E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
YEG_E46

My Ride: 328i
Unhappy I need some advice, and help...

Hello everyone, New to the forum. Bought my 1999 328i sbout a month ago and i love it....untill now. There was a really high pitch squeel coming from the trans and the clutch wasnt disengaging. Took it to eurasia in edmonton alberta, and this is what they have told me. It needs a new slave cylinder, clutch flywheel and a coupe of other things that total close to 4 grand. Now heres my question. I paid 3000 dollars for the car. has 330000 kms on it, fully loaded, black. beautiful inside and out. No history of any accidents, zero dents on the body. In your guys expert opinions, is it worth to be fixed, or should i just cut my loss's and call it a day. Any advice would be much appretiated.

Last edited by YEG_E46; 12-03-2012 at 03:25 PM.
YEG_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
4 grand for a clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder? doesnt sound right.
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG_E46 View Post
Hello everyone, New to the forum. Bought my 1999 328i sbout a month ago and i love it....untill now. There was a really high pitch squeel coming from the trans and the clutch wasnt disengaging. Took it to eurasia in edmonton alberta, and this is what they have told me. It needs a new slave cylinder, clutch flywheel and a coupe of other things that total close to 4 grand. Now heres my question. I paid 3000 dollars for the car. has 330000 kms on it, fully loaded, black. beautiful inside and out. No history of any accidents, zero dents on the body. In your guys expert opinions, is it worth to be fixed, or should i just cut my loss's and call it a day. Any advice would be much appretiated.
DIY fix is worth it. Shop fix is not worth it.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
DIY fix is worth it. Shop fix is not worth it.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
That's a tough predicament

Well it's an old car - so some parts will have to be changed - wear and tear

Try get another quote if u cant DIY

Make sure your subframe is in good cond...

And consider if u will love ur car and keep it for a long long time -
Then consider getting it fixed

Just my 2 cents buddy

Good luck!

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
4000 seems like an awful lot. If you are able I would try and do it yourself with some quality aftermarket parts. You could probably do all of it for around a grand if you shop around on parts price.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
Go onto the Regional Forum on his forum and other BMW Forums to find "shade tree mechanics" who have a good reputation on the Forum. The threads are easy to find and once the positive news on the person gets out, people just write/post about them. For example, on M3Forum, there is a fellah in the San Diego/SoCal region whose handle is: KAIV, and he is exactly such a person; he does valve adjustmemts, VANOS hub replacements and many other complicated repair procedures. Find one of these Fellahs in your region. The job cost will hopefully be a fraction of the $4,0000 dollar cost provided by a shop.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG_E46 View Post
Total manual clutch parts about $800

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...93&hg=21&fg=05

The slave is $70.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=21&fg=10

$4K seems ridiculously excessive. Get another quote.

When you think about it it would be considerably cheaper to take a week off work and DIY.

But even at $100 an hour it should only be about $700. It should not take more than a day to chnage a clutch.

Last edited by RayPooley; 12-04-2012 at 04:47 AM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Total manual clutch parts about $800

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...93&hg=21&fg=05

The slave is $70.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=21&fg=10

$4K seems ridiculously excessive. Get another quote.

When you think about it it would be considerably cheaper to take a week off work and DIY.

But even at $100 an hour it should only be about $700. It should not take more than a day to chnage a clutch.

+1, but you can probably do it in 2-3 days easily. Take a personal day on a Friday, or Thurs/Fri, and you'll have it back on the road Saturday night.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
My local dealer quoted me $1,500 to do the clutch (now dunno what all was included in that) so this seems high. You won't get your money back even if you do this yourself. At best it'd make your car sell faster. You need to decide if it's worth it to you. Shop around and get some quotes (if you can't/don't want to DIY it) and then decide if it's worth it to YOU.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90, E82, F22
Whoever you talked to is either a theif, don't know what they are doing, or don't know anything about ordering parts. Not many other categories they could fit into. If you can't trust them on a quote, I would be wary of them coming within 3ft of my car. go back in and tell that mother****** that if he EVER tries to lie to you to again he will not see another customer come in for three years. Watch godfather a couple times for examples if needed.

jk.

but seriously. What a loser. be like.. " uhh. can you itemize this for me please. Where are you coming up with your numbers, your hourly rate, parts prices, because 4k is not possible for this job. Like, i really can't figure out how you are even coming CLOSE to this. Quotes are part of a business too. I will give a bad review on a quote ALL day. need to hold people accountable. Especially mechanics.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Whoever you talked to is either a theif, don't know what they are doing, or don't know anything about ordering parts. Not many other categories they could fit into. If you can't trust them on a quote, I would be wary of them coming within 3ft of my car. go back in and tell that mother****** that if he EVER tries to lie to you to again he will not see another customer come in for three years. Watch godfather a couple times for examples if needed.

jk.

but seriously. What a loser. be like.. " uhh. can you itemize this for me please. Where are you coming up with your numbers, your hourly rate, parts prices, because 4k is not possible for this job. Like, i really can't figure out how you are even coming CLOSE to this. Quotes are part of a business too. I will give a bad review on a quote ALL day. need to hold people accountable. Especially mechanics.
I got a quote for an ATF and filter change a few weeks ago. It was for around $650 (previously I got one for $700+). I asked the guy exactly why it was so expensive. He really couldn't justify it. I broke down the parts cost to a maximum of $150 and he had nothing to say. I asked, "So you want to charge me for 5+ hours of labor for a job I can do myself in 2 or less?" No legitimate response, just bullshit like "Well, we use BMW ATF." Dude, I see that Redline D4 ATF on the shelves behind you.

