E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Coolant

It seems the more I repair the car the more it needs. Yes yes, I've already it's '10' years old, I get it. Now while I wait for the rest of the parts to continue this journey of repairing till I die, I shall fix the ongoing coolant leak I have. When I was having this problem with my fan clutch I decided to replace the water pump in hopes that, that was the problem. I fixed the fan clutch problem..but now I have coolant leak. I have to add water every morning and before I leave work. Gah! So far I have a new water pump, new expansion tank, cap, and brass bleeder screw, but it's still leaking. I know I'm going to get told to replace 'everything else', yea I know, but with everything else I'm repairing you'd think you'd have a little sympathy for me, haha. It's leaking exactly where the radiator is so my guess is that it's bad. The irony is that it happened right after I replaced the water pump? Great. It was just fine before.
always-there is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
always-there

Been tols*
Old 11-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
always-there

Been told* damn it lol
Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
You may need a new radiator, but it could be the expansion tank bracket, especially if you have an automatic. The transmission cooler connects to that part and sucks off some coolant. Mine is leaking slightly (like 2 drops per day).
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
always-there

I accidentally broke the bracket from the expansion tank to the radiator...but what does that have to do with the coolant leak I'm getting.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
always-there

Oh..but how?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
WDE46

The automatic transmission cooler connects to the cooling system at that location I think.

Just look at the bottom part there. You can see where the joint is. Compare that to the manual tranny version:

Someone please correct me if that is not what actually hooks up there on the autos...

Last edited by WDE46; 11-28-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
always-there

So it's taking in coolant or perhaps I didn't push the expansion tank in far enough? It does leave a big water stain/puddle whenever I leave work.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Figure out which side of the car the leak is on.

Drivers side likely the expansion tank or something in that area.

Passenger side likely the fan switch in the lower radiator hose.

Make sure you look at the top of the lower engine cover and not just on the ground. The lower engine cover can catch and redirect any leaks.

Fan switch O-ring is a VERY common leak, cheap and easy to fix. Part number in my signature.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
If you didn't use radiator hose lube (or some other water based lubricant) to push the expansion tank onto the bracket, that may be it. However, if that didn't seal, I would think you'd lose all of your coolant and overheat in a few miles. I would jack the front of the car up and crawl under it with the engine running and just meditate for a few hours. You'll find out where it's leaking. Just make sure you use good jack stands.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Here's a thread where I'd approve of Mango's usual "Follow the links in my signature" input. A majority of members all have random cooling system related failures after 100k miles, just replace all that you haven't yet and be done with it. Do it once the right way and all your woes will be gone, trust me. I did mine in the summer including radiator for $450 and haven't had an issue since. You've already done some of the items, just do the things you haven't done yet and you'll be good to go and have piece of mind. I also hope you've been filling it with distilled water and not just tap or spring water over and over again...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
always-there

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
always-there

Today my car overheated due to it leaking a huge amount of water. Now I have to see what is leaking tomorrow morning. Guys, I like how the car drives; I just hate the stupidity BMW invested in how reliable they made the car, and I'm pointing out the cooling system. Why the need of an expansion tank ? Why not just a simple radiator without all the additional unnecessary fragile plastic they add ? If I could go back or had the option, I'd go for an STI !
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #14
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Sounds like an unreliable owner, not car...
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Big steve clare

My Ride: E46 touring 318 se
I had this problem on my e46 and I two leaks in the end which took me a long time to find but it was the radiator and the little heater pipe plastic connecter at the rear the rear of the engine it was very cheap but not that good to get to good luck mate
From Steve
Big steve clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Today my car overheated due to it leaking a huge amount of water. Now I have to see what is leaking tomorrow morning. Guys, I like how the car drives; I just hate the stupidity BMW invested in how reliable they made the car, and I'm pointing out the cooling system. Why the need of an expansion tank ? Why not just a simple radiator without all the additional unnecessary fragile plastic they add ? If I could go back or had the option, I'd go for an STI !
For this type of pressurized system you have to have an expansion tank. There is no way around it. Why they went with a pressurized system, I have no idea.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #17
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy46 View Post
Sounds like an unreliable owner, not car...
This.

The issues with the cooling system are so ridiculously well documented that you'd have to be a fool not to expect this. Basically you could have avoided this by avoiding this. Overhaul your system for

Last edited by EverydayGetaway; 12-20-2012 at 07:48 AM.
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
I saw this scribbled on the sidewalk

"For E46Mango so loved E46fanatics, he wrote the *E46 Cooling Guide (information w/ complete parts list*, that whosoever followeth thy guide shall never overheat, but experience everlasting cooling."

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
always-there

It's not that I'm "unreliable", the previous owner just neglected to maintain this car so much that I'm stuck having to renew literally the whole car. Unreliable? Nope. I take care of all my cars.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
always-there

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I saw this scribbled on the sidewalk

"For E46Mango so loved E46fanatics, he wrote the *E46 Cooling Guide (information w/ complete parts list*, that whosoever followeth thy guide shall never overheat, but experience everlasting cooling."
Yes I know Mango. Thank you for all your help.