E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
heath\

My Ride: BMW
Angry I have e39 2000 540i HELP!!! :(

My brother was driving to school, and the car suddentley turned off on him..no noise or anything different.. He went to turn it back on and the temperature gauge SHOT up!!! But the car just left the house, it isnt hot..and not at 9 pm it's still at hot but the car never got hot!!!!! Help!!!!
heath\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
belt broke=alternator and water pump stops working=dying and overheating car

btw wrong forum.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
heath\

My Ride: BMW
sorry but my car didnt overheat thats the thing!! when the tow truck came i was 1.3 miles from my house! it wasnt hot! it is now almost 10pm and when i turn the key in the car it still says hot but the car has BEEN cold!! and yes i know i am in the e46 posts but im desperate !!!! HELP!!!
heath\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Why did the car shut off? Did a belt actually break?
It sounds to me that you have some electrical issues. Check you battery to see if its good. Disconnect it for an hour.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
On a M3, the ECU uses the water temp sensor to determine how warm/hot the engine is; it does not use a separate sensor that is screwed into the aluminum head, like that in the older Bosch FI systems.

I would guess that the BMW ECU would be "intelligent enough" to protect the expensive engine by shutting the car down if it detected a very high water temp from its sensor. If the E39 FI system is anything like the E46 M3 Siemens FI system, try buying a new water temp sensor and replace the old one and then see what happens. If replacing a water temp sensor doesn't appeal to you, take it to a shop that has a OBD II scan tool that can specifically read all the 540's sensors, and any stored trouble codes. Not all scan tools are created equal; most descent one's obtain generic info from the OBD II system, but you want the one that goes beyond generic info; you want a scan tool that can read and test all of the 540's electronics in the engine bay. That is the difference between a $250 scan tool and a $3,000 dollar scan tool. Good luck fellah.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
On a M3, the ECU uses the water temp sensor to determine how warm/hot the engine is; it does not use a separate sensor that is screwed into the aluminum head, like that in the older Bosch FI systems.

I would guess that the BMW ECU would be "intelligent enough" to protect the expensive engine by shutting the car down if it detected a very high water temp from its sensor. If the E39 FI system is anything like the E46 M3 Siemens FI system, try buying a new water temp sensor and replace the old one and then see what happens. If replacing a water temp sensor doesn't appeal to you, take it to a shop that has a OBD II scan tool that can specifically read all the 540's sensors, and any stored trouble codes. Not all scan tools are created equal; most descent one's obtain generic info from the OBD II system, but you want the one that goes beyond generic info; you want a scan tool that can read and test all of the 540's electronics in the engine bay. That is the difference between a $250 scan tool and a $3,000 dollar scan tool. Good luck fellah.
^^^^ Sounds like sound advise.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Check out the E39 forum on Bimmerfest.com for help from other E39 owners -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2000, 540, 540i, bmw, e39