Anyway, I have found that most mechanics are criminals and don't know what they are doing, nor do they take pride in their work. I don't think I'll ever take a car I own to a mechanic unless I have to for the rest of my life. The auto repair industry is a scam.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
650 for an ATF and filter change? My mechanic told me get everything and I'll charge you 50$ I don't have tools nor space so this is the route I'm taking and I'll be there the whole time so I can make sure everything is good
Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90, E82, F22
Quote:
I got a quote for an ATF and filter change a few weeks ago. It was for around $650 (previously I got one for $700+). I asked the guy exactly why it was so expensive. He really couldn't justify it. I broke down the parts cost to a maximum of $150 and he had nothing to say. I asked, "So you want to charge me for 5+ hours of labor for a job I can do myself in 2 or less?" No legitimate response, just bullshit like "Well, we use BMW ATF." Dude, I see that Redline D4 ATF on the shelves behind you.

Anyway, I have found that most mechanics are criminals and don't know what they are doing, nor do they take pride in their work. I don't think I'll ever take a car I own to a mechanic unless I have to for the rest of my life. The auto repair industry is a scam.
Wow. lol
Incredible.. its like uhh cool ..... haven't learned much here other than that you are a complete scammer. What did you end up doing. /threadjack
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Wow. lol
Incredible.. its like uhh cool ..... haven't learned much here other than that you are a complete scammer. What did you end up doing. /threadjack
I haven't done anything about it yet. I'll end up chaning the fluid myself though. I have to tools and time to do it on a weekend in the future.

They did try to tell me that my car doesn't need it (70K miles) before they gave me the quote. I told them I didn't care what their recommendation was and that I wanted the fluid changed. Either way, they are scamming the **** out of people who don't know as much as I do about my car. They also wanted $575 for tierod installation (or $350 if I provided parts) and $200 for an alignment.

Sorry to thread jack, but I was just sharing my lesson learned:

SHOPS SUCK

Last edited by WDE46; 12-04-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
I haven't done anything about it yet. I'll end up chaning the fluid myself though. I have to tools and time to do it on a weekend in the future.

They did try to tell me that my car doesn't need it (70K miles) before they gave me the quote. I told them I didn't care what their recommendation was and that I wanted the fluid changed. Either way, they are scamming the **** out of people who don't know as much as I do about my car. They also wanted $575 for tierod installation (or $350 if I provided parts) and $200 for an alignment.

Sorry to thread jack, but I was just sharing my lesson learned:

SHOPS SUCK
Not all shops suck, but some do. I am cheap as hell and price/look around a lot before letting someone work on my car. Occasionally, if something big goes down, I will pony up for a premium shop in Nashville - but they are very honest/fair about labor time and they do not mark up parts (at least for me.) My usual rule of thumb is if a shop won't let me furnish the parts, I probably won't use them. There are some great indy mechanics out there who will do that tie rod and allignment job for a lot less - keep looking.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
Not all shops suck, but some do. I am cheap as hell and price/look around a lot before letting someone work on my car. Occasionally, if something big goes down, I will pony up for a premium shop in Nashville - but they are very honest/fair about labor time and they do not mark up parts (at least for me.) My usual rule of thumb is if a shop won't let me furnish the parts, I probably won't use them. There are some great indy mechanics out there who will do that tie rod and allignment job for a lot less - keep looking.
What shops in Nashville do you use? The shop I am referring to is in Nashville.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #18
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
When I use a shop, it is Nashville Autohaus - they are the best indy BMW shop in town. Import Auto Maintenance is a good shop as well. I know of some other good mechanics, too. Send me an email: rob.knox@comcast.net
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
When I use a shop, it is Nashville Autohaus - they are the best indy BMW shop in town. Import Auto Maintenance is a good shop as well. I know of some other good mechanics, too. Send me an email: rob.knox@comcast.net
Okay because I am referring to EuroFix on Keniwood Drive (by 100 Oaks) and another shop that quoted similar prices (Aiken BMW).
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
You should find another shop.. I'm guessing you're not super-handy and you found the best 'European' indy shop because it's your new baby, but I'm sure a job like this is regular stuff any decent indy can manage for a quarter of the cost. You should buy the parts yourself and pay the shop for just labor, supplies and incidentals. Clutch kits shouldn't cost more than 5-600 tops, and 5-6 hours of labor at $80-100 tops.. Just a very approximate ballpark guess without knowing exact part/labor estimates, but I can't be too far off.

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote