E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #41
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
did someone say get clears?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #42
Nico16

My Ride: 2000 323i
If you fix it, I think that's gonna run like crab.
Nico16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #43
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
there's so much wrong with your statement.

But I digress. OP, glad you're ok. Car looks done.
Sorry I'm no insurance adjuster
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #44
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Sorry I'm no insurance adjuster
Be thankful for that.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #45
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Be thankful for that.
yup... thankless job
Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #46
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Airbags need a sudden decelleration to deploy. A car can be hit with enough force to kill the car but not deploy the bags. Basically, it takes 20mph or higher to make the airbags deploy. If the car that did the damage was only doing 15 at the time of impact, then this is below the threshold for deployment. Perhaps my numbers are a bit out of whack, but the idea is still true -- it takes a certain impact to deploy the airbags, and if the impact is below the threshold then the bags will remain intact.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #47
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Airbags need a sudden decelleration to deploy. A car can be hit with enough force to kill the car but not deploy the bags. Basically, it takes 20mph or higher to make the airbags deploy. If the car that did the damage was only doing 15 at the time of impact, then this is below the threshold for deployment. Perhaps my numbers are a bit out of whack, but the idea is still true -- it takes a certain impact to deploy the airbags, and if the impact is below the threshold then the bags will remain intact.
you were right in your first two sentences, then completely contradicted yourself.

Airbag sensors are generally around a decellerometer/inertial design. They measure how quickly the car changes acceleration in the specified direction.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #48
Gr-Racing

My Ride: 325i
Not totaled, A door at a junker like 350 to 400 top and the rest at the shop.
Gr-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #49
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing View Post
Not totaled, A door at a junker like 350 to 400 top and the rest at the shop.
that car is most likely going to need a 1/4 panel.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #50
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
you were right in your first two sentences, then completely contradicted yourself.

Airbag sensors are generally around a decellerometer/inertial design. They measure how quickly the car changes acceleration in the specified direction.
Whatever. If the change in speed or direction is below a threshold, the bags will not deploy.

If the car is going X and suddenly is going zero, OR is going zero and suddenly is going X, then whether or not the airgbags deploy depends on how much difference there is in X and zero. If the impact is small, then X and zero are close together, if the impact is large then X is considerably different than zero. Airbags protect you from a large impact, if trhe impact is not large then the airbags are not needed and they can easily do more damage than they protect against.

I can't recall ever hearing of an airbag going off in a car that was not moving when it was wrecked. I'm not saying it does not happen, I just don't recall a specific instance where this is true. I see no reason it would not be true, but I am not an engineer on the team that figured out how to make an airbag work. What I do know is that there has to be a certain impact or greater, else the airbags do not deploy. That is what I said earlier, and tried to describe the conditions.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #51
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
So OP what happened to the car?

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #52
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Sorry to hear.
Are the roof racks up for grabs? Is so I am interested.
Thanks.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #53
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Are the roof racks up for grabs? Is so I am interested.
Thanks.
Delmarco you are awesome but I really don't think it's time to ask OP about car parts

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #54
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Whatever. If the change in speed or direction is below a threshold, the bags will not deploy.

If the car is going X and suddenly is going zero, OR is going zero and suddenly is going X, then whether or not the airgbags deploy depends on how much difference there is in X and zero. If the impact is small, then X and zero are close together, if the impact is large then X is considerably different than zero. Airbags protect you from a large impact, if trhe impact is not large then the airbags are not needed and they can easily do more damage than they protect against.

I can't recall ever hearing of an airbag going off in a car that was not moving when it was wrecked. I'm not saying it does not happen, I just don't recall a specific instance where this is true. I see no reason it would not be true, but I am not an engineer on the team that figured out how to make an airbag work. What I do know is that there has to be a certain impact or greater, else the airbags do not deploy. That is what I said earlier, and tried to describe the conditions.
When you get rear ended the airbags go off, and you often aren't moving.

And why did you take what NOVA presented simply and make it so complicated?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #55
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Totaled +1..

There's more than one way to skin a cat, but to fix this car up right (OEM parts, OEM quality paint, OEM fixtures), it all adds up. I wouldn't take my car to any place other than a BMW-approved body shop and use OEM parts, but that's just me. Either way, to do it right, you'd be well over 5k easily. Seems like the two shops you took it to said the same thing, any updates..?

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #56
swaggerwagon

My Ride: 2005 330i
if it is totalled...ill buy it from you. whole car

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings
swaggerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #57
E46 S54B32

My Ride: 323ci
Sorry for lack of updates, car was at the shop about a week insurance declares the car a total loss and offered $4,900 which I rejected and told them they'd be hearing from my lawyer soon, how much you think the cars worth? 1 owner mint condition all options premium and sport package with a good amount of money in modifications only hard hot is that it has 190,000 miles I'm going to miss her :'(

-oem m3 front -oem m3 hood -oem m3 sideskirts-conforti intake -h&r race springs -TR Motorsport C2's -smoked corners/sidemarkers -smoked LED tails-CF CSL trunk-Black roof vinyl
E46 S54B32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #58
ThreeOhFive

My Ride: 2002 330i
$4,900 with 190k... that wasn't too far off the mark, especially for a 323. Create a lot of hassle for her insurance company and they may offer more to settle quickly, but chances are you will lose some on this car.

Last edited by ThreeOhFive; 12-06-2012 at 09:33 AM.
ThreeOhFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #59
E46inthe206

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
5.5k!
E46inthe206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #60
ZHPinthe103

My Ride: 325i Black on beige
i love these threads