E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
peterock29

My Ride: 2002 bmw 325ci
check engine light comes on and off as well as radiator light.help!

ok a while back i wrote a post about my check engine light coming on on my 2002 325ci .i ran the code and it was my coolant level, thermostat or a sensor.i filled my coolant and the light went off.every once in a while it will come back on and go off maybe take 2 weeks to go off again but then will stay on for a day and then shut off.recently my yellow radiator dummy light pops on and pops off.now i add coolant to where the floating pin should be at the filler neck.then the light will come on again maybe a day or two later and the floating pin in the filler neck will be at the bottom.where is my coolant going?i dont see any leaks.im a little confused was thinking about doing a complete coolant flush and having them put in the bmw coolant just to be on the safe side.any advice or help would be greatly appreciated guys thanx
peterock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
You need to find the leak. Pressure testing the system is helpful.

Or, replace everything. A low coolant level will only trigger the level light, not a CEL...my guess is that your thermostat is faulty.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Likely your problem is the temp sensor O-ring in the lower radiator hose. Very common problem, even if it is not leak, it needs to be replaced. No tools needed, very little coolant lost as system vacuum keeps coolant from leaking.

Technically the O-ring is not a serviceable part.

See my signature for the O-ring part number.

In a pinch, you can pull sensor, remove O-ring, 4-5 wraps of teflon tape in O-ring groove, reinstall.

If the switch is wet at all or if there is any wetness on the lower engine cover it is leaking.

Other than that, expansion tank is a likely suspect.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
peterock29

how serious is this problem jfoj? if it was the o ring or the expansion tank
Old 11-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
jfoj

O-ring is like $5 @ the dealer as all $1 O-rings from the dealer are $5! About a 10 minute job if that when engine is cold.

Expansion tank is around $75 as I recall OE from a sponsor? It can be a PITA to do. Expansion tank is more serious as the mold joint cracks and can grow.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 11-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
peterock29

thanx for your input i appreciate it very much.im not too handy as a diy'er maybe if there was a diagram on how to do it i can definitely try
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You can clean up the residue you see, fill up to proper level, remove underskirt, and find out where your leak is. Jfoj might be right that it's the 0-ring...which, if leaking, is worth the 'expensive' IAT o-ring...but it could be leaking elsewhere. Clean things up, run car, and find source of leak.

Or, as you said, just replace everything. If you don't want to replace everything, you need to diagnose what's leaking...simple as that.

Check the entire system...I like using my 100 lumen flashlight for looking at stuff...you won't believe what a difference having proper light makes to clear diagnosis.

GL

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Take it to a shop. You will waste time and money guessing, and run the risk of failure in the meantime.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
CrazyOneToo

My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Likely your problem is the temp sensor O-ring in the lower radiator hose. Very common problem, even if it is not leak, it needs to be replaced. No tools needed, very little coolant lost as system vacuum keeps coolant from leaking.

Technically the O-ring is not a serviceable part.

See my signature for the O-ring part number.

In a pinch, you can pull sensor, remove O-ring, 4-5 wraps of teflon tape in O-ring groove, reinstall.

If the switch is wet at all or if there is any wetness on the lower engine cover it is leaking.

Other than that, expansion tank is a likely suspect.
Great thread guys....I know my o-ring is leaking, I can see fluid around it.
I have a new o-ring already but when the sensor is removed does fluid pour out?
Dont want to drain my rad just yet. I'm pretty sure my expansion tank is also leaking to up by
the top of the rad. Light is coming on and can see fluid around exp tank connections area.

1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
manutdferg

My Ride: BMW 318i e46 2003
@Peterock29 , i seem to have the same problem as well . No trace of a leak , no heating up and no engine oil & coolant mix-up but am adding a lot of coolant like every 2 days and i feel that the car has lost power especially when i accelerate . Any progress on your part ?.
manutdferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
jfoj

Crazy,

Once car is cold overnight, pull sensor with cap still on expansion tank, vacuum in system will only allow about 1/2 cup of coolant to leak out.

Install replacement O ring you are golden.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
CrazyOneToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Crazy,

Once car is cold overnight, pull sensor with cap still on expansion tank, vacuum in system will only allow about 1/2 cup of coolant to leak out.

Install replacement O ring you are golden.
Great. I will try that this weekend for sure.
Thanks jfoj

AutohausAZ.com/

Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
manutdferg

My Ride: BMW 318i e46 2003
Crazy One , what's the progress with your car ?. Mine the mechanic had to bleed the coolant system again as he suspected that at one point it might have been opened whilst hot thereby leading to air being clogged in . since then the level hasnt dropped but am not too comfortable with the performance & also the sound of the engine when on idle , there is a funny sound with some bit of shaking as well .
manutdferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #14
CrazyOneToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdferg View Post
Crazy One , what's the progress with your car ?. Mine the mechanic had to bleed the coolant system again as he suspected that at one point it might have been opened whilst hot thereby leading to air being clogged in . since then the level hasnt dropped but am not too comfortable with the performance & also the sound of the engine when on idle , there is a funny sound with some bit of shaking as well .
I changed it out and no more leak from the temp sensor. It was an easy fix for a cheap price.
Unfortunately I also saw coolant on the radiator near the coolant fill spout.
I found what looks like a crack in the side plastic piece on the radiator tank.
I ordered a new expansion tank before noticing the crack so when I change the radiator I will also install the new expansion tank.
Might as well do it all at the same time.

Yeah I read here that there is a specific procedure to bleeding the air out properly.
I have not noticed a change in the engine but it may be that I just haven't noticed any.

AutohausAZ.com/