E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #21
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric W View Post
I do have aftermarket PeP-Boys brand: Pro-Stop Platinum brand brake pads. Basically cheap junk is on there right now.

And what Im searching for is kick-ass initial bite and cold performance. So OEM is pretty much unbeatable for initial bite/grab?????? Nothing aftermarket can compare with oem's initial bite?

OOPS NVM. already answer my question I think
Essentially yes. I "upgraded" from OEM to hawk hps. The stopping distance (I'm guessing) is the exact same. The dust is 99% better than OEM and the initial bite is just a little less than OEM. There's really nothing that beats on street performance of OEM. It's really that good. However the trade off is bad dust like I said before.
Pick your poison but know that OEM will undoubtedly give you what you want from a performance standpoint.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
GT172I

My Ride: 2004 330Ci, 335is
I'd agree with the previous posters and the sponsors (most really do know what they're talking about). The OEM's can't be beat for that initial bite outside of track conditions. The price you pay is dust, anything with less dust will have less cold bite. There are plenty of other compromises you will have to make too so figure out your priorities since there are a lot of offerings with perks in the other areas.

High dust - Low dust
Initial cold bite - Heat/fade resistance
High pad wear - High rotor wear
Cheap - $$$
Ceramic - Semi-Metallic
Squeal - Silent

From what you've described you're looking for above, I'd say OEM's are probably your best bet. Combine that with some Poorboy's Wheel Wax and you should be happy all around. Makes it way easier to hose off the dust with a little/no agitation.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #23
NickdZHP

My Ride: 06 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian@BavAuto View Post
I can offer my answer based on the direct feedback I've received from my customers. Out of the 4 pads you asked about, the only 1 we sell is the Cool Carbon so this is not intended to be any type of comparison to anything except an OEM type brake pad.

Initial bite, regardless of temp is excellent and much improved over OEM. If you use a Noise Free product of some kind and apply it correctly and use a fresh set of rotors you should not have any squealing issues. I put that in bold intentionally, it's very difficult to promise something like this. I've had people use all brand new parts and install things exactly as we say and never cure an occasional squeal. Sometimes it happens. I know that can be a deal breaker so if silence is an absolute requirement, you might want to stick with something like an OEM or Pagid brake pad, something soft.

Brake dust is reduced slightly with the Cool Carbons but it is by no means a clean/dust free pad.
Hi Ian,

I am pretty stuck on choosing between the Cool Carbon and Textar ePad Ceramic. I have a 330ci ZHP (performance pkg) and do a lot of highway driving, but also like to sprint around when I get the chance. I love the feel of the stock pads, but--the dust is killing me--especially having to clean those 135 style wheels every 2 weeks. I saw on BavAuto that the Cool carbons are low dust but also have great performance. Is this true? The ePads are much cheaper, and given that they're ceramic should grant low dust, but i'm not sure if i'd be trading performance with low dust on the epads. any help would be great!!!!
NickdZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickdZHP View Post
Hi Ian,

I am pretty stuck on choosing between the Cool Carbon and Textar ePad Ceramic. I have a 330ci ZHP (performance pkg) and do a lot of highway driving, but also like to sprint around when I get the chance. I love the feel of the stock pads, but--the dust is killing me--especially having to clean those 135 style wheels every 2 weeks. I saw on BavAuto that the Cool carbons are low dust but also have great performance. Is this true? The ePads are much cheaper, and given that they're ceramic should grant low dust, but i'm not sure if i'd be trading performance with low dust on the epads. any help would be great!!!!
Your timing is perfect. We have a tech session every Friday morning, tomorrow's is a Cool Carbon install on my car, 05 325ci. I see you're in Mass? If that's still accurate why don't you swing up and take my car for a drive and see if you like them?

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #25
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
just to add to and old bumped thread.

IMHO the BMW oem pads have a great initial bite.
my Stop Tech Street sport pads don't have the initial bite that the oem pads did. not saying they aren't good, just giving feedback between the two's initial bite characteristics.
they do however dust less.

the oem pads are known to dust a bit. this from what i read years ago in an article is because the BMW pads use some graphite in the compound. the grapthite is what clings to the wheels and is dark. but the good thing is it doesn't embed itself into the wheels like more metallic pad material can do.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
NickdZHP

Ian,

I really appreciate the offer!! I do live in Mass, but about a half hour south of Boston, and probably about an hour and a half drive to portsmouth. How did the test go? Any thoughts on the Cool Carbons and how they felt? thank for the quick response!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #27
NickdZHP

Ian,

I really appreciate the offer!! I do live in Mass, but about a half hour south of Boston, and probably about an hour and a half drive to portsmouth. How did the test go? Any thoughts on the Cool Carbons and how they felt? thank for the quick response!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #28
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

They feel good. They're still sort of getting broken in. As of right now the initial bite is good, better than whatever the pads were I removed. I'll give a better assessment in a couple days once these are really bedded in.

CONNECT WITH US
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #29
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

The more I drive them the better they are getting. Maybe it's the coated rotors, I don't know. The more I use them though the more I like them. Definitely better than stock pads.

The dust that is on my wheels was able to be washed off with a hose this morning, no scrubbing or anything. So as of right now they get a thumbs up from me, and I guess they'll continue to get better as they seat into the rotors over the next few days of use.

I know this doesn't help much because it's not compared to anything but OE, but I can say without a doubt this beats OE.

CONNECT WITH US