E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Remans don't come with the carrier, do they? So that will still be rusty. I like the black caliper paint, sticks to old calipers pretty well and newer remans even better. Remans will probably get ugly faster because they've likely been sandblasted to remove grime.

Powder coating is a heat barrier, so I'd call that a bad idea. I also think it'll look like crap.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Remans don't come with the carrier, do they? So that will still be rusty. I like the black caliper paint, sticks to old calipers pretty well and newer remans even better. Remans will probably get ugly faster because they've likely been sandblasted to remove grime.

Powder coating is a heat barrier, so I'd call that a bad idea. I also think it'll look like crap.
You can just wire brush your caliper carrier or sand blast it. Sand blasting it will make it looke like new.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
The only difficult thing in re-building a caliper is to properly seat the cover boot. Best way is to utilize a tube at the exact diameter with not sharp ends and gently tap it in place.
I used some brake caliper grease, a piece of wood and a G clamp.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post

Really? Id be doing the brackets also... They dont require dissembling though. And remans will be easier to coat because i wont have to media blast them. I still will have to outgas the parts however.

Whats your problem with powdercoating... its way more durable then caliper paint as well.

Last edited by Nerdy46; 11-30-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
Nerdy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
I used some brake caliper grease, a piece of wood and a G clamp.

Ive done something like this on a different set of calipers with good results. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
Nerdy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Oh.

I was thinking about cleaning the caliper carrier up real nice and just painting the piston side for a two tone brake look. Think it'll be kinda cool?
I did something similar on the mustang.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I had some extra pink house paint left over and used that on my calipers. Some fanatic here from London mentioned that he'd used house paint on his paint, so I figured it'd be fine on calipers.

On a green car yet. That week, I can't tell you how much the ladies loved it. Pink calipers, green tires, green body (fern green metallic). My car was hideous...even worse than it is now. Still, they came.

Part of that is probably because of my looks and personality, but I think about 89% of the credit goes to my calipers.

I'm very serious. Pink. There's a Captain in the military here that does that too...and I think for the same reason.

Don't make a thread about it...don't ask...just do it. All four corners.

The guys at meets will hate it. Let them hate while the ladies hound you. Do not tell anyone. Don't speak of this again...let the thread die.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
JokerElite

My Ride: '95 M3, '04 M3
How do you attach the hose from the air compressor to the caliper to blow the piston out? My piston doesn't come out of the caliper using the method which requires you to pump the brakes.

1995 BMW M3 - Avus Blue | 2004 BMW M3 - Jet Black
JokerElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #29
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerElite View Post
How do you attach the hose from the air compressor to the caliper to blow the piston out? My piston doesn't come out of the caliper using the method which requires you to pump the brakes.
Pumping the brakes to remove the piston will have fluid all over the place. Take the cap off the reservoir, put some cling film over the opening and replace the cap. Remove the rubber boot from the piston. Then open the bleed screw on the caliper and you will be able to ease the piston out. Use two screw drivers oppositely oppose on the lip of the piston. Replace the seal inside the housing and slide the piston back into place. Replace or refit the boot. Close the bleed screw. Fit the pads. Remount the caliper. Remove the cling film from the reservoir and bleed as normal. Focus on being clean throughout.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #30
JokerElite

Quote:
Pumping the brakes to remove the piston will have fluid all over the place. Take the cap off the reservoir, put some cling film over the opening and replace the cap. Remove the rubber boot from the piston. Then open the bleed screw on the caliper and you will be able to ease the piston out. Use two screw drivers oppositely oppose on the lip of the piston. Replace the seal inside the housing and slide the piston back into place. Replace or refit the boot. Close the bleed screw. Fit the pads. Remount the caliper. Remove the cling film from the reservoir and bleed as normal. Focus on being clean throughout.
By cling film do you mean saran wrap? And excuse my "lack of knowing" but whats the point of opening the cap and putting the film over it and closing the cap? Does it get the pressure out or something?

My piston is being held by a little rust I believe. It isn't too bad but I'm not sure if this method will work. But I'd like to give it a try before I take off the caliper from my car and use the air compressor method.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #31
RayPooley

Quote:
By cling film do you mean saran wrap? And excuse my "lack of knowing" but whats the point of opening the cap and putting the film over it and closing the cap? Does it get the pressure out or something?

My piston is being held by a little rust I believe. It isn't too bad but I'm not sure if this method will work. But I'd like to give it a try before I take off the caliper from my car and use the air compressor method.
I'm a Brit so if saran wrap is like thin, clear plastic wrap that you wrap around sandwiches then yes. That's the stuff. When you open the bleed screw the fluid will come out of it because AIR enters into the reservoir. If you stop the air getting into the reservoir the fluid stays in the pipes. Thet's what the saran wrap does. Stops the air getting in the reservoir to replace the fluid. Its physics. Atmospheric pressure. Try it with a drinking straw. Suck up some drink and then keep your tongue over the end in you mouth. Remove the straw from the drink and the drink will stay in the straw until you take your tongue off the end in your mouth. Same principle. Its also why you need to open the bleed screw when you start to prise out the cylinder so that air can enter through the bleed screw as the piston moves. Otherwise that piston ain't going nowhere. Spray some WD40 penetrating oil on the piston head and let it soak. You will be able to ease it out. You should be able to clean the pistons up and reuse them so long as they are not pitted in the area that comes into contact with the seals. You will still need to bleed the pipes afterwards. Its just less messy and you will only need a couple of pedal strokes to get the air out.

