E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #41
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Someone on here had much worse. They manually removed it all, I think a shop vac with a pre-filter bucket was used. Search around, I remember the thread because the results were impressive.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #42
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Auto rx, look into it
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???

Last edited by jhaurimn; 11-30-2012 at 11:55 AM.
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #43
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
You sure you don't have a bad head gasket and coolant mixed in with the oil?
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #44
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
update:

Yesterday made multiple runs and logged some loose temps over the last two days.

Interstate driving after 20 minutes (sat for 4 hours)
131-149F outside temp 55F
Hit Traffic and stop and go for 10 minutes
185F consistent outside 55F
Sat overnight ~35F
On the way to work this morning -no traffic, few lights
104-122F outside temp 38F average 113F while car should be warm @74MPH
On the way to Lunch today (Sat 6 hours)
158-185F outside temp 65F

Radiator Fluid is at minimum level and had it flushed by Stealership on 8/3/12 ~ 4k miles since then.

Theory
I think the flush on the system may have induced a crack in the cooling system. And now there is air in the system not allowing the water to properly flow through the heater core causing these low temps. This does not explain the rough idle unless the crack has been there before and oil has already started to sludge. The two problems could be non related at all, and rough idle be numerous different things.

Plan of attack
Stop by BMW today and pick up thermostat and bmw antifreeze (and distilled water)
Bimmersoftware has been ordered and wire should be in mail soon for true data logging.

CCV needs to be replaced regardless
Cooling System needs to be replaced.
Fuel Pump needs to be replaced.
I am going to do one by one and see if I can normalize my operating temp and idle. They all need to be done regardless, so time to start some winter wrenching. I often work 60-70 hour weeks so Sunday is really the only day I can tackle larger projects. Anyone have any advice or change of plan ideas?
|2eckLesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #45
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
You sure you don't have a bad head gasket and coolant mixed in with the oil?
You would see milky white crap mixed in with the oil if that was the case.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #46
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Thermostat needs to be replaced, dude. The car should run around 200F no matter what driving coditions or ambient temp.

A couple of oil changes with a high ester oil and a properly working thermostat would help clear out that sludge.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #47
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
I hope that is the case, but this is the perfect time to take a few free weekends and replace some potential threats to the e46 and learn about how they are put together. This is my first BMW of 13 vehicles and the first one that intimidates me about it's engineering. Only way to tackle that is head first. Stopped by BMW to pick up some antifreeze and out of curiosity asked how much to replace just the thermostat....538.20
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #48
ryansser

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eckLesS View Post
curiosity asked how much to replace just the thermostat....538.20
Holy crap. When mine went bad, I went to a local indy, and they quoted me three hundred and I thought that was rediculous! I did it myself for the cost of a t-stat(55) and coolant(15)!!
ryansser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #49
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
I hope that is the case, but this is the perfect time to take a few free weekends and replace some potential threats to the e46 and learn about how they are put together. This is my first BMW of 13 vehicles and the first one that intimidates me about it's engineering. Only way to tackle that is head first. Stopped by BMW to pick up some antifreeze and out of curiosity asked how much to replace just the thermostat....538.20
Don't fear the car, just respect it. It's really no more complicated than any other modern car. They're actually not too hard to work on.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
That's because most dealerships are full of crooks. The thermostat should really be no more than an hour's labor.

Heck, I had an Indy replace my entire cooling system for less