E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Zenocchio

My Ride: M3 vert e46 SMG
another SMG light thread :facepalm:

I am sorry to bother the forum with another SMG light thread, but here are the facts:
this morning I was driving in A3 and the SMG light came up on my dash.
I got the car just 3 weeks ago, and nothing came out during the PPI related to the transmission.
Bottom line, I tried to reset it today unsuccessfully performing the following:
1 - Disconnected the battery for 2 hours, the only thing that I manage to do is resetting the clock
2 - Resetting the SMG by going in N and pulling both flaps for more than 5s in a speed >80km/h, nothing happened, but now it shifts less harsher
3 - I invested 20$ and bought a new pink relay, nothing happened.

I must say that the car drives fine, if it wasn't for the light on that bothers me I would never feel any trouble.

On a side note, since I disconnected the battery my front windows only roll up with their own independent switch, but all 4 windows go down by pressing the common switch.

I just spent thousands to buy it, and I'm feeling pretty bad right now...
Zenocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
So the light is currently on but still drives? Does the gear selector on the dash blink?
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Zenocchio

No blinking, light on and the car just drives fine
Old 05-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
mooninite

My Ride: M3, 325i
Get your codes read.

/thread

OBD2 readers may not tell you anything. Find someone in your area with the INPA or DIS BMW software. Or pay your dealer an hour labor for them to read it.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Zenocchio

Could it be a worn clutch?
what are the signs of a worn clutch on an SMG transmission?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
e46built

My Ride: 325ci
It might be one of the pumps because mine did the samething
e46built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Zenocchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46built View Post
It might be one of the pumps because mine did the samething
One of the pumps? Why do you think so?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
e46built

My Ride: 325ci
Because mine did the same the light turned off but would drive normal and i took it to get it checked at the dealer and they told me it was one of the pumps
e46built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Zenocchio

Problem solved, or at least postponed.
today I invested 40$ and got my code read by a shop and the fault code was (021) 15 Hydraulic Pump Relay, Activation. Apparently this error is stored 41 times in the cpu.
I don't know what to think, as soon as they erase the code, the light went off and so far hasn't turn on yet.
Before changing the relay I did a SMG reset by pulling the two flaps and disconnected the battery. Probably then the errors stored were erased?
I then changed the relay but the light was still on. I probably should have disconnected the battery again then.
any suggestion?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Mallee

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
I don't believe that pulling the battery will reset codes.. (I've never heard of it being that easy with an air bag code.)

And I'm not sure exactly what you did with the "SMG reset" but it sounds like the one that is supposed to be done at 40kph.. and that does not reset any codes, it just get is to reset it's shifting data to default.
Mallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
mcmcgnns

My Ride: 2004 325i
Follow Up

Did the relay ultimately solve your issue? I have precisely the same occurrence and swapped the relay and cleared the code. I am hopeful that your equivalent symptoms were resolved with the relay replacement.
mcmcgnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Make sure your battery is fully charged. That can cause a bunch of codes for the SMG yet the car will drive fine. It can also fry that new $20 relay you bought. Odds are the car's never had a new battery and it's getting to be that time.

Other things to check - SMG Hyd. Fluid lever (covers near the intake manifold). Check to make sure all doors, trunk and hood are completely closed. Drive in S3-S6 and see if you notice any weird delays in shifting. Most problems don't really present in drivability issues unless you are in S5 or S6. As another member said, get your codes read and report back. We'll be able to tell more from there.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallee View Post
I don't believe that pulling the battery will reset codes.. (I've never heard of it being that easy with an air bag code.)

And I'm not sure exactly what you did with the "SMG reset" but it sounds like the one that is supposed to be done at 40kph.. and that does not reset any codes, it just get is to reset it's shifting data to default.
Airbags, because we like cars to be a PITA, run on a separate module so they don't reset with the rest of the codes.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Zenocchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcgnns View Post
Did the relay ultimately solve your issue? I have precisely the same occurrence and swapped the relay and cleared the code. I am hopeful that your equivalent symptoms were resolved with the relay replacement.
Once swapped the relay and cleared the code I haven't had any problem.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
mcmcgnns

My Ride: 2004 325i
Good to hear - to above, battery is behaving appropriately both (via MM readings) with and without a load. The error was precisely as above computer shows error 15 SMG relay implausible value or some such gibberish. To the OP the windows can be reindexed by going from top position to bottom and back up (relearning position) - once indexed the universal switch should behave properly. I assume you figured this out given the age of the thread but I noticed the question wasn't addressed.

Thanks again - I think I am in good shape.
mcmcgnns is offline   Reply With Quote