E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #21
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
hes obviously a troll
Old 10-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
hes obviously a troll
Why would I take the time to post this? I have better things to do, troll.

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #23
ATU2010

My Ride: Blacked 2004 ZHP
Few days old thread but I get what you're saying man. When I was 16 I was big into baseball with intentions to play college ball. I was lifting twice daily and all that nonsense. When I was about 17 I sneezed and noticed what felt like a cramp in my lower waist area (aka my balls). Needless to say I was a little concerned. I ignored it for a few months then decided to go see a dr I'd always gone to. Told me I had one on my lower right abdominal area. Had surgery the next week (trying to make it back to play my senior year). Went into surgery crying like a b*tch, surgery is literally my biggest phobia in life more than a gun pointed at my face. Needless to say everything went fine other than I had a hernia on my lower left abdominal area as well. They simple threw some little cotton ball sized mesh pieces in there and sewed it up. Recover was hell but after it was great and I'm lifting more often than I ever was.

What I think caused mine however was doing squats. I was doing a three day lifting routine, meaning third day was legs. At the time I was doing bench squats with a spotter and going beyond failure and the spotter assisting me on my last two reps. Before surgery I was squatting over 400 repeatedly.

I've literally never met, never heard, or even read anything about a guy as young as I was getting a hernia.

You go big or you go home man. Applies in the gym or fitness just like anything else. If you don't give it your all your chances of injuring yourself are a lot higher. If the risk isn't worth the reward to you tho then there's no point
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #24
trentcdrums

Oh man. I've had swollen lymph nodes and my balls ached it ended up being nerves from my back doing it. So I hope it never will happen again. Just gonna have to not use my back to pick things up etc

Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #25
ATU2010

My Ride: Blacked 2004 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Oh man. I've had swollen lymph nodes and my balls ached it ended up being nerves from my back doing it. So I hope it never will happen again. Just gonna have to not use my back to pick things up etc
It's all in the legs!! Lol but seriously

Last edited by ATU2010; 11-21-2012 at 07:38 AM.
ATU2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #26
JaYaRe

My Ride: goes, Brroom Brooom
you get hernias from not breathing right say when you lift and you dont breath out, the pressure builds in you intestines then blam hernia, breath out every time you push or exert strength and breath in when the weight is coming down
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #27
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaYaRe View Post
you get hernias from not breathing right say when you lift and you dont breath out, the pressure builds in you intestines then blam hernia, breath out every time you push or exert strength and breath in when the weight is coming down
I've heard of this and agree thanks man!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #28
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaYaRe View Post
Pretty much every top strength coach would disagree with this. Valsalva technique helps to hold core tightness to avoid back injuries.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #29
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Pretty much every top strength coach would disagree with this. Valsalva technique helps to hold core tightness to avoid back injuries.
since I've learned to hold pressure it's helped me a lot. The belt imo is working wonders.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
dabears

i'm trying to get the best of both worlds... when I was deadlifting yesterday I was taking a big breath in, holding it to get the weight off the floor, then as I lifted slowly exhaling by making a "duck face", in this case I feel its ok lol
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #31
DylloS

Quote:
i'm trying to get the best of both worlds... when I was deadlifting yesterday I was taking a big breath in, holding it to get the weight off the floor, then as I lifted slowly exhaling by making a "duck face", in this case I feel its ok lol
I think that's ok. I know for me personally, as long as I have my body full of air on the hardest part of the lift I'm ok. On pull ups and chins I find it helps to exhale as I pull up.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I think that's ok. I know for me personally, as long as I have