E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #21
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Don't mean to bump this thread, but I'm having some issues installing.

For some reason i'll turn the key and it will get stuck with only about 20* of play. And since the sleeve isn't matching up with the tumbler, it won't release the key. Has anyone had this issue? any tips? i tried 4 times, and each time i had to jimmy the retaining clip off or break it. (i broke the oem and the replacement) now i ordered another kit.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #22
StKittsBimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Silver or Gold?

Thanks for this great post Shane. I couldn't figure out why my key would snap back into the horizontal position instead of the correct vertical one. After reading your post, I realized that there is really only one way to configure the cylinder correctly. Once I realized that, I realized that I was using the wrong middle plate. The kit comes with a silver and a gold middle plate. I used the silver one (for hours) and when I switched to the gold one, it worked the first time snapping back into the vertical position. I couldn't tell because that was the broken part on my cylinder. Also, on a different site, someone mentioned they were successful using the silver one so I just took for granted that that was not the problem. Seems like the Silver plate is for right sided doors (Europe) and the Gold plate is for left sided doors (North America). Just wanted to save someone else the trouble I went through.

Thanks for a great and detailed post.
StKittsBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #23
StKittsBimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
Don't mean to bump this thread, but I'm having some issues installing.

For some reason i'll turn the key and it will get stuck with only about 20* of play. And since the sleeve isn't matching up with the tumbler, it won't release the key. Has anyone had this issue? any tips? i tried 4 times, and each time i had to jimmy the retaining clip off or break it. (i broke the oem and the replacement) now i ordered another kit.
Hey SL, not sure what you mean. Is the key stuck in the lock cylinder with the lock cylinder out of the door. Or is the key stuck with the lock cylinder still in the door?
StKittsBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
FFWD

My Ride: 99 323i, 01 M3 Cab
Are the repair kits only available through EBAY, and which ones are good, or are they all the same? I only need the one piece shown below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekhalifa99 View Post
step 3
Depending on what side of the car you are doing, your kit should have came with 2 of the same pieces but look slightly different. If your kit does not tell you what side goes on the right and left then you must put it all together and if it doesnt work, take it apaart and redo with the other piece. (trial and error)

FFWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
i was good on all the steps up until putting that spring thing back in. It royally kicked my ass.

I ended up breaking all the new pieces trying to figure it out.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #26
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
There is no wrong spring or parts. It is either parts for a LHD car or RHD car. If you are in North America where all the cars are LHD then the obvious mistake is ordering your kit from a country where all the cars are RHD!

The USA Sellers on eBay selling this kit usually state it is for LHD cars or may ship with two sets of components that are specific to LHD or RHD locks.

Another thing is the spring seems to be the most durable part of the entire assembly and least likely to have failed even if the plates or tumbler rods are broken. So just re-use your original spring if you are in doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulmann View Post
Tough job ...

Some pictures are wrong in shanekhalifa99's post and the wrong spring is being shipped !!!

I spend more than an hour to figure out how to install this repair kit.

I bought the parts from osco_ltd from Ebay, London.

The guy has absolutely no idea how to install the kit.

1. The spring shipped with the kit is a wrong spring !! The spring's ends must point towards each other and not oposite directions. The spring used by shanekhalifa99 is the right spring.

2. TEST everything before installing the spring and the rod. I ended up having the wrong spring jammed under the retaining clip. I still can't believe that I managed to desassemble the parts jammed (took me 15 min)

3. On the pictures shanekhalifa99 installs the wrong middle plate. This middle plate is for the right side (Passenger). So don't follow shanekhalifa99's picture for this step. I spend more than 30 min to figure out why my lock was not working.

4. AGAIN, test everything before installing the spring and the rod. The lock should move left and right 90 degrees !! If it doesn't ,you have the wrong middle plate installed.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
kraftwerkturbo

My Ride: turbo cars
There is only one 'side specific' part in the kits.
Trying to post photo showing the left (driver in US) and right (passenger in US) shapes of the parts of the kits.

Has anybody used the kits from ebay regulatorfix? Do they work?

Right:

Left:

More pics here:

http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/re...0Lock%20Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by StKittsBimmer View Post
Thanks for this great post Shane. I couldn't figure out why my key would snap back into the horizontal position instead of the correct vertical one. After reading your post, I realized that there is really only one way to configure the cylinder correctly. Once I realized that, I realized that I was using the wrong middle plate. The kit comes with a silver and a gold middle plate. I used the silver one (for hours) and when I switched to the gold one, it worked the first time snapping back into the vertical position. I couldn't tell because that was the broken part on my cylinder. Also, on a different site, someone mentioned they were successful using the silver one so I just took for granted that that was not the problem. Seems like the Silver plate is for right sided doors (Europe) and the Gold plate is for left sided doors (North America). Just wanted to save someone else the trouble I went through.

