E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
thehittman007

My Ride: 2002 M3 Manual
Viper alarm removal no start

I am new to the forum and just bought a 02 M3 that came with a viper alarm with remote start and I made the mistake of removing it..............wished I had left it alone. My car won't start now and I am sick. I thought I was careful and respliced the wires that required resplicing on the original harness, but I must have missed something. I am freaking out because I don't really have the money to tow to a dealer and troubleshooting. I believe it has to be something simple and hope I can get some good technical advice.

Yeah, I should have left it alone.........I know.

I am a little confused about the wiring in the electical box under the hood on the drivers side near the firewall with four screw and black cover. There was a couple of wires spliced that I just cut the connecting viper wires and taped up. There are some other splices in there that look like factory splices compared to the butcher job that the viper installer did. Are the splices in this box with a green cap a factory job?

Besides that, I patch a splice on the clutch position sensor and the brake pedal sensor and the sensor on the ignition key cylinder ( I don;t know the proper terminolgy....sorry).

I am getting all the instrument lights etc in the last position before cranking. In the cranking mood I get nothing.

I did notice that the mileage reading in the odometer changed to a symbol that resembles a cross or something like this ... ... : ... ...

is this a code?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thehittman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
This is a shot in the dark, but it sounds like you didn't reconnect something to do with either the ignition or the CAN bus (hence why the mileage display is screwed up). You can find wiring diagrams at http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
JaYaRe

My Ride: goes, Brroom Brooom
check your fuses, other than that idk man, we dont know how the viper alarm was wired in
Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
In your area, find a stereo shop who is an authorized Viper alarm dealer/installer who does installs on higher end car's like BMWs. See if you can get a bit of guidance from the installer. If that doesn't work, go to Viper's website, find their corporate phone number, call them and just ask the general question: which shop(s) in the area are the best shops that handle high end cars. From there, talk to the individual shop installers.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
protected by viper stand back.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Classic. A no start post alarm install could be a couple of things.

1) you cut the starter wire completely and put a relay between it soyou don't grind the ignition, so that's 1.
2) you have to leave a key in the car, so that could be screwing with the ews. Find the key and remove it. Then re-sync the keys to the ews
3) on a manual, you have to bypass the clutch safety , there are a couple of ways to do this, since I don't know how it was done I can't tell you where to look but basically you jump the switch with a relay, so that may have been damaged.

At the end of the day an alarm like this is not meant to be disconnected. If it was installed well, you shouldn't be able to tell where the factory ends and the alarm begins. My first rs install took almost 12 hours (lots of customization). After I became an installer professionally, it still could take 2-3 hours.

You done ****ed up uninstalling this. You're going to have to pay someone to fix your mistake. It's too difficult to troubleshoot without seeing it.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
thehittman007

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
thehittman007

Thank you all for your response to my post about the viper uninstall.

Jgold47,

your response caught my attention . I realize I screwed up, but the install was not that great. I could see where most of the connections were made to the OEM harness, so I thought I had covered everything.

You sound like a pro at this some hope you don't mind me asking for some more help.

The seller told me that the remote start would work if the car was in gear and to be careful. The clutch positon switch was wired into the viper.....think it was a purple wire( I am not at home to look at the moment.........I disconnected the viper wire and spliced the OEM wire back together.

Does that mean the clutch switch is bad? If so, could this cause the no start? How do I check the switch for proper operation?

About the key being in the car........you mean a viper key or a bmw OEM key? Sorry for my ignorance! The ignition switch cylinder switch was wired into the viper and I did the same on it......removed the viper wire and reconnect the factory wire.