E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #41
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Finished bench test number 2, video will be posted tonight. Had the camera connected to my raw 7" screen and eliminated an entire circuit board of bs controlling gubbins. So far, so good, all is on track.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #42
kaput

2002 M3
Old 12-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #43
kaput

Well, the screen bezel showed up today. Got everything I think I need to start the screen retrofit.

The good news? Looks like the bezel is in perfect shape, and the motor/wiring/boards/buttons are all there...

Bad news? Looks like the screen I have that I wanted to use and was in the test video I posted will not be an easy fit. Anything is possible, so I guess we will see.

2002 M3

Last edited by kaput; 12-01-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #44
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
Cool project! Sub'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #45
kaput

New update coming soon. Got a lot done tonight.

2002 M3
Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #46
kaput

So after sourcing the Z4 screen setup, and pulling my old 7" screen out of the spot it's been hiding for 6 years, I decided to attempt to merge the two together, and get the whole thing setup and ready to go, so I could be one step closer to installing this.

Tonight, we got a lot done. We located some problems, worked through them and so far I could not be happier. Here are some shots of what we accomplished tonight, with more video coming soon.

Here I was trimming the internal parts of the Z4 screen bezel. There were mounting points and stand offs, screw holes and other associated parts that would not allow the screen to fit.

More stuff that was removed.

Shot from the back with the screen and electronics inside. It fits now!!!

Front shot. Shows the view...

Guts prepped and seperated from the screen back. We did not attach anything yet, because we wanted to not only test out the screen and stuff, but also want to find a clean servicable way to mount it.

Finally a shot from inside a car at night. Screen is in the bezel, and the camera is on a make shift mount on the roof for testing purposes.

Video coming soon.

2002 M3
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #47
kaput

2002 M3
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #48
someguy_99

My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Love it, innovation at its best. Keeping function and form, Oem switches for the great finds. Potential is huge, even for a budget build.

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson

Last edited by someguy_99; 12-02-2012 at 11:12 PM.
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #49
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
I wish I had the technical skills to try this. This is one of the best mods I've seen.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #50
kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
Love it, innovation at its best. Keeping function and form, Oem switches for the great finds. Potential is huge, even for a budget build.
Thanks. I love the fact that so far, EVERYTHING is an OEM part, one happens to be an OEM part for GM, but what does that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane View Post
I wish I had the technical skills to try this. This is one of the best mods I've seen.
Aside from some knowledge of wrenching, I really don't have a specific skill set for this kind of thing. I am just learning as I go. I could not have done this without my older brother, who is an electronic whiz.

2002 M3
Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #51
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
this is great
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #52
kaput

Finally tracked down a lens kit that was not $500. Paid $300 shipped for the front lens, which I believe is the front part of the camera and pin set as well, I guess we will see.

Now I am looking into different caps, or a motorized shield I can install to protect the lens when the camera will not be in use (day light hours).

Thinking going rubber, like a plumbing cap, but want to find something a little more "mil spec" if you know what I mean.

2002 M3
Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #53
kaput

My euro LCM showed up. I'll be using the faceplate for my new LCM. I was thinking of using the rear foglight switch to power the camera so I would have a visible light showing when it is on, but now Iam not sure.

2002 M3
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #54
kaput

Update:

Bad news... The front lens I ordered through an online resource is no longer available. Shame too, cause it was there a week ago. So, after doing some more searching, and calling, I found another in stock. The person I spoke with had it in hand and is shipping it UPS tracked and insured.

So, realistically, there is 1 left in the entire country, sitting on a shelf in Tennesse... For $400 dollars.

2002 M3
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #55
kaput

Tracking number shows the front lens kit will be here tomorrow, so I am thinking of doing another video etc for tomorrow.

I'll keep everyone posted.

2002 M3
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #56
kaput

Lens has arrived, and a new video to post. Coming tonight.

2002 M3
Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #57
kaput

2002 M3
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #58
kaput

2002 M3
Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #59
kaput

As with most things that get updated, and then passed off to the side, my project is one of them.

I am currently fighting for the right to drive my car, and as such, my car has been down for quite a while. I was told I would get it all back in December, which is why we have waited so long to do the install, no point installing all this when we can't use it right?

Well, as with anything, it is taking more time. Few things.

First, I got a new battery, and after sitting for over a year, the M3 fired up first turn of the key, with no issues what so ever.
Secondly, the LKM I purchased and had programmed works FLAWLESSLY!!! The photos below show just how well it is. Set up for HID and LED, and has fogs on all the time mod... I added a euro front switch plate I bought over seas for $36 and the install is great.

Notice the front and rear fogs are on, as well as the high beams? P0lar did his job well, kudos to you ind sir.

As for the camera and the project, we are all but there and getting ready for the install. I have a guy who is going to repair any bumper I bring him and paint it for $300, so I am on the hunt for an OEM from M3 bumper with foam, no rebar set up for a carbon rebar. Any color, doesn't matter. I have a CSL bumper for trade, but that is not the point of this thread.

The car lives!!!! Soon, it'll be registered and inspected and we will start work on the install. Hopefully it all goes nice and smooth.

2002 M3
Old 03-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #60
2001BMW325Ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
Subscribed! Pretty cool project. Looking forward to updates and finished product. Good luck!
Bright Red 2001 325Ci with Conforti Cold Air Intake | Shark Injector | Projector46 w/ Orion V2 | HID Fogs | Clear Corners, Side Markers, Bumper Reflectors | LED Tails | Hardwired V1 | RE OCTANE SSK | RE Tranny Mounts
2001BMW325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote