E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #81
m3dragon

My Ride: CSL M3 / 1M
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
No
So why are most people dropping it as well as the instruction say to (besides the oblivious of fire / possible danger). I would assume if you took the necessary safety steps it could stay in. But we all know what assuming can lead to (BOOM)

NorCal drive organizer guy
Drive database and photo locations
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
E46 M3 GTR Street Car - Build Journal
m3dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #82
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I don't have first hand experience, but I've seen threads where this was done without dropping the tank. I remember specifically because a well known member commented "oh wow, you did it without removing the tank".
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #83
m3dragon

Any chance you can find or remember where you saw that? I would like to confirm it. I went to a shop yesterday and they believe they can do it without dropping the tank but they did not put the car on the rack to confirm. about 750 to do the job is the quote.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #84
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I think the tank is really only dropped to deal with the e-brake cable, but I think you can remove the e-brake cable some other way. Wish I had more info, sorry!

Edit: I COULD be wrong. It's happened once or twice before

Last edited by aggieE46; 10-24-2012 at 11:10 AM.
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #85
Mesa3077Boogie

My Ride: 325i Sport Package 0
I have all the subframe bushings, diff mounts, stabilizer bushings, trailing arm bushing and trailing arm ball joints. Ready to tackle this project this long thanksgiving day weekend. Isnt it possible to disconnect the brake calipers and hang them from the shocks instead of disconnecting their hoses so I dont have to bleed?

Also why do I need to remove the Ebrake line at all?

thanks bros

"Brakes Stop The Wheels, Tires Stop The Car"
Mesa3077Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #86
m3dragon

It is easier to remove the E brake line than take it off the brakes.

Yes you have to drop the fuel tank for safety reasons as welding is done right next to it.

I got this done a few weeks ago. Anything over $800 is not a reasonable offer to do the work as a FYI.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #87
Mesa3077Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
It is easier to remove the E brake line than take it off the brakes.

Yes you have to drop the fuel tank for safety reasons as welding is done right next to it.

I got this done a few weeks ago. Anything over $800 is not a reasonable offer to do the work as a FYI.
I am NOT welding in reinforcements. So can I just remove the brake calipers instead of disconnecting the brake hoses and having to re bleed?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #88
m3dragon

Check M3 forums. I know someone did the none weld install and made a DYI. No clue but my guess is you still need to fully drop everything and re bleed. That is what I remember from their DYI.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #89
Mesa3077Boogie

Ok Guys SOS. I got the Sub frame out (without disconnecting the brake lines btw). All the subframe bushings and transmission mounts are out but I cannot get the new subframe bushings in!!

I rented a balljoint press from autozone which normally works when I did bushings in the past but the kit deosnt have a press or cup that exactly fits our subframe bushings. I thought ahead of time that I would be able to use this quarter inch thick flat bar and a threaded rod to pull the bushing in but that is failing. I completely man handled the two smaller diff mounts ripping one of them while putting it in. The tear is faint but now that the weak spot for it to fail in the future.. The large main diff mount went in fine.

The first subframe bushing that I put in is also a complete train wreck. The casing is bent outward near the top and rubber is shriveled up. Luckily the inner bushing is still in tact and the bushing is 3/4ths in. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to finish putting this one in and get the other three in subframe bushings in? I have done plenty of bushing and ball joints in the past and have never had this problem. I am 15 hours in to this project and have only tomorrow to finish..

Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #90
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
Run down to Ace hardware, grab a long grade a bolt, and a few nuts and washers. Find or make a plate that will go over the subframe hole. And get a big washer or plate the size of the bushing and use the bolt and nut to push the bushing in.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #91
Mesa3077Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choleaoum View Post
Run down to Ace hardware, grab a long grade a bolt, and a few nuts and washers. Find or make a plate that will go over the subframe hole. And get a big washer or plate the size of the bushing and use the bolt and nut to push the bushing in.

The top of the subframe bushing is notched. When you press in a bushing you have to press its metal casing , not its rubber. If I was to merely press the top of the bushing with some sort of flat plate or washer I would be pressing the rubber "up notches" that stick up on either side of the bushing and the bushing's center bolt hole that molded into the rubber both at the same time as they are 2 separate but level pieces. When I press dow as I wrench down the threaded rod, both the bushing "up notches" and the bushing's bolt hole will press about 10-15 MM stretching the bushing beyond its limit in towards the opposite side / into the subframe. I already tried that and ended up really stretching the bushing out of wack. Yes it bounced back that time, but I mangled the rubber a bit and I am afraid to rip it. The notches on the top of the bushing are there for a BMW specific press tool.

Also with doing your method, you have to think that when the bushing is fully pressed in, it actually sticks out the other side about 10mm. So blocking off the side with a flat plate with a threaded rod through it would only get you so far anyways..

Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #92
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
You could just get a really big socket from sears to put on it with a 1/2in drive then get some 1/2-13 all thread then put a bolt on each end. That way it presses against the casing and not the rubber.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #93
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
I used the same method everyone else is describing to install the bushings, but instead of using flat steel plates I used a pipe end cap from home depot, similar to the image below, and drilled a hole in the top center for a threaded steel rod to go through. I don't remember the exact size, but it was pretty much a perfect fit.

Last edited by JSanders; 11-30-2012 at 04:12 PM.
JSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #94
ZHud3

My Ride: black 323Ci
Just ordered the bushings and plates from TMS and I'm going to tackle this next week. Thanks for the write up it'll be a lifesaver im sure

2000 323Ci
1992 325is Sold ):
1984 325e
ZHud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #95
xDarkchildx

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3 Black
Fantastic DIY!

What would a job like this typically cost for an e46 m3? In Socal...

I have all the parts but have been lagging getting this done.

Last edited by xDarkchildx; 03-12-2013 at 12:43 AM.
xDarkchildx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #96
thelightning87

My Ride: BMW 323i E46
Thank you so much for this write up. We just completed this job successfully. Welded the body and also replaced 2 sub-frame and 1 differential mount while we where at it.
Note; there are 4 extra bolts holding the aluminum bracket to the body you did not describe. Near the differential.

Again, thanks. This helped us (non-car machanics) get this entire job done in about 2.5 days (20-25hours)

thelightning87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #97
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
Might tackle this job "just because" i need a peace of mind after hearing all the horror stories.

I have a question for you guys. Are you guys drilling these cracks??? As in stop drilling??
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #98
dastuz

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
I just finished this DIY. Definitely not for the uninitiated. Wanted to say thank you for the DIY. It was very helpful.
dastuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #99
eddle_wlnslow

My Ride: E46 M3
thanks for the writeup OP. How tough welding cracks for someone with no experience with a welder? Im debating whether to do it myself or just pay a local shop to do it.
eddle_wlnslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #100
Graywolf

My Ride: 2004 M3
eddle, as a certified bird sh-t welder myself I'd advise paying a good local shop. Or don't bother at all. A good structural weld takes knowledge and practice. Lots of practice.
Graywolf is offline   Reply With Quote