E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Caliper Disassembly?

Anyone have any pics of the calipers dissembled for rebuild???
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It's just an 0-ring and seal inside.

Some say that if the piston is shot, don't bother trying to sand it clean...others say that's fine(ish).

You need to blow the piston out somehow...with compressed air, or before you remove it from car...remove pads, put some wood in caliper and press the pedal.

Remanned caliper is not expensive, and if piston is rusted, might be the way to go (pistons are expensive(ish))

No pics from me...sorry.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Nerdy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
It's just an 0-ring and seal inside.

Some say that if the piston is shot, don't bother trying to sand it clean...others say that's fine(ish).

You need to blow the piston out somehow...with compressed air, or before you remove it from car...remove pads, put some wood in caliper and press the pedal.

Remanned caliper is not expensive, and if piston is rusted, might be the way to go (pistons are expensive(ish))

No pics from me...sorry.
Dmax,
Thanks for your input. My calipers are fine. I was going to disassemble them sometime soon to powder coat them. Maybe ill just pick up a cheap set to coat instead of trying to bang it out in an afternoon.

Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
definitely just buy remans. so cheap and fully rebuilt and ready to paint (if desired)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Yeah I'd recommend buying reman calipers if your mileage is near or above 100k miles. At that point the seals in them will probably need replaces soonish and they will be much easier to prep than old used one that are on your car.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ilt+suspension
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Nerdy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
definitely just buy remans. so cheap and fully rebuilt and ready to paint (if desired)
Mango, in order to powder coat the calipers i need to pull the seals to do it correctly. So they will need to be disassembled anyway.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Nerdy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy46 View Post
Mango, in order to powder coat the calipers i need to pull the seals to do it correctly. So they will need to be disassembled anyway.
Just use high temperature grill paint. It will look fine and that way all you have to do is masking tape some parts.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Anyone have any pics of the calipers dissembled for rebuild???
I have no pics but I have broken down and repaired calipers in the past without much issue. The rubber boot around the piston tends to fracture, water gets in and can cause rust to form on the exposed piston. If you look at the exploded view for my car the expensive component is the housing. Item 10, REPAIR SET BRAKE CALIPER kit, appears to contain piston, seal and rubber boot for $25, although I would clarify the presence of the piston. The fact that the kit exists is a reasonable indicator that repair is an option to resolving issues. In my case, some years ago, I purchased the seal and the rubber boot. The existing piston was still servicable once the rust on the exposed surface was removed. There was no scoring or pitting on the significant faces. You need to be scrupulously clean when reassembling of course. So I would give the repair a go. Its not that difficult.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...57&hg=34&fg=05
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
The labor-to-dollar ratio of remans is ridic.

If you do it yourself, it takes a pretty good amount of time and work, and you may even need additional parts.

Remans cost $50, sometimes have new pistons (if needed), and they clean them all up for you. Totally worth the extra $20-30, IMO.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
.... Item 10, REPAIR SET BRAKE CALIPER kit, appears to contain piston, seal and rubber boot for $25, although I would clarify the presence of the piston.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...57&hg=34&fg=05
No piston, according to a picture in BavAuto's Web site. It's a seal and a boot.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
No piston, according to a picture in BavAuto's Web site. It's a seal and a boot.
Yeah, that repair kit is just this:

If your piston is bad, you just have to buy remanufactured calipers. That's the most expensive part anyway. Only a few surfaces have to be machined on calipers and the piston/sleeve is by far the largest.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Well 1, I don't recommend painting them. It looks cheap. However, if that's what you want, then I'd still rather pull apart a reman caliper than an old 100k crusty one. your choice!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
I had my doubts because that's what I bought. The seal and the boot. It was on an E36 316i about 15 years ago.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
Nerdy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Just use high temperature grill paint. It will look fine and that way all you have to do is masking tape some parts.
Powder coating is the correct way to achieve a nice finish. I prefer to powdercoat what I can.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
WDE46

Quote:
Well 1, I don't recommend painting them. It looks cheap. However, if that's what you want, then I'd still rather pull apart a reman caliper than an old 100k crusty one. your choice!
It looks less cheap than rusty/dirty calipers. Black painted calipers won't show the dirt either.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
The OEM rebuilt kit is the cover boot and the o-ring seal. The boot is really thin and can easily get damaged if not inserted properly. Additional rebuilt items for the calipers are the guide pins along with their plastic covers and cap.

The only difficult thing in re-building a caliper is to properly seat the cover boot. Best way is to utilize a tube at the exact diameter with not sharp ends and gently tap it in place.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
It looks less cheap than rusty/dirty calipers. Black painted calipers won't show the dirt either.
no no no. i'm talking about remans.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
WDE46

Quote:
no no no. i'm talking about remans.

Oh.

I was thinking about cleaning the caliper carrier up real nice and just painting the piston side for a two tone brake look. Think it'll be kinda cool?