E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #41
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
you wait ok. Why wouldnt u wait 1-2 mins when the car's cold in morning?

///Motoluxe w/ Bimmer
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #42
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Because if I pull out of my neighborhood and drive the car at the same engine speed, I can do 40-ish without doing anything that is not happening when the car is sitting in the driveway wasting gas.

I agree that one would not want to go out and press the red line without waiting a minute or two or three, but since the car wants to idle at 1200-ish rpm anyhow, and I can do that in 3rd gear and keep up with the guy in front of me, why wait?

The Owner's Manual clearly says that it is not important to wait, just get in and drive. It says to drive away at low engine speeds while waiting for the engine to warm up because it takes a long time and the emissions are high. The idea is that since the emissions are high, you may as well be going some place because if you wait at home, you still have to go someplace and make emissions while going there.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #43
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
It is not advisable to warm the car up by idling it. The thing to do is to drive it as soon as it starts and don't exceed 3000 RPM till the engine reaches operating temperature. That is the proper warm up for the car.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #44
Hockeyguy02

My Ride: E46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
It is not advisable to warm the car up by idling it. The thing to do is to drive it as soon as it starts and don't exceed 3000 RPM till the engine reaches operating temperature. That is the proper warm up for the car.
I'm looking for engine temp right ? How come it takes so long for my oil to to get to regular operating temp ? Sometimes my 30 minute drive to work won't even get it there. Sorry if I'm thread jacking

CarbonBlackCinnamon
30% Tint/Black Grilles And Gills/CF Wrapped Trim/MeganRacingExhaust/DepoSmokedCorners
Hockeyguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #45
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy02 View Post
I'm looking for engine temp right ? How come it takes so long for my oil to to get to regular operating temp ? Sometimes my 30 minute drive to work won't even get it there. Sorry if I'm thread jacking
The Temp Gauge with the blue square at one end and the red square at the other is the Engine Temp, not the oil temp. What it reports is the temp of the engine coolant, which is also the temp of the engine for any practical purpose.

If your needle stays below the mid point after 30 minutes of driving, then you have a thermostat that is stuck open. This is less harmful to the engine than a t-stat that is stuck closed -- an engine that's not hot enough is far better than an engine that's too hot -- but the cold motor calls for a rich fuel mixture, and this causes you to use more gas than you should be using. A t-stat that is stuck closed can be a fatal condition, but a t-stat that is stuck open just wastes gas. There are other long term issues that you should seek to avoid, but your car is in no danger of screeching to a halt on the expressway with steam and smoke billowing out of the wheel openings.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #46
scarede46er

^This. And BMW recommends that you can start giving full throttle once the temp gauge has reached the middle part.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #47
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
I wait for the vacuum sound to go off the least i can do for a 9 year old bmw. I also wait for the rps to drop a bit.
It just grinds my gears when i see ppl drive off the second they start their cars.
The new f30's have a 'ready' line on their tachometer explain that? Not sure how fast that drops cause i never drove one yet.

Last edited by Bemwe_03i; 11-27-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Bemwe_03i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #48
scarede46er

^that has something to do with the auto start stop system, not that the car is warm enough to move!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #49
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
My SAP has been broken since I bought my car.... But I live in Florida so it is pretty pointless. What sucks is it throws a code, annoying. I'm not going to spend $100 on a part I literally don't need. Same thing goes for the oil level sensor, not going to spend $97 on a part that I honestly don't need.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #50
scarede46er

Do a sap delete and eu2 tune to get rid of the light. Seriously f the epa.. a bunch of illiterate buffoons telling the rest of us how to live.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #51
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
^Well I live in FL, so no emissions.... Can you link me to the SAP delete?? Whats the EU2 tune? thanks

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 11-27-2012 at 09:31 AM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #52
scarede46er

I can but I am on my phone now. Do a search on the forum for sap delete. I have seem its here.

Sent from my MB865 using Bimmer App
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #53
jdstrickland

There is no reason to sit around waiting for your car. All you need to do is to drive it slowly and keep the tach to as low as you reasonably can. Don't jump straight onto the freeway, that's not a good thing to do, but you can pull out of the neighborhood onto the feeder street and drive the few blocks to the artery road. After a couple of traffic lights and a stop sign or two, you are ready to hit the highway. My house is about 2 miles to the freeway, and the car is warm by the time I get there, and hasn't gone but about 500 - 1,000 RPMs faster than it would go in the driveway.

Surely the people that build the cars know when you can drive it, and they say to not sit around waiting on the car to warm up, just drive it slowly (low engine speed) while you wait for it.

Maybe they don't know... they tell us to change the oil on an interval, and you guys change it at 1/3 what they say.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #54
rickmccl

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Those mfr's (manufacturers) probably don't know; but I do believe that the oil pressure is higher under part throttle than sitting idling in the driveway, so the moving car is getting better oil circulation and the car in the driveway is more risky of engine wear.

But when they hit 200,000 miles you learn to do what they seem to like better, some of the old clunkers seem to prefer to heat up all the parts before trying to exercise.

on topic: so where is the link to how to disassemble the SAP? I'm tired of the neighbors ducking into their bomb shelter when I start it up in the morning. Of course, that does keep them off the sidewalks.

Last edited by rickmccl; 12-05-2012 at 11:19 AM.
rickmccl is offline   Reply With Quote