Thanks for a great and detailed post.
_nr_
kraftwerkturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #28
Ivan22

My Ride: 2001 E46 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7iwp View Post
For those that wish to swap their tumblers into a different lock I think I can help you.

Attached are a photo of the actual cylinder holding the tumblers. What is not pictured is the sleeve that goes around that cylinder. Once you remove the parts on the end of the lock (steps are shown at the beginning of this thread) you should be able to pull out the sleeve containing the lock cylinder [pictured]. Please note that my lock cylinder is missing a cap on the end since it was damaged by a failed thief.

At this point, you still cannot get to your tumblers until you remove the cylinder from the sleeve. I'm thinking you could build a simple tool to help (though I haven't tried this). Get two strips of metal and with a hacksaw cut a number of slits into the metal strip as pictured, such that it looks like a comb. Do this to both strips of metal. I'm guessing you could then push it against the sleeve such that it will push the tumblers down. As long as you do this on both sides of the sleeve I think you could then push the lock cylinder out even though you don't have a key for that lock. Of course if you have a key for the lock you wouldn't have had to do all this, the key would simply pull the cylinder out for you. PM me if you have more questions and I'll try to help you out more.

In the picture I drew the brown parts are the tumblers that need to be pushed down inside the sleeve.
I successfully replaced my lock actuator, but i coukd not line up the lock with the actuator. I removed the lock cylinder, and one thing led to another, i disassembled the lock, and the tumblers are stuck and i can not insert the key back in. The lock is in pieces. Anyone have any advice on where to look for more info on getting the tumblers out?
Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Bimmer App
Ivan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #29
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Does anyone have a photo of the retaining pin that holds in the retailing clip? I found my retaining clip inside my door, so I assume the pin is gone and I'll need a new one.

Can the pin be ordered separately? or can I fashion one out of something?
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
Ivan22

Clip pics

I contacted info@regulatorfix.com they were really helpful. Do not forget that there is a retaining bar, see the small piece between the spring and the clip, which is vital in keeping the clip in place.
Here are the images:

Last edited by Ivan22; 05-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #31
Ivan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Does anyone have a photo of the retaining pin that holds in the retailing clip? I found my retaining clip inside my door, so I assume the pin is gone and I'll need a new one.

Can the pin be ordered separately? or can I fashion one out of something?
As for "fashioning it out", any locksmith shop or a gun store for that matter should help you get an expanding pin to hold the clip in place.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #32
Weg3

My Ride: 2001 330i
I have the same problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMANALOPR View Post
Hey I followed this instruccions and when I turned the key and had to break everything cause it stayed stucked horizontely...any advise? I just received my second repair kit and dont want to mess it up! thanx in advance.
I have the same problem and have not found a solution yet...has anyone solved this one???? Thanks!
Weg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #33
farukh

My Ride: BMW 325i 2002
I was just doing this DIY and messed up... I lost couple of really tiny springs that keep the tension... Anybody has any idea where I can buy those springs?
farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #34
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
I have the same problem, I think Im going to buy the repair kit and do it my self.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #35
kraftwerkturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan22 View Post
As for "fashioning it out", any locksmith shop or a gun store for that matter should help you get an expanding pin to hold the clip in place.
Are you referring to the "C" shaped retaining ring?
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...pse93e9a00.jpg

I stock the E46 lock kit, and hate to 'break' a kit, but if needed, can help out a fellow forum member.

PM, or contact through website:
www.regulatorfix.com
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #36
kraftwerkturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by farukh View Post
I was just doing this DIY and messed up... I lost couple of really tiny springs that keep the tension... Anybody has any idea where I can buy those springs?
What 'tiny springs' are your referring to?
I have the springs that come with my 'lock repair kit', in case you need those.

Contact also through website:

www.regulatorfix.com
Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #37
LockRepairKit.com

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330xi
The ultimate lock repair guide can be found at LockRepairKit.com. A 3 part Video can be found on the site. Part 1 - Removing the lock from your car, Part 2 - Properly disassembling the lock, Part 3 - Rebuilding the lock. I hope it helps everyone.
LockRepairKit.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #38
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Shameless plug much?
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #39
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
I hope he's a paying member, but, it doesn't look like it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote