E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
Dathaeus

My Ride: 1997 328i+SportsPack
2003 ZHP Camber

Isnt the camber supposed to be adjusted to -0.5 on the 2003 ZHP? I just got new tires and they did an analysis on the wheels/axle, and it shows in the attached image.....

Are these numbers within acceptable tolerance? I assume more neg camber means it will help hold turns better but it will create more uneven tire wear on straight line driving?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003-ZHP-Camber - web.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	480068  
Tires: BBS 17" rims
Hankook Ventus V12
Front: 225/45ZR
Rear: 255/40ZR

Answerway.com
Dathaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
nae36

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...rmance_Package

According to this document the specs look correct regarding front camber. Correct when the car rolls with a turn the tire will move towards 0 degrees or positive degrees depending on how hard the turn was taken. There is a little noticeable tire wear with negative camber in the straight line but it has to deal with the toe settings more than the camber settings. Uneven tire wear is just the nature of the beast when driving a sports car.
nae36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
For an unloaded E46, -1.5 to -1.8 degrees of rear camber is perfect. BMW specifies -2 degrees with a load ballast (I'm pretty sure). Camber decreases (becomes more negative) with decreasing ride height.

As for your toe, that is fine too. You want just a little toe in on the front and rear.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Interesting that there is so much less camber in the front compared to the rear. I would generally expect the opposite. Your alignment is perfectly even, most shops I've been to don't take the time to do it that accurately.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
My shop nails the alignment, per my specs, to the absolute tee. But yeah more negative camber in the rear is normal and common on BMWs. This is for safer driving (for the general public) that's why the rear tires on BMWs wear out so fast. toe in + negative camber.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Dathaeus

Thanks guys! Makes me feel a lot better.. will have to take it to my lifetime free alignment at Firestone since I just got new tires but nice to know.

Should I actually take #'s and take it to them, and does anyone have those specs my car should have if perfect? I wouldnt be surprised if they were not familiar with a ZHP's specs. I hope they dont do a bad job but I have been going to them for like the last 10 years. They always give me a computer report when I ask for it etc... (P.S. I have 17" BBS, not sure if that matters)
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
subieworx

My Ride: ZHP, 335, E53, E30
I would want the front camber evened out more than anything. Either .5 or 1.1 is fine for daily driving. I drive my ZHP 20000 miles per year with neg 1.8 front camber, .1* total toe in front, neg 1.5 rear camber and .1* toe in rear. Tire wear is perfectly even and the car handles well.

On my 335 I run neg 3.2 camber front and neg 1.8 rear with the same toe settings as the ZHP and get only slightly accelerated front inside tire wear.

With these rear settings rear tire wear is even.

Last edited by subieworx; 11-29-2012 at 06:32 PM.
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
Thanks guys! Makes me feel a lot better.. will have to take it to my lifetime free alignment at Firestone since I just got new tires but nice to know.

Should I actually take #'s and take it to them, and does anyone have those specs my car should have if perfect? I wouldnt be surprised if they were not familiar with a ZHP's specs. I hope they dont do a bad job but I have been going to them for like the last 10 years. They always give me a computer report when I ask for it etc... (P.S. I have 17" BBS, not sure if that matters)
They can do it. Most shops seem to have the Hunter laser computer alignment device. It has the specs of almost every car on the road in it's computer. The shop I went to once (generic oil change/AC/alignment place) even got instructions on how to weight the car according to BMW. I told them to ignore it and subtract 10-20% from the camber specs.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
Dathaeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
I would want the front camber evened out more than anything. Either .5 or 1.1 is fine for daily driving. I drive my ZHP 20000 miles per year with neg 1.8 front camber, .1* total toe in front, neg 1.5 rear camber and .1* toe in rear. Tire wear is perfectly even and the car handles well.

On my 335 I run neg 3.2 camber front and neg 1.8 rear with the same toe settings as the ZHP and get only slightly accelerated front inside tire wear.

With these rear settings rear tire wear is even.
Do you mean -0.5 to -1.1? It seems like such a small difference, is that kind of camber adjustment worth much on hard turns, i.e., can you actually feel the difference when you are not racing all the time and just turning aggressively in every day driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
They can do it. Most shops seem to have the Hunter laser computer alignment device. It has the specs of almost every car on the road in it's computer. The shop I went to once (generic oil change/AC/alignment place) even got instructions on how to weight the car according to BMW. I told them to ignore it and subtract 10-20% from the camber specs.
Meaning they should have the ZHP stats in there as well? I am going to Firestone where I do think they use the electronic equipment to get everything right.
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
subieworx

My Ride: ZHP, 335, E53, E30
You will feel it in a daily driver car more in terms of the car going straight down the road. With camber being that far off it can cause the wheel to pull one direction.
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote