E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #601
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
After my exterior is pretty I'll be doing something similar. This is insane and it looks like it was worth all of the effort. I just need to think of a color that I want to use for the two tone. Decisions decisions... Awesome thread man!

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #602
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
what kind of spray did u use for the headliners
where did u get the dye/brushes/spray cans for?

Dyeing tips:
Don't buy foam brushes, buy artist acrylic brushes: 3/4" - 1"
When dyeing, do NOT stop in the middle of a panel, make it to the closest seam and stop. If you get bubbles or heavy spots of dye, blow on them to even them out.
You might think that you will get brush marks, swirls, etc when the dye dries, but just be patient, they will even out. The WORST mistake I made while dyeing was trying and touching up half dried dye, it scuffed up and make a mark when dry. If you mess up, DONT touch it. Let it dry and wetsand out w/ 1500 grit, then apply another coat. It will even out
When dyeing, you will notice that the dye separates really quickly. No lie, you will get some dye on your brush and paint a bit, then go back to get more dye on the brush and the dye will have already separated. You need to keep stirring the dye before you go and paint with it.
Take the seats apart. I don't know how Alec did the dye job with his seat together. I did my drivers seat like that and I realized that the seams where the seat cushion met the back were going to be messed up. So I took them apart and they were horrible, the dye had made the leather stick to itself and I had to rip it apart, breaking the dye. I had to go back and wetsand and redo the portion of the drivers seat that was messed up. I did my passengers seat the proper way, taking it apart and dyeing the panels separately.

Painting tips:
Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint is a great product, no lie. But the spray can is a pos. It doesn't really have a good nozzle so if you are spraying downward, the spray paint coming out will splatter and make your piece look horrible. This is when I realized that if I wanted good work, I was going to have to use my hands. I just held my piece up and spun it around whichever way I needed to spray and painted while it was in my hand. I got spray paint on my hand and arm, no biggie though. Just a tip
Make sure you are painting in the right conditions, this is very important. It was damn cold outside so I set up a spray booth inside my house to paint, it worked out very well.

Procedures

Door panels:
Take apart door panels, don't be a bum and keep them together and mask off portions with newspaper. If you take them apart, you will get a better result in the end, I promise.
Leatherique leather inserts, let rejuvenator soak in for 24 hours. When applying the rejuvenator, use about 2-4 ounces per panel and massage it into the panel with your hands. Like really, think of it as you giving a piece of leather a massage, it's weird. Then do all the necessary pristine clean and dyeing procedures
Clean vinyl door panels - scrub with green works and sponge, then scrub with warm water and wipe dry. Let them sit for a while because the vinyl will still be damp feeling after you wipe it. Then spray with duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. Remember! light coats
Take apart arm rests - leatherique leather pads, prep and sand bottom portion for duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint.
Put door panels back together using screws and washers

Seats:
Scrub clean with wet rag
Apply leatherique rejuvenator and scrub into the leather, let sit for 24 hours minimum, I let all of my pieces soak for 48 hours.
Spray pristine clean onto leather using spray bottle and let sit for 20 mins, scrub with toothbrush and wipe off with terry towel. Wait 2 hours.
Put leatherique prepping agent into glass bowl and get 1000 grit sandpaper, dip sandpaper into bowl and start to wetsand leather seats. Wait 6 hours minimum
Ready for dye. For my black leatherette seats, I found that 5 coats was necessary to make it look absolutely perfect. 4 coats and you could still see some black through the dye. For the tan leather, 4 coats was plenty.
[insert dyeing procedure here]

Headliner, rear deck and pillars:
Clean with wet rag
Soak them with rit dye, no lie, soak them. Don't hesitate to use as much dye as the panel will take without dripping

Door seals:
Clean with wet rag
Apply rit dye using bowl and sponge brush, same as headliner pieces

Plastic pieces:
Spray down with green works and scrub as much dirt off as possible.
Wipe pieces with a wet rag and sand with 600 grit sandpaper.
Place in hot water bath to get rid of all the powder, let sit until completely dry
Lots and lots of light coats of spray paint, waiting about 10 minutes between coats.

Last edited by Rezist09; 04-06-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #603
Skazzy

My Ride: 111i
just saw the thread tags
Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #604
_k

My Ride: e46 coupe
amazing work!!!! went through the whole thread. great job. love cinnamon interiors!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #605
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
bump

op is a known india god
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #606
Anderspr0

My Ride: E46 320ia
Love it, perfect
Anderspr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #607
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
hopefully in a months time i'll create a thread half as epic as this one... good thread, good info

i didn't get a change to read through the entire thing, but Neil, do you have the screw lengths that you used when putting the leather inserts back in the panel? I just removed the leather from the panels, and i'm waiting for my leather dye to be delivered... i had everything, but my dye was the wrong color so I sent it back almost 2 weeks ago to get the correct color

Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #608
AndrewCross

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Neil1138's Interior Project, tis gonna be fun

Still one of the most inspirational and motivating threads on this site

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #609
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
I woke up today thinking "Give my mats a quick dye, to hide the driver's feet damage"

Well I've ended up removing the rear carpets, most of the dash parts and now I need to commit to removing it all! Seems I might need to cut to avoid the heater box? I'm trying not to cut anything. I'm already glad I did remove rear carpet so I can tidy up a drain hole "on the turn"

http://imgur.com/a/S56ew?gallery
David McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #610
Northwest

My Ride: 2001 330i
This thread right here... this is the reason I joined e46fanatics
Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 PM   #611
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
This thread right here... this is the reason I joined e46fanatics
You picked a damn good reason to join. Welcome aboard

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #612
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
Wow! What an awesome job. It took a lot of time to take the pics and write it up, thanks for the DIY.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #613
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Lol, this time stamp seems legit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402093582836.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	561002  
Old 06-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #614
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
After your post Cowspoo , I had to check the date on my computer, but all is right here

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinnamon, cinnamon interior, drama, dyeing, epic, is taking too long, leatherique, neil drinks yoohoo, pure sex, sexy seats, will never be like oem