Last edited by RayPooley; 12-17-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
JokerElite

Quote:
I'm a Brit so if saran wrap is like thin, clear plastic wrap that you wrap around sandwiches then yes. That's the stuff. When you open the bleed screw the fluid will come out of it because AIR enters into the reservoir. If you stop the air getting into the reservoir the fluid stays in the pipes. Thet's what the saran wrap does. Stops the air getting in the reservoir to replace the fluid. Its physics. Atmospheric pressure. Try it with a drinking straw. Suck up some drink and then keep your tongue over the end in you mouth. Remove the straw from the drink and the drink will stay in the straw until you take your tongue off the end in your mouth. Same principle. Its also why you need to open the bleed screw when you start to prise out the cylinder so that air can enter through the bleed screw as the piston moves. Otherwise that piston ain't going nowhere. Spray some WD40 penetrating oil on the piston head and let it soak. You will be able to ease it out. You should be able to clean the pistons up and reuse them so long as they are not pitted in the area that comes into contact with the seals. You will still need to bleed the pipes afterwards. Its just less messy and you will only need a couple of pedal strokes to get the air out.
Yeah, it's the same stuff. I understand the physics aspect of the whole thing but what's the point of putting the film over the reservoir? Doesn't the cap keep the air from entering? Still a little confused, I apologize.

I just want to make sure I do this right. So first I need to take the cap off the reservoir and put the saran wrap/cling film over the opening and screw the cap back on? Then remove the rubber boot. And unscrew the bleed screw and basically pry the piston out from both sides?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #33
RayPooley

Quote:
Yeah, it's the same stuff. I understand the physics aspect of the whole thing but what's the point of putting the film over the reservoir? Doesn't the cap keep the air from entering? Still a little confused, I apologize.

I just want to make sure I do this right. So first I need to take the cap off the reservoir and put the saran wrap/cling film over the opening and screw the cap back on? Then remove the rubber boot. And unscrew the bleed screw and basically pry the piston out from both sides?
The cap isn't competely airtight. By the time you had done the thing all the fluid will have leaked out. You dont have to take the bleed screw completely out. Just slacken if off so that air can get in as the piston moves out. There should be a lip around the exposed end of the piston that the rubber boot fits into. That's where you should stick the screw drivers. 180 degrees to each other. Once you get the piston moving you should be able to ease it out with your fingers or wrap a length of wire round the top and make like a bucket handle and use that to pull it out.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #34
JokerElite

Quote:
The cap isn't competely airtight. By the time you had done the thing all the fluid will have leaked out. You dont have to take the bleed screw completely out. Just slacken if off so that air can get in as the piston moves out. There should be a lip around the exposed end of the piston that the rubber boot fits into. That's where you should stick the screw drivers. 180 degrees to each other. Once you get the piston moving you should be able to ease it out with your fingers or wrap a length of wire round the top and make like a bucket handle and use that to pull it out.
Okay I'll try it in a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #35
WDE46

I can't figure out why the saran wrap is necessary either. If you want to let the piston displace then you just need to open the bleed screw to pull it out. That will let air in instead of pulling fluid from the reservoir. It will probably still be quite difficult. If you're going to rebuild you could use water pressure on the caliper piston. Hook up a fitting to the brake like port on the caliper and turn on the water. 60 psi can probably do it. Shop air will be definitely do it though.

Last edited by WDE46; 12-17-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #36
RayPooley

Quote:
Okay I'll try it in a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.
Done it a few times on different cars. Should be ok. When it comes to putting it back in you should be able to do it with your thumbs. Just keep the pressure even on both sides of the piston. Make sure it goes in straight. Don't force it because you don't want to damage the seal. A light smear of brake grease on the seal lip inside the housing will help. Really needs to be spotlessly clean.

Last edited by RayPooley; 12-17-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #37
JokerElite

No luck. It moved a little bit but it seems to be stuck. I keep trying my hardest to pry it out but it won't move and I end up hitting my knuckles against the caliper. I guess this way isn't an option. Gonna go look for an adapter so I can hook it up to the compressor, I doubt I'd find one anywhere.

Last edited by JokerElite; 12-17-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #38
RayPooley

Quote:
No luck. It moved a little bit but it seems to be stuck. I keep trying my hardest to pry it out but it won't move and I end up hitting my knuckles against the caliper. I guess this way isn't an option. Gonna go look for an adapter so I can hook it up to the compressor, I doubt I'd find one anywhere.
Ok. I'm surprised. Was this caliper in service? Can you buy an adapter for this sort of purpose? You could go to a breaker yard and get an old brake pipe, fit it to the caliper and then attach the other end to a foot pump with a hose clip.

Last edited by RayPooley; 12-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
JokerElite

Quote:
Ok. I'm surprised. Was this caliper in service? Can you buy an adapter for this sort of purpose? You could go to a breaker yard and get an old brake pipe, fit it to the caliper and then attach the other end to a foot pump with a hose clip.
I had a sticky caliper, so I'm trying to rebuild/fix it. Home Depot didn't have any adapters for it but I bought some PB Blaster that's for rust and what not and sprayed some around the piston maybe that will help and I'll try to pry it off again. If not I gotta find some sort of adapter some how.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #40
WDE46

Quote:
I had a sticky caliper, so I'm trying to rebuild/fix it. Home Depot didn't have any adapters for it but I bought some PB Blaster that's for rust and what not and sprayed some around the piston maybe that will help and I'll try to pry it off again. If not I gotta find some sort of adapter some how.
Home depot definitely won't have anything. If you have harbor freight look around there or a tractor supply. Otherwise just visit AutoZone, ORileys, Advance auto parts, or other auto parts/tools store.