E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
BMW Bluetooth system compatibility question

Guy, I have a question concerning the BMW OEM Bluetooth system & pairing with my Android Samsung S phone. FYI, I have searched the DIY section & found edwincamacho's write up but the procedure is not working with my phonehttp://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=bluetooth+oem
My question is; can the OEM bluetooth system be 'turned off'? Since I'm not the original owner, I'm wondering if this was disabled. How would you know? Is there a test to see if it's working or functional?
I have been able to pair the phone with other devices bit not the BMW OEM system. Is there something that I need to do that is not listed somewhere on his write up? BTW, my samsung android is with US Cellular and I noticed that if I go to BMW's website to check phone testing with the BMW system, it doesn't even list US Cellular on their drop down list.
Any thoughts or suggestion appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
[USMC]Skywalker

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330Ci
Seeing that you have 05, you probably have the Assist which means you have a TCU (Telematics Control Unit), it is located on the left side of the trunk (other side to where the battery is) on top of where the CD Changer goes. If you open the liner you will see the silver rectangular box. Locate it and on top of that there should be a four digit pin number, write it down. Now all TCU are in pairing mode only the first 30 seconds after turning the key to ignition position2. Pretty much once it gets power it goes into pairing more for 30 seconds. Search for it by turning the phone discover mode on and you will see either "Hands Free" or "BMW#####" on your phone. Select pair and it will ask for the four digit pin enter it and you are good. It will automatically download all the phone numbers. I have paired all phones including the iphones and they all work perfect. Let me know if it works or if you have more questions.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by [USMC]Skywalker View Post
Seeing that you have 05, you probably have the Assist which means you have a TCU (Telematics Control Unit), it is located on the left side of the trunk (other side to where the battery is) on top of where the CD Changer goes. If you open the liner you will see the silver rectangular box. Locate it and on top of that there should be a four digit pin number, write it down. Now all TCU are in pairing mode only the first 30 seconds after turning the key to ignition position2. Pretty much once it gets power it goes into pairing more for 30 seconds. Search for it by turning the phone discover mode on and you will see either "Hands Free" or "BMW#####" on your phone. Select pair and it will ask for the four digit pin enter it and you are good. It will automatically download all the phone numbers. I have paired all phones including the iphones and they all work perfect. Let me know if it works or if you have more questions.
Hey Skywalker...thanks for the reply. BTW, Semper Fi! ('67-'70)
1. Yes, I have the TCU, as the Bluetooth assist is listed on the window sticker & I have the rear view mirror with the SOS.
2. I have the original owners card with the 4 digit PIN# printed on it.
3. I go thru the pairing instructions per the BMW book & the DIY link I showed but no request for pin# or anything else.
4. Here's what I do. I turn on my Smartphone's bluetooth, go to bluetooth settings; make my phone discoverable; I then turn the key on the car to position #1 (have tried #2 as well) then initiate "discoverable" on the phone. Phone says it's "scanning for devices" as well gives me a count down of 120 sec that it's "discoverable". I do NOT see anything coming up on the car anywhere or the phone. The phone just can not find the TCU. I even tried pushing the R/T button on the steering wheel and nada. nothing. I have done this with other devices & do get the "PIN request" so do know what comes up AFTER it finds the device. This is acting as if the device is not active.
5. I even tried pushing the SOS button on my mirror for the "mechanic help" and nothing happens. I'm afraid to do it for the "HELP" button, thinking that I'm going to set some 911 call.

Is there a fuse that I need to check for this? Can the TCU be unplugged? Is there an easy way to check this?

Thanks again.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Be careful here, with a convertible the TCU is not in the "normal" coupe or sedan location. It is in the trunk, but a PITA to access.

Not all cars had the BT option, also ALL the documentation regarding the BT pairing is mostly incorrect, or at least any reference to a pairing button.

If your car has SOS, then likely you have the BT, but no guarantee. Additionally you could have either the TCU or ULF module and it could be disabled electronically. Also the BT systems are known to hang and many times you have to pull a few fuses to "reset" the BT module so it works again.

First thing you should do is hold down the microphone button on the steering wheel for about 10-15 seconds and see if you get a woman's voice for voice command. If you do, then you have a BT module in the car. If you do not get a woman's voice, then you may or may not have a BT Module.

The later model cars go into pairing mode automatically when the car is started like the previous poster noted. You should be able hit your T/R button on the steering wheel and see if the radio says "Searching" when the car is started.

You will need either NavCoder or BMW Scanner 1.4.0 if the module is disabled. Do not waste your time or money with a dealer, they are too expensive and know far too little about the BT modules in these cars.

If you do not have a BT module, you can likely add one, but it expensive and there may be other options to check out.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
having just replaced the TCU on my 04 x5, I think its possible that once BMW assist is disabled because it expires, the TCU somehow gets 'turned off'. Perhaps its looking for a specific connection it no longer has. I say this because I had a similar experiance where SOS and assist didnt work. I took the car to the dealer for something else and on a sheet they printed I saw 'assist' disabled. as soon as I swapped in a newer unit, it fired right up and I am chatting away.

YMMV

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Be careful here, with a convertible the TCU is not in the "normal" coupe or sedan location. It is in the trunk, but a PITA to access.

Not all cars had the BT option, also ALL the documentation regarding the BT pairing is mostly incorrect, or at least any reference to a pairing button.

If your car has SOS, then likely you have the BT, but no guarantee. Additionally you could have either the TCU or ULF module and it could be disabled electronically. Also the BT systems are known to hang and many times you have to pull a few fuses to "reset" the BT module so it works again.

First thing you should do is hold down the microphone button on the steering wheel for about 10-15 seconds and see if you get a woman's voice for voice command. If you do, then you have a BT module in the car. If you do not get a woman's voice, then you may or may not have a BT Module.

