E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Meyle problems?

My Meyle HD control arms don't make any noise. I still tramline though. I think it's my strut mounts, but there isn't any noise there either. I gotta inspect this weekend when I do my brakes.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
My Meyle control arms have roughly 35k miles on them. still solid as day 1 (i put the car on a lift every so often and inspect for play) the bushings are still also rock solid

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Maybe that wasn't very mature of me.

Meyle is a good company- a very good company for some things.

As with most all other brands, occasionally they ship defective parts.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Quote:
Maybe that wasn't very mature of me.

Meyle is a good company- a very good company for some things.

As with most all other brands, occasionally they ship defective parts.
It seems like there have been a lot of problems with Meyle control arms lately. I also found out that many of the Meyle oil level sensors are defective; I know because I had one of them . My bad oil level sensor was made in China and I'm assuming that their control arms are being made there also, which may explain their lower level of quality.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
Mesa3077Boogie

My Ride: 325i Sport Package 0
Just did the Meyle HD Arms/wishbones HD FCABS , tie rods/boots and new sway bar end links. The Meyle HD arms are FANTASTIC!

Your problem is most definitely the sway bar end links. Hopefully you replaced em when you had the wishbones and everything else out..

Your sway bar end links may either be shot or just loose. I remember even my stock shocks and end links needed washers because the threading was much longer than the thickness of the mounting point on the shocks. If you dont have the washer on there, you would tighten the end link all the way down but it would rattle because it wouldnt be actually tight on the shocks mounting point. I hope that makes sense.

Here's another scenario that you could have;

Depending on your suspension set up, the bottom of the sway bar end link may bang the MEYLE control arm! Remove the wheel and look for nicks on the control arm right below where the sway bar connects to the sway bar end links. This happened to me. If your lowered your ride or are no longer using the OE suspension you will need adjustable length sway bar end links and may need to shorten them 1-3 inches shorter than the stock length to avoid the bottom sway bar end link ball joint banging the control arm.

If you cant get the adjustable end links soon or dont want to, you can rig something like I did to artificially shorten them so nothing bangs.

Here's what I did:

I cut a 2x 4" long x 2" Wide 1/4" thick galvanized steel plates.

I drilled 2 holes in each of the steel plates. One hole on the top of the plate, one hole on the bottom of the plate. The drilled holes are the exact same size as the stud in the sway bar end links.

I then purchased 1.5" long bolts the same thickness of the sway bar end link studs along with some lock washers, fender washers and of course corresponding bolts.

I bolted one bar to each shock using the lock washers. I bolted the bars facing upwards to the part on the shock where the sway bar end link would normally connect to the front shock.

After the bar was bolted on, I then drilled an additional small hole through both the galvanized steel plate and the shocks "sway bar end link mounting plate" right next to where the sway bar end link would normally bolt to the shock.

This then allows you to connect the sway bar end link about 3 inches higher than It would normally bolt to , to avoid the bottom of the end link from smacking the control arm. The additional small hole described above prevents the galvanized plate from spinning because there are now 2 bolt holes instead of one.

"Brakes Stop The Wheels, Tires Stop The Car"
Mesa3077Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #26
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I've had my Meyle HD control arms and bushings for almost 10k now and I have no complaints. I had 125k on my old control arms and around 60k on my old bushings and the difference is night and day.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
325adam

My Ride: 02 330i
I'm getting the same "clunking" noise after a pretty thorough suspension refresh consisting of: Meyle Control Arms, OEM control arm bushings, OEM sway bar links, OE Sway bar bushings and tie rods. I'm so fed up that I will probably take it to an indy to check it all out, re-torque and check for any issues that I have not been able to find.
325adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #28
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325adam View Post
I'm getting the same "clunking" noise after a pretty thorough suspension refresh consisting of: Meyle Control Arms, OEM control arm bushings, OEM sway bar links, OE Sway bar bushings and tie rods. I'm so fed up that I will probably take it to an indy to check it all out, re-torque and check for any issues that I have not been able to find.
Strut mounts probably. Maybe even the struts themselves.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
Teraxx

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I've had my Meyle HD control arms and bushings for almost 10k now and I have no complaints. I had 125k on my old control arms and around 60k on my old bushings and the difference is night and day.
Good to hear people are at least getting something of value from their Meyle parts, but they are made in China. I searched numerous forums and they all seemed to say the same thing: Go OEM or Lemforder (Made in Germany and what I chose for my front control arms, bushings, tie rods and sway bar links). My gosh, what a difference after I put these bad boys on.
Teraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #30
Mesa3077Boogie

My Ride: 325i Sport Package 0
I have heard that our sway bar end links even when new can be loud and make popping sounds when turning..

OP, does it happen when parked and turning the wheel or when driving?

"Brakes Stop The Wheels, Tires Stop The Car"
Mesa3077Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #31
Juliopinto03

My Ride: 2000 328i
Absoutely right! Thank you!! rides so smooth
Juliopinto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #32
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraxx View Post
Good to hear people are at least getting something of value from their Meyle parts, but they are made in China. I searched numerous forums and they all seemed to say the same thing: Go OEM or Lemforder (Made in Germany and what I chose for my front control arms, bushings, tie rods and sway bar links). My gosh, what a difference after I put these bad boys on.
You're clueless. The fact that something was manufactured in China does not indicate that it is junk or even low quality. I've done my research on this. Meyle adheres to the same quality control standards as every other big part manufacturer. It doesn't matter where the parts are manufactured. As long as the factory adheres to the ISO standards, the parts coming out are free of defects and problems. What really matters is the design, which I think Meyle has done an excellent job on. The tired argument of, "Go genuine, OE or Lemfoerder" for control arms and bushings is a total waste at this point. You can spend more to get the OE or genuine name and feel better about it, but in the end numerous members here are running Meyle with absolutely no issues.

My iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, numerous iPods and other awesome Apple products are all manufactured in China and I love them.

As I stated previously, it makes no difference where the parts originate. It's all about the design, materials and quality assurance practices. Meyle earns high marks with all of these. Not to mention, not all Meyle parts are made in China. They manufacture parts all over the world. Even Germany itself if I'm not mistaken.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
Juliopinto03

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Place a block of wood directly under the balljoint you are tightening then jack that block of wood up a decent amount to get some weight of the car on it. Then torque the nut. i hope you're using genuine bmw nuts (brand new) i think the torque is around 48 ft lbs. (don't quote me on it though)
I did exactly that and it went away. However after driving it about 10 miles the DSC light came on and it's been on. What would cause this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354417200.637778.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	480414  
Juliopinto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #34
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
I vote endlinks as well. It's easiest to blast them on with an impact BUT know that you have to use a deep socket. A friend of mine had the same issue because he didn't think to use a deep socket.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #35
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliopinto03 View Post
I did exactly that and it went away. However after driving it about 10 miles the DSC light came on and it's been on. What would cause this ?
You probably need an alignment and a steering angle sensor reset after having all that work done.

If your alignment is too far off, your DSC will get confused as to the angle of the car in relation to the angle of the steering wheel and it'll cause an error.

Last edited by briangl92; 12-01-2012 at 10:50 PM.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #36
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa3077Boogie View Post
I have heard that our sway bar end links even when new can be loud and make popping sounds when turning..
No, they should not pop or clunk when new.

Quote:
You're clueless. The fact that something was manufactured in China does not indicate that it is junk or even low quality. I've done my research on this. Meyle adheres to the same quality control standards as every other big part manufacturer. It doesn't matter where the parts are manufactured. As long as the factory adheres to the ISO standards, the parts coming out are free of defects and problems. What really matters is the design, which I think Meyle has done an excellent job on. The tired argument of, "Go genuine, OE or Lemfoerder" for control arms and bushings is a total waste at this point. You can spend more to get the OE or genuine name and feel better about it, but in the end numerous members here are running Meyle with absolutely no issues.

They manufacture parts all over the world. Even Germany itself if I'm not mistaken.
I'm pretty sure Meyle is not a manufacturer, they contract with other companies so all of their parts may not be of equivalent quality.

And I absolutely would not put blind faith in all of Meyle's products.

They do sell some quality parts, and they sell some crap parts. The safe bet, if one is ever unsure, is to buy from the brand who made the part originally for BMW.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #37
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Meyle is not a manufacturer, they contract with other companies so all of their parts may not be of equivalent quality.

And I absolutely would not put blind faith in all of Meyle's products.

They do sell some quality parts, and they sell some crap parts. The safe bet, if one is ever unsure, is to buy from the brand who made the part originally for BMW.
I really don't have an issue with using specific parts from them. Meyle itself is a manufacturer with its own facilities, but they also contract with others. I always exercise due diligence before selecting what manufacturer I trust for a specific part. My car has a genuine oil level sensor, but Meyle control arms, bushings and numerous other parts. So far, so good. I was never advocating that anyone should blindly trust Meyle parts. I take all advice and generally accepted opinion with a grain of salt. The parts carry a warranty and are manufactured under strict quality guidelines according to this statement:

http://www.meyle.com/_download/compa...ificate-en.pdf

What I was originally addressing was the stupidity of the comment claiming Meyle parts are junk because some of them are manufactured in China. That just isn't true.

Last edited by tock172; 12-02-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #38
jimmy325i

My Ride: 325 sedan
Never will I again purchase non OE parts. I have meyle arms on the car and they squeal like hell when i turn corners. Never purchase non oe equipment no matter what the claims are.
jimmy325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #39
Teraxx

Quote:
What I was originally addressing was the stupidity of the comment claiming Meyle parts are junk because some of them are manufactured in China. That just isn't true.
If you mean me, I never said they were junk. I said that Meyle (as far as I know) doesn't manufacture their parts in Germany, but, instead, do so in China. Now, that doesn't mean the Meyle parts are junk.

But if you ask anyone on this board, would you rather pay 100 dollars for a Meyle part or 200 to 250 for one made in Germany by an OEM manufacturer, Genuine BMW or, the brand I chose, Lemforder, I think you'd receive consistent answers on which ones to choose. That is all.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #40
Teraxx

Quote:
As I stated previously, it makes no difference where the parts originate. It's all about the design, materials and quality assurance practices. Meyle earns high marks with all of these. Not to mention, not all Meyle parts are made in China. They manufacture parts all over the world. Even Germany itself if I'm not mistaken.
I think you are mistaken. If you can find a factory that builds Meyle parts located physically in Germany, I will stand corrected.

Also, to say that 'it doesn't matter where a part is manufactured' is living with blinders on, sir. There's a reason Swiss watches and German industrial products are the best and most sought out in the world. High standards, high wages paid to the workers, meticulous machining and serious quality control.

Tags
bushings, clunk noise, control arms, meyle, suspension