E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Is distilled water safe to drink?

I started a thread in the Genreal E46 forum today explaining how salts in tap water will eventually kill your engine if you put it in your cooling system. I made the mistake of warning people not to drink distilled water, as it will strip needed minerals from your body. The thread quickly degenerated into a debate about whether or not it's safe to drink distilled water.

In an attempt to move this debate to its proper place, here's my position:

Since distilled water has an affinity for minerals, it will quickly dissolve them into salts until the water becomes saturated. When you drink distilled water, it will dissolve the minerals in your body, which will make you sick eventually.

People quickly pointed out situations where distilled water is consumed with no ill effects. My answer to this is that, if the water is consumed with food, then the water will dissolve the minerals in the food before dissolving those of the body. If you use distilled water to make coffee or tea, then it dissolves more of the coffee or tea than tap water would, and it is safe to drink.

I drink about about 1/2 gallon of water per day between meals. My contention is that if that 1/2 of water was distilled, it would make me sick.

Anyone disagree?

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Disagree.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/waterc...lled-Water.htm

What Is Distilled Water?
Distilled water is any water that has been purified using distillation. There are multiple types of distillation, but all of them depend on separating components of a mixture based on their different boiling points. In a nutshell, water is heated to its boiling point. Chemicals that boil off at a lower temperature are collected and discarded; substances that remain in a container after the water evaporates also are discarded. The water that is collected thus has a higher purity than the initial liquid.

Can You Drink Distilled Water?
Usually, the answer is yes. If drinking water is purified using distillation, the resulting water is cleaner and more pure than before. The water is safe to drink. The disadvantage to drinking this water is that most of the natural minerals in the water are gone. If these minerals are desirable (e.g., calcium, magnesium, iron), the distilled water might be considered inferior to mineral water or spring water.

Sounds like tap water is "better" for you because it has extra minerals. Why would you think boiling water to distill it creates water that will rob you of minerals?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
I like the taste of distilled water, although I rarely drink it

There are drinking water products on the market, Where the selling point is that it is distilled.

-j

Last edited by Bimmer4Lyfe; 11-29-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
mkodama

Distilled water is perfectly fine, and is healthy for you. I like the taste better, but rarely drink it just because tap water is free.

Mineral water is slightly healthier because of the calcium, which most people need. Tap water is debatable since the mineral content varies wildly, as well as the added chlorine, fluorine, etc... to keep bacteria from going in it.

Last edited by mkodama; 11-29-2012 at 08:32 PM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Because the water that is pure has no minerals and will aggressively dissolve any it contacts. Nature abhors a vacuum, so to speak. If you put pure water in your system, it will dissolve whatever it contacts, with preferences for the easiest to chemically dissolve. These are typically magnesium and calcium and sodium.
The distilled water "dissolving anything it contacts" doesn't really matter in this case, since it gets absorbed through your small intestine, regardless of whether it's mineral or distilled water.

The only time minerals leave your body is if your intestines don't absorb them or your kidneys filter them out, and why distilled water doesn't remove any different amount of minerals than mineral water.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote