E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #121
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
This is my advice an aesthetics approach, NOT a strength approach (..although you will obviously get stronger), and this is only one scheme to consider...
Thanks a lot... seriously. When I'm at work and getting paid to sit on a computer , I'll take your suggestions and make a routine out of them
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #122
dabears

Here is what I came up with. I think this will be around a 60 minute workout, 4 days a week... and will completely destroy my body. Hopefully others agree. Thanks for all the tips everyone, I tried to include all of yours M3inline.

Monday - Shoulders / Triceps

Shoulders
Military Press - 4 Sets X 4-6 Reps
DB Press / Arnold Press / Upright Row - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Side Laterals - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Rear delts cables - 3 Sets X 12-15 Reps
Triceps (Bar)
Skulls - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Press Downs - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
French Curls - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps

Tuesday - Back / Traps / Forearms

Back
Deadlift - 4 Sets X 6-8 Reps
T-Bar Rows - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Wide Grip Pullups - 3 Sets X 5-8 Reps
DB One-Arm Rows - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Seat rows - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Biceps
Preacher Curls - 3 Sets X 8-10 Reps
Incline DB Curls - 3 Sets X 8-10 Reps
Concentration curls - 3 Sets X 8-10 Reps

Thursday - Chest / Triceps

Chest
Flat Bench Press - 4 Sets X 8,8,6,6 Reps
Incline DB/Smith Press - 4 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Pec Dec - 4 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Low Cables - 4 Sets X 12-15 Reps
Triceps (Cable/BW)
Press Downs - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Dips - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps

Friday - Quads / Hamstrings / Calves

Quads
Squats - 5 Sets X 12,10,6,6,8 Reps
Leg Press / Lunges - 4 Sets X 10,8,6,10 Reps
Extensions - 3 Sets X 4-6 Reps
Hamstrings
Romanian Deadlifts - 4 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Lying Hams - 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
Calves
Standing Calve Raises - 4 Sets X 8-10 Reps
Donkey 21s - 4 Sets X 21 Reps

Starting monday so plenty of time to nitpick it

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-30-2012 at 11:36 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #123
dabears

An example weight selection (and progression) for the 6-8 rep range would be a weight that I feel I could get 8 reps with first set and fall off after... so say I can do 8 reps of 60lb DB incline chest press first set, I get 7 the next, then 6... I know next week that I want to keep the same weight, but hit 8-8-8, or even 8-8-7 etc... when I can get at least two back to back sets same reps then I move up slightly in weight to keep me within the 6-8 range... hope that made sense.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #124
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
That workout seems fine. We could nitpick things all day long with everyone of our programs so you might as well just go for it.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #125
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
That workout seems fine. We could nitpick things all day long with everyone of our programs so you might as well just go for it.
My thoughts pretty much... I don't see anything inherently stupid in there, so I want to give it a try for a few weeks and see how it fits/works
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #126
DylloS

Good article written by the guy that made the "program" I follow.
http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/11/the-p...-of-a-program/
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #127
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
dabears, stick with that workout for at least 90-120 days.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #128
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
dabears, stick with that workout for at least 90-120 days.
agreed. If I based my programs on a few weeks I'd be switching every time. Stick it out.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #129
dabears

Halfway through that article, I keep having to do work... pfft.

Didn't mention this, but reason I'm nitpicking the workout is because I plan on doing this from december until at least april, possibly further depending on where I'm at.

Just meant I am going to see how everything is going, and make some tweaks here and there if needed! Name of the game here is eating big and staying consistent
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #130
dabears

Quote:
Good article written by the guy that made the "program" I follow.
http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/11/the-p...-of-a-program/
Agreed, great article. That sums up exactly what I feel I'm trying to accomplish here... taking a generic program (supplied to me by a trainer) and adding/subtracting and tweaking to fit my goals/lifestyle... I feel I may have accomplished that, once I have a couple weeks of it under my belt some small changes may need to be made. For example, that program was originally a 5 day split and included things like forearms and traps... I prefer deadlifts so I replaced with that.

Pretty much just trying to take the "cookie cutter" base and mold it to be perfect for my individual needs.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #131
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
An example weight selection (and progression) for the 6-8 rep range would be a weight that I feel I could get 8 reps with first set and fall off after... so say I can do 8 reps of 60lb DB incline chest press first set, I get 7 the next, then 6... I know next week that I want to keep the same weight, but hit 8-8-8, or even 8-8-7 etc... when I can get at least two back to back sets same reps then I move up slightly in weight to keep me within the 6-8 range... hope that made sense.
You're thinking very linear. You can't assume linear progression. Sometimes you don't sleep well, or will miss a meal, get in a fight with your gf, etc.

Just push yourself. Planning to always get better is fine, but I wouldn't put too much effort into planning out that linear growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #132
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
You're thinking very linear. You can't assume linear progression. Sometimes you don't sleep well, or will miss a meal, get in a fight with your gf, etc.

