E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #41
maurer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 497
My Ride: 04 Coupe
Doesn't sound like a rod knock to me either.
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #42
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,105
My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
LOL on all of those that think changing to regular oil had something to do with it. Car engines don't benefit from synthetic oil other than extended oil change intervals. Synthetic oil was originally developed for jet engines because regular oil couldn't withstand the temperatures and pressures that turbine engines produce. Conventional car engines won't produce temps or pressures high enough to break down the lubricative properties of conventional oil. There have been numerous studies done on this.

That being said, I still put synthetic in my BMW!

A little history on synthetic oil:

http://www.oil4kids.com/syn-hist.htm


Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkercatal View Post
i WENT TO A BMW mechanic today here in brooklyn ( guy used to work at bmw factory in ermany, a russian guy)
He listened to the noise and he says 95 percent chance is the lifters. i told him will this sieze the engine, he goes i dont think so. I asked him also, how much to repair and he says 1000 to 2000 depends what is needed. So since my car is only worth like 3000$ i am just going to use it as it is and do all other maintence and live with this small noise. Or, if one of ya'll can give me a link on how to do this lifters change ( is it expensive to buy the parts, is it tedious job to do).
$1-2k for what? I'd get a new mechanic.

Did you check your spark plugs even? Sounds like one is loose or an exhaust leak.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #43
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,934
My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkercatal View Post
Or, if one of ya'll can give me a link on how to do this lifters change ( is it expensive to buy the parts, is it tedious job to do).
Probably not prohibitively expensive to DIY, but the problem is you've got to remove the cams to get to the lifters. And that means you'll be messing with cam timing and removing the timing drive chains. Can be tricky.
I believe there are special tools designed to pull the lifters up and out of the head to swap out with the new ones.

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #44
madunix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 113
My Ride: Silver 01' BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Probably not prohibitively expensive to DIY, but the problem is you've got to remove the cams to get to the lifters. And that means you'll be messing with cam timing and removing the timing drive chains. Can be tricky.
I believe there are special tools designed to pull the lifters up and out of the head to swap out with the new ones.

cool video!
madunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #45
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,045
My Ride: 330i
Can't believe most people on here never heard of lifter ticks before.

Car is at 180+ thousand miles, and the noise started happening after an oil change with some dyno noise. This is what happens if you don't use correct viscosity oil in high-mileage engines.

Just change the oil with the most viscous LL-01 synthetic to help with the noise next time around. It may still be there, but I wouldn't try and open up the engine just because of this.

Edit: Lifter noise is very common in e36 and e34 circles. The cure is what I said above.
__________________

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 12-04-2012 at 04:20 PM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,949
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
LOL on all of those that think changing to regular oil had something to do with it. Car engines don't benefit from synthetic oil other than extended oil change intervals. Synthetic oil was originally developed for jet engines because regular oil couldn't withstand the temperatures and pressures that turbine engines produce. Conventional car engines won't produce temps or pressures high enough to break down the lubricative properties of conventional oil. There have been numerous studies done on this.

That being said, I still put synthetic in my BMW!

A little history on synthetic oil:

http://www.oil4kids.com/syn-hist.htm

Not quite. The other advantage to synthetics is that they can be exposed to higher temperatures without degradation. An engine that's designed to run on synthetics may have a few localized regions of high temperatures.
__________________
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #47
330iPilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 579
My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Not quite. The other advantage to synthetics is that they can be exposed to higher temperatures without degradation. An engine that's designed to run on synthetics may have a few localized regions of high temperatures.
Not high enough to coke conventional oil. You need way higher temps than any regular old street car engine can produce.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #48
Sapote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: southern California
Posts: 310
My Ride: E46 2000 323i wagon
non-synthetic oil won't damage or cause engine knock guys!!! engine oil is for engine. Synthetic oil might have other benifits (last longer between oil changes, ect.) but is not necessary.

Sapote
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #49
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,947
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
non-synthetic oil won't damage or cause engine knock guys!!! engine oil is for engine. Synthetic oil might have other benifits (last longer between oil changes, ect.) but is not necessary.

Sapote
Sorta true, but the specs are. The E46 (non M) oil needs to have a viscosity of approx 12.0 cSt @ 100C, and a minimum HTHS of 3.5. Most XW30's don't come close to meeting these specs. This is why it's easier to just buy LL01 oil, or oil that at least meets ACEA A3,B3.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #50
cranker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: detroit
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2003 330 convert
changing the oil, has no effect on the engine i've had four bmw, i used 20w 50 in everyone engine ran fine the amount of time and mileage is the difference.
cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #51
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,949
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
Not high enough to coke conventional oil. You need way higher temps than any regular old street car engine can produce.
Perhaps in a single instance, but take higher than average temperatures over an extended period, and you've got an oil that probably wouldn't even last the usual 3K miles.

In this case, chances are the non-synthetic was pretty far from the specifications required of the E46.
__________________
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #52
330iPilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 579
My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Perhaps in a single instance, but take higher than average temperatures over an extended period, and you've got an oil that probably wouldn't even last the usual 3K miles.

In this case, chances are the non-synthetic was pretty far from the specifications required of the E46.
Higher than average temps aren't going to do it either. You need temps that regular internal combustion engines are incapable of producing in order to destroy conventional oil.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
e46 engine knock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use