The later model cars go into pairing mode automatically when the car is started like the previous poster noted. You should be able hit your T/R button on the steering wheel and see if the radio says "Searching" when the car is started.

You will need either NavCoder or BMW Scanner 1.4.0 if the module is disabled. Do not waste your time or money with a dealer, they are too expensive and know far too little about the BT modules in these cars.

If you do not have a BT module, you can likely add one, but it expensive and there may be other options to check out.
Hey.....GOT IT WORKIN! I checked all the fuses and they were good, so I found the TCU in the truck opposite the back seat on the drivers side, actually mounted to the vertical wall behind the rear seat. Then I saw a connector laying next to it. Wala!!! IT'S UNPLUGGED...I plugged it in & it paired with my android after typing in the PIN#. Pretty cool stuff. It down loaded my phone book. Then I stumbled on the voice commands by holding down the "connect/disconnect" button on the steering wheel. Phone works fine, I'm just gona have to see what all it will do.
Thanks for all the help guys!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
jfoj

I believe fuse #7 & #45 may need to be pulled??

I think they are listed as Radio fuses.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
[USMC]Skywalker

Semper fi Man, I am glad you figured it out. THough our e46 are older the bluetooth is soo simple and easy. Way less complicated than newer cars.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
tommy d

My Ride: 2005 330i
Can I ask a question in this thread as I have a 2005 and can't get my Iphone 4 to pair to my new to me car. I have the SOS button and a sharkfin. My situation is similar but different. I hit the R/T button on the steering wheel and it displays on the radio "Activate Phone". The BT on my phone finds the car BMWXXXX and I enter the passkey. The phone then says Pairing Unsuccessful and that the passcode is correct but the radio isn't ready. So what do I have to do to "ready" the radio or car?
I ordered a BMW scanner 1.40 last week from China, so I might need to wait till the scanner shows up.
1998 Ford Taurus SE - 106K miles
1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 - 232K miles

Last edited by tommy d; 11-30-2012 at 08:22 PM.
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
jfoj

Pull radio fuses and try again. I cannot recall for sure which ones, but I think #7 & #45??? Leave them out for at least 30 seconds.

Someone may have changed passcode from what is on the label if this is where you are getting the passcode.

Some rumors are the pass code is the last 4 digits of the VIN, however, I find this very unlikely in every case I have looked into.

Should not be a compatibility issue with the car or the phone.

Suggest you try to pair something else to the phone and car and see what does not work.

BMW Scanner will allow you to enable, disable, change passcode and flush out old phones. Sometimes too many phones paired cause issues as well?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
[USMC]Skywalker

make sure the passcode is correct, open the trunk liner and look for the code that is on the sticker on the module itself

Last edited by [USMC]Skywalker; 11-30-2012 at 09:24 PM.
[USMC]Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
bimmernut3

You might want to "delete all phones" that have been paired before. The system will allow up to 4 phones, so there may be any issue there. Does your car have another activation button under the center arm rest toward the rear of the car? Do you have a copy of the "BMW Telephone User's Manual For Bluetooth"? The procedure is listed on page 8. Let me know if you don't have the manual.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
jfoj

The problem is the BT manual really does not match up very well with MANY of the BT Systems in these cars. Maybe it is year specific, but I can tell you my '06 E46 Vert has no buttons and the books are not even close to covering my car or even giving details about voice dialing.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
tommy d

No Button on the console, I have the manual, and tried just about everything. Apparently the 2005 with assist didn;t have the pairing button. I did read multiple posts about this pairing and it does say you can have 4 phones connected and when you connect the 5th one, the first one is deleted. I also removed the liner to look for the exact code but there was none on the module. I didn't have time to remove the module yet to look at the underside.
So I used 0000 and 1234 and the strange thing is on the phone while connecting it says the "passcode is correct". Go figure.
The real issue in my case is having the radio go into the BT pairing mode. How to active that is a mystery.
So next plan of attack is remove the module for the exact passcode. Try that, if not, remove the 2 fuses specified, and then if that doesn't work I'll try the BMW scanner when it arrives. I'll post back if I get it to work.
Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
tommy d

OK, my BMW Scanner 1.40 was finally deliveried after waiting a month. I got it all hooked up with the help of a few other posts and immediately went in the phone section. There it listed the bluetooth information with the passcode. I entered that and I still couldn't get the unit ready to connect to the system. But there was an actual "pair" button on my computer screen in the scanner software as well and I clicked on that. Another screen came up and asked to enter 1234567890 on the phone and walla, the phone connected. It now works as it should and I'm able to view my phone directory directly on the radio screen. Hope this helps others.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy d View Post
OK, my BMW Scanner 1.40 was finally deliveried after waiting a month. I got it all hooked up with the help of a few other posts and immediately went in the phone section. There it listed the bluetooth information with the passcode. I entered that and I still couldn't get the unit ready to connect to the system. But there was an actual "pair" button on my computer screen in the scanner software as well and I clicked on that. Another screen came up and asked to enter 1234567890 on the phone and walla, the phone connected. It now works as it should and I'm able to view my phone directory directly on the radio screen. Hope this helps others.
Tommy d....where'd you get your Scanner 1.4? What all can you do with it?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
[USMC]Skywalker

If you have the TCU (BT Module with Assist), it automatically goes into pairing mode for 30 seconds after the key is turned to ignition 2. Your phone will discover it and you have to enter the passcode that is found on top of the module. However if you have an ULF, you need a pairing button, or you can make one by connecting pin 17 i believe and the ground in the connector located inside the center console. I made one using a button from radio shack. Once you make the button, hold the button down for one second, turn the ignition on to position 2, keep holding the button for another 2 seconds and the ULF will go into pairing mode. Hope this helps