Just push yourself. Planning to always get better is fine, but I wouldn't put too much effort into planning out that linear growth.
I agree with this. My goal is to add weight every time but I just can't sometimes. I get annoyed but not too discouraged.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #133
dabears

Just discussing general theory, I very much understand the difference week to week... I've seen it often. I am very very good at pushing myself in the gym, trust me on that. I like rep ranges to MONITOR progress & decide the level of weight to use, but I've never been the type to stop at 8 reps if I feel I can bust out a few more... the ultimate goal is to have the most efficient time under tension possible (or more simply put, hating your life in the gym).

I know there's a graph out there showing hypertrophy and adaption, its certainly not a straight line graph... more like peaks and valleys that hopefully have a somewhat linear trendline.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #134
dabears

Gonna post logs like everyone else for a bit, maybe someone will see an inefficiency.

Mondays workout...

Military Press
115lbs x 6
115lbs x 5
115lbs x 3 (failed on 4)
110lbs x 4

DB Press (weight is both dbs)
90lbs x 7 (failed on 8th)
90lbs x 6
80lbs x 7

Side Laterals (weight is both dbs)
40lbs x 8
40lbs x 8
40lbs x 8

I don't like going too heavy on these, looking for smooth controlled reps.

Rear delts cables

Failed at this, gym is too busy (only one cables section), going to switch it to reverse dumbbell flies lying down on the bench.

Skulls (try 60 next time)
55lbs x 8
55lbs x 8
55lbs x 8

French Curls
45 x 7
45 x 3
35 x 6

tri's were toast

Tuesdays....

Deadlift
135 x 6 (warmup x 2)
245 x 8
245 x 8
250 x 8
250 x 8 (will try 255 next week)

T-Bar Rows
115 x 8
160 x 5
147.5 x 6

Wide Grip Pullups (B/W)

7 reps
6 reps
4 reps

DB One-Arm Rows

60lbs x 8 (3 sets, nice and slow reps)

Seat rows

85 x 8 (3 sets, nice and slow reps)

For db one-arm rows and seated rows, I like to do a weight that I can control and do nice smooth reps with, squeezing the lats etc. with each rep. Good strategy? Or should I be going balls to walls with these too

Biceps
Preacher Curls
50lbs x 10
50lbs x 10
50lbs x 10

Was supposed to do below:

Incline DB Curls - 3 Sets X 8-10 Reps
Concentration curls - 3 Sets X 8-10 Reps

But my arms felt shot and I had already been in the gym for an hour and 15 minutes... I think I'm going to just do 3 sets of a bicep isolation exercise (swap each week between the above) to kind of "finish them" off, considering I do a ton of heavy pulling back exercises.

So far so good, been tracking my food and hitting 3200 calories on gym days, on average about 250g of protein / 300g carbs / 80g fat. If I don't put on mass I'll be incredibly pissed.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #135
DylloS

looks pretty good. Deadlifts are moving up nicely. With the military press are you standing and bringing the BB all the way to the top of your chest?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #136
dabears

Quote:
looks pretty good. Deadlifts are moving up nicely. With the military press are you standing and bringing the BB all the way to the top of your chest?
Yeah I think building up this way I will hit a 280 x 8 with good form very soon.

I think im actually doing an overhead press... feet are shoulder width apart, standing in a squat rack... and I'm doing everything I can to get the bar up (on final reps, using momentum from legs to get bar off chest, then straight shoulder press with no body english for the rest of the movement... if I can't get it above head I consider it a failed rep).

Pretty sure a strict military press your heels are together and its just shoulder pressing. I do this with the DB press, sitting upright.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #137
DylloS

Quote:
Yeah I think building up this way I will hit a 280 x 8 with good form very soon.

I think im actually doing an overhead press... feet are shoulder width apart, standing in a squat rack... and I'm doing everything I can to get the bar up (on final reps, using momentum from legs to get bar off chest, then straight shoulder press with no body english for the rest of the movement... if I can't get it above head I consider it a failed rep).

Pretty sure a strict military press your heels are together and its just shoulder pressing. I do this with the DB press, sitting upright.
yea that's an OHP. Try to not use the legs to get momentum though then it turns to push press
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #138
dabears

Quote:
yea that's an OHP. Try to not use the legs to get momentum though then it turns to push press
Yeah if I take my legs out of it then I will definitely have to go down a bit in weight after the 1st or second set, but I'd rather be doing the exercise properly.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #139
DylloS

Quote:
Yeah if I take my legs out of it then I will definitely have to go down a bit in weight after the 1st or second set, but I'd rather be doing the exercise properly.
definitely do it the right way then. I know it's hard to sometimes though.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #140
dabears

Fridays Chest / Tris workout...

Bench Press
135x 5 Warmup

165 x 6
160 x 6
155 x 5
150 x 5 (was trying to stay between 6-8 reps... with a spotter could have snagged one more on each)

Incline DB

120 x 8
120 x 6
120 x 6
120 x 6

Pec Dec, 4 sets of 6-8 reps

Cable Flies - 4 sets of 10-12 reps

Tricep Pushdowns

70 x 8
100 x 8
115 x 7

Dips (B/W)

5 Reps
6 Reps
6 Reps

Tris were shot.

Once I have a workout log for each, I'll post numbers up in a couple of weeks and see if there has been progress.