E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
01E46POWER

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Brakes???

What are the best brake pads for a 01 325i? I've heard good things about Hawks'. Does anyone have any suggestions?
01E46POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
I'm solidly an EBC Green Stuff kind of guy, they provide great braking on the street, autocross and a couple of times a year on the track...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
that depends somewhat on the rotors it's mated to and mostly what you want the pads to stop best at: cold, medium or hot (track)
Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
01E46POWER

I just bought a set of Hawk ceramic pads. I did my research and they are claiming to provide 20-40% more stopping power!!! I'm super pumped and will let everyone know how they work.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Bimmers4me

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
I'm in the same situation here as soo many others... trying to make a purchase of rotors and brakes on my 03 325i and was looking into both of these pads so I am definitly curious on your feedback
Bimmers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
xfixkaos

My Ride: 00' 328i
I like cross drilled and slotted rotors from turner, brass pins for your calipers. And ebc pads personally. Red greener yellow read what they r for and which best suits you. And if u r doing it I'd recommend also doing SS lines. For the extra 125$ it's worth it IMO
xfixkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Stoptech or Performance Z Rated pads...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Oem
Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Bimmers4me

Don't want to hijack a thread but so far I spent 3 days reading two forums to help me make a decision and as of now I was already deciding on the Zimmerman X-Drilled for front and back and still trying to figure out the pads. This is a regular street car , sure I drive a little aggressive... heck we drive bimmers :-) but seriously I live in Florida and drive about 600 miles a week about half highway but plenty of stop and go. I already know I will do a fluid flush and decided on the ATE Blue but I have been wondering if SS lines actually make a difference or if its really worth it.

The pads have me and obviously others confused... Suffice it to say that I do not like the amount of brake dust that the OEM pads create and I completely get the common feedback that OEM have the best cold and initial "bite" but it's hard to translate what that really means to me in real life. I mean how long does it take for the pads to warm up and get passed the "initial bite" issue. I have 2 stop signs and a traffic light before I'm even out of my housing development... is that warm enough for me to get past the initial "bite" difference? I'm not trying to sound silly just trying to understand this is real world terms... like when I stop and go shopping in a store and then leave the parking lot after a few stop signs and speed bumps am I passed the "bite" thing by then?

Am I completely mis-understanding this??? Is the initial "bite" difference noticeable every time I have a sudden stop because the dope in front of me on the highway is texting and the traffic is horrible :-)

I was going to get Hawk ceramics but read about some problems with the pads so now I hesitate, I was ready to get the Greens and then read some really negative comments on those, I looked at Akebonos but keep reading about the initial "bite" and grab... in all frankness I think the more I read I eventually find some negative comments about most pads so I am having a hard time pulling the trigger today and making a purchase. I also can't seem to find anything that helps me decide relative to the fact that I understand their is a trade off with OEM versus 3rd party pads... meaning if all thee of the pads I reference have less initial bite than OEM... in a general street car use is there actually a difference between the three?

I hope I am making sense in stead of rambling and any advice would be greatly by me and probably many others... thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Akebonos brake okay, but I don't like mine anymore. Too much squeal, and you already mentioned the rest.
Take a look at this article http://blog.caranddriver.com/perform...c-yellowstuff/
Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Bimmers4me

Interesting article and comments as well... I actually never even considered those street/racing pads
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
Bimmers4me

I called 2 vendors and spoke with them and they pretty much agreed that the Hawk HP Plus was a good pad and streetable although a little dusty and noisy and additionally would wear the rotors a little harder, they said the Hawk ceramic was a good pad and better than the Akebono, they both seem to think the greens were also a little dusty and not as good as the Akebono or the Hawks.

Guys here report the Hawk HP Plus as being really noisy so I think those are out but I am surprised that the Akebono's squeal. Pretty much still brings me back to where I was with the Akebono vs the Hawk ceramics and learning for myself what the "initial bite" issue really is.

Last edited by Bimmers4me; 12-01-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
01E46POWER

I hear ya, it's a struggle. Unfortunately, I was hit and they ran messed up my front grill and hood. I have to get that fixed and then I'll be putting on the Hawk PC's with slotted SP Performance rotors. Once they're broken in I'll report back as to dusting and noise. It may be a few weeks as my body guy is on overload right now and can't get me in until the 8th. I'll let you know. One last thing, I used to use EBC green stuff pads on my Jetta and they were extremely dusty, drove me nuts!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Bimmers4me

With work and the holidays it took me awhile to get this going but I finally ordered the Hawk Ceramics and the Zimmerman rotors. I installed them last week which was basically easy with one exception; the two bolts that hold the rt front bracket for the floating caliper were so frozen on it took me two days to get them off. I had to use a 12 ton hydraulic jack under a long box wrench to actually almost lift the damn car an apply the full force of the jack numerous times to finally break the bolts... WHAT an ORDEAL!!!!

I can't report on the brakes yet because I need to start a new thread since I now have a transmission that is locked in the emergency mode and not sure what to do.