E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
abbas_m3

My Ride: bmw m3
can a bad bst cable cause charging problem ?

Ok so In short, Ive been having a battery drain problem with my car. Now It has clicked, I was involved in an accident a while ago and my electrician done a bogey job in his repairs. Now I have no idea what he done, however he made the car start without replacing the bst cable (as well as turn of the airbag light, i understand he tricked the ecu somehow) however not long after my airbag light came on so that as to no avail. (yes i have been driving with an airbag light on for over a year now lol) Also when I touch the bst cable I notice it gets really hot, as well as the actual cable is loose from its connection (the red tube connecting to the black box).

Now my question is, could this be my battery drain issue as sufficient electrical circulation isent being provided ? I know my airbag light will be turned off 100% if I replace my bst cable however how could I know if this also fix my draining issue ??

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by abbas_m3; 10-18-2012 at 04:01 AM.
abbas_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
abbas_m3

anyone of assistance ?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
a bad bst cable can give you charging problems but mostly starting problems. Once you change out the bst cable, it airbag will still need to be cleared via obd airbag reset tool of some sort.

Ive had a bad bst cable that burned through and had to replace it.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=bst

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
abbas_m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
a bad bst cable can give you charging problems but mostly starting problems. Once you change out the bst cable, it airbag will still need to be cleared via obd airbag reset tool of some sort.

Ive had a bad bst cable that burned through and had to replace it.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I know it will have to be reset.

However my problem is that, when a electrician tries to connect to my car through the OBD the car will not communicate, so he is not able to pin point where the battery drain is occurring from.

I understand that the bst will cause starting problems, however since mine seems pretty fu$ed, gets really hot, the cable seems loose and obviously the airbag light is still on.

I can get one for $240, so it does sound like a good idea to get one.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
xtacy12

My Ride: its stock
If the car is not communicating that is a serious problem. Fix the bst see if connects if not I hope you have a deep wallet
CSL 1-Piece Lip | Blackout Kit | Apex EC-7 | 75mm Studs | Moteki SR48 Gold Lugs | Yellow Stoptech ST40 | KW V2 | Vorshlag Camber Plates and RSM | UUC Adjustable Rear Control Arms | RRT Reinforced Rear Subframe | AFE Super Stock Intake | JVT Headers | SGT X-Pipe | 6.5lb Titanium Muffler | FS Tune by Frank Smith
xtacy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
abbas_m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacy12 View Post
If the car is not communicating that is a serious problem. Fix the bst see if connects if not I hope you have a deep wallet
Yup, I know it's not a simple problem, however you gotta do what you gotta do lol.

I'm still standing on the fence on weather to go ahead and get the bst cable. I need someone who has experienced anything similar to give me some information as I seems I will be changing the bst clearly on assumption. However it seems valid but I'm no electrician !
Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
abbas_m3

Anyone can give me any sort of advise on weather to go ahead and get a new bst cable ??

Need someone who was experiencing anything similar to what I have ??
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
BMW323ciDriver

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323ci
I'm kinda in a similar situation as you... except my car wasn't in a accident and my car isnt an M3. But I have a battery drain problem too. My Bst cable gets real hot to the touch which causes the car to have starting problems...and this go's further to the point that over time it wont charge the battery correctly. (I know this as I bought a fresh new battery after a couple months the battery would die quick all the time needing a jump.) I also have my Airbag light on as well, but that was caused by a back tire blow out.

I do suspect this BST wire bring faulty and needing to be replaced. Does yours have any burns on it? Mine was so hot to the point it started melting positive red cable a bit.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
MachRc
E46Fanatic

Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
BMW323ciDriver

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323ci
Damn, mine was not that badly burned! lol Mine was actually the shorter red wire along side this thick one above. It was melted at least an full inch of red plastic exposing the wiring underneath. But since it was right on the bolt along side the thick wire it did melt that one a little bit too, mostly right on the yellow airbag wire and on the black plastic casing.

I do think that might have had something to do with the airbag light coming on cause it does have some kind of discharge tube inside the the black casing on the end, but I dont know for sure though.
This is what I need, not sure if OP needs the same. http://www.ebay.com/itm/390486352220...84.m1423.l2649
Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
MachRc
E46Fanatic

^ thats a great price, do not go to the stealership

Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
huynerm3

My Ride: ///m veRt
so when the airbag is deployed, the bst cable has a small explosion? after the airbag is deployed, do we need to replace the bst cable?? i too have a starting problem right now and my battery gets completely drained. If i were to go in the rear and wiggle both cables around, the car would more than like start. its a very weird problem. i have been reading so much on bst cables but i dont want to spend that much on a part and/or assumption.
huynerm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
MachRc
E46Fanatic

^^ check to see if the cable is frayed. or gets REALLY hot when the car is started. The first sign for me was that I too had to wiggle it and gets the curve out and make it somewhat straight to start up. Then after awhile it would get HOT, then started charring the cable next.

have a friend at a bodyshop order you the cable as they(business) can get it cheaper than you can. I think I got mine for 150$ or somewhere under 200$(i forgot)