E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #41
DillonMpower

My Ride: bmw 330 ci
Well it seems like Audi are just to expensive compared to BMWs especially for they average joe shmo DIYer (me), although I have three friends who own Audis 1.8 b6, 3.0 b8, s4 b5. The 1.8 is relatively reliable (but my buddy takes very good care of it) the 3.0 is in and out of the stealer ship like no other (my buddy is not competent to do his own work) and the s4 is a **** show out of commission like crazy (this friend is the smartest out of the bunch Audi wise and DIYer) yet he still cant get that car under control. Now my BMW isn't that far behind theirs maintenance wise but the parts are significantly cheaper and the work is much easier which is nice for a novice DIYer like me plus my car is significantly better looking and in real day today life faster as well. For my money which is not much i am going BMW all day.

Now my Question is if you are thinking audi why no just an XI ? all the benefits of AWD in a BMW?
DillonMpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #42
dualbob103

My Ride: Mums
I would easily buy a R8 if I had the option.
It's one of the sleekest cars out for the price.
dualbob103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #43
badfast

My Ride: A Car
I own an Audi aswell. An A4 and I like it and would own one again. The only issue that it has ever had was a vaccum (turbo) hose went bad.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #44
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
I've owned a few Quattros and currently own a '83 ABT ur quattro with low miles, and yes, Audi cars need lots of attention (meaning money), but come to think of it, no more than my M3 with a broken VANOS hub, worries about the rear sheet metal chassis at the subframe area, and bearing shells on the big end of the con rod, etc, etc, etc. All premium brand cars have their share of problems. I can attest that the most trouble free car I ever owned was a Acura TSX. I put 160,000+ miles on it in 4 yrs doing that hard commute between L.A. And Orange County, and seriously, all I ever had to do is just gas and oil in that sled. That car was such a dependable car; it got 30 mpg on the freeway, and that pure magical manual gear box was such joy to use as it was a model of real precision. That gate to gate shift quality on that TSX completely blows the M3 shifter out of the water, but then again, in all performance measures, the M3 of course wins as it is a benchmark.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #45
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
New Audi > New BMW

so yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #46
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonMpower View Post
Well it seems like Audi are just to expensive compared to BMWs especially for they average joe shmo DIYer (me),
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, tell me why I can't even change my serpentine belt without two special order BMW tools

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #47
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
No.

Audi sucks. The techs at the local dealership refer to the Audi emblem as "The Rings Of Death".

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #48
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
it was either an 01 S4 or 01 330ci when I went shopping for my car. Drove the BMW first, went to Audi dealer and drove S4 and the drivers feel (even with the lightened steering rack issue of the BMW) was better on the 330ci. went right back to the BMW dealer and bought my 330ci. I gave the Audi a chance but it had 2 big factors working against it...4 doors and AWD.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 11-30-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #49
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Friend owned 01 A4 and everything on it broke. Engine even sludged up and needed a rebuilt. And yes some items needed to be fixed few times. I've worked on it and it's a major PITA and always made me cringe.

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #50
DillonMpower

My Ride: bmw 330 ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, tell me why I can't even change my serpentine belt without two special order BMW tools
you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, tell me why I don't have to remove my bumper and radiator for every repair i do. BMW's are brilliantly designed the whole car clips together like a god damn Lego, while i admit some parts are over engineered if you have ever spend time in the engine bay of a few Audis you will start to ask your self why the **** did they do this, hell even putting on and off the wheels are more of a PITA then any other car
DillonMpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #51
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonMpower View Post
you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, tell me why I don't have to remove my bumper and radiator for every repair i do. BMW's are brilliantly designed the whole car clips together like a god damn Lego, while i admit some parts are over engineered if you have ever spend time in the engine bay of a few Audis you will start to ask your self why the **** did they do this, hell even putting on and off the wheels are more of a PITA then any other car
You're comparing apples to oranges and it's really, really stupid.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #52
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Nope!
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #53
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #54
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
I recently test drove an a4 wagon non quattro cvt as my winter car. It drove ok but had few that needed to be fixed. Well timing belt was due, lots of seal to be changed in that area... air bag light was on. I didnt buy it, bought mitsu suv intead. When i was getting into bmw i was looking at the 04 a4 sedans they look nice.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #55
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
I own a B5 S4 stage 3 with all the goodies, and it is indeed a nightmare. However I can't help but feel that most of that is because these cars are just plain old, and when you push that much power through that much complexity, there's bound to be a lot of failure points. On the same token, it's my DD, and aside from frequently blowing a boost hose, it hasn't ever really stranded me... Except for when the fuel pump unexpectedly went out the day I planned on changing it.

However I think you'd have to be insane to think these cars handle well, I've done the b5-b7 and they were all pathetic, and I would say the same for the B8, but every other car is just as bloated now. Even with that in mind, they make for absolutely fantastic high speed all weather cruisers, it's why I like mine as a daily.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #56
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Their cars look great. Sucks that they're junk.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #57
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Their cars look great. Sucks that they're junk.
you have two of the least desired convertibles on the planet, what are you talking about...

Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #58
MercForHire

My Ride: Estoril Blue 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
you have two of the least desired convertibles on the planet, what are you talking about...
no
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #59
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I'd consider an A5 because I love their interiors and the body style, but what draws me to BMW is the heavy steering feel. It's just unmatched by any competitor.

THIS

Especially after retrofitting the older heavier steering rack. It's funny when someone not used to my car gets in they always say something like "the power steering is broken" , hahaha

My dad just got an a4 b6, well maintained by audi dealer. I have nothing bad to say about the car. It's what he wanted , German AWD 6-speed 4-door nice interior. I hate that the gearbox feels so mushy and lightweight. Perhaps it's because I compare it against my tight UUC SSK. Hmm maybe for christmas I'll get him an SSK
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #60
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I used to have a passat and was looking at B5 A4s while trying for the 330xi. The interiors are identical to the same gen passat and the driving was the same.

To all that say they are a pain to work on are absolutely right. You wouldn't believe what it takes to even change the stupid engine air filter. Not to mention the fact that the turbo will sludge up if you look at it wrong. The BMW is far easier to maintain and work on than any VW product.

That said, this will be my last German car ever. I'm done with maintaining perfectly for fear of what happens if I don't and am sick of expensive parts. I'm going to get a Mustang in the next couple of years and switch to an Acura TL when the e46 finally dies. Until then I'll keep at it in making sure the e46 keeps on chugging.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote