E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
sdbyrd

My Ride: 2001 325i
Dynavin Clone Hot Audio - Will LOC Solve My Issue?

I know the original factory head unit is somewhere around 7-10w/channel. The Dynavin Clone (D5113) is 45w/channel. The volume is a bit loud (been discussed numerous times before) but I wonder if the factory speakers will blow having that much power over a period of time? The highs sound really high and there's just something not quite right about the sound quality. It's on the fringe of distortion at times and wondered if one of two things will solve my issue.

1) Get a line output converter. If this is behind the head unit before it gets to my speakers, I can use an adjustable one. The "special port" connection on the Dynavin clone makes this complicated, unless there's an easier way to do it??? As you know, there's pretty much NO room for anything else behind/around that type of head unit.

2) New speakers that can handle a higher wattage rating. I don't want to go this route unless I have to.

I'm also not sure if my 2001 325i has an additional amp in the car, or if the speakers are just powered by the factory head unit. Otherwise, I'll be stuck with hot audio until I get a good permanent fix. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
sdbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbyrd View Post
I know the original factory head unit is somewhere around 7-10w/channel. The Dynavin Clone (D5113) is 45w/channel. The volume is a bit loud (been discussed numerous times before) but I wonder if the factory speakers will blow having that much power over a period of time? The highs sound really high and there's just something not quite right about the sound quality. It's on the fringe of distortion at times and wondered if one of two things will solve my issue.

1) Get a line output converter. If this is behind the head unit before it gets to my speakers, I can use an adjustable one. The "special port" connection on the Dynavin clone makes this complicated, unless there's an easier way to do it??? As you know, there's pretty much NO room for anything else behind/around that type of head unit.

2) New speakers that can handle a higher wattage rating. I don't want to go this route unless I have to.

I'm also not sure if my 2001 325i has an additional amp in the car, or if the speakers are just powered by the factory head unit. Otherwise, I'll be stuck with hot audio until I get a good permanent fix. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Your car does have an external factory amp. It's mounted behind the carpet on the left hand side of the trunk. You are feeding the full 45W signal of the head unit into the factory amp, which I'm 95% sure is the cause of the loud volume and distortion you are experiencing. You'll need a line out converter for this to work properly. The Dynavin has one of these built in and there is a setting you can change. It's not very adjustable but it helps. No idea if that is the case with the clones. I would just get an external one. They are not expensive.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
sdbyrd

My Ride: 2001 325i
So would the line output converter go in the trunk next to the factory amp?

Also, would it be better to just bypass the factory amp so the head unit is driving everything? I'm not sure what all is involved with that. Is it just a matter of splicing the speaker wires together?
sdbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
RJDaly28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbyrd View Post
So would the line output converter go in the trunk next to the factory amp?

Also, would it be better to just bypass the factory amp so the head unit is driving everything? I'm not sure what all is involved with that. Is it just a matter of splicing the speaker wires together?
You may want to check into the settings menu on your head unit and see if there is a built in setting. There is on the Dynavin units anyway, but it's in a hidden menu. On a Dynavin, you go to AUX, hit 9 on the remote and the menu pops up, and there are a couple of settings under AMP. Just tossing that out there, again not sure if the clones are the same.

The converter could go in the dash or in the trunk, as long as it's between the head unit and the amp.

It would also be fairly simple to just bypass the amp. You could just splice the wires for each channel together and skip the amp. That way you're just using the power from the head unit.

Last edited by RJDaly28; 12-03-2012 at 09:44 PM.
RJDaly28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
the clones are not "clones".....they are completely different, they just have a similar front panel.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-03-2012 at 10:10 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
RJDaly28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
the clones are not "clones".....they are completely different, they just have a similar front panel.
Certainly true, but it would be worth checking to see if there is a similar built-in setting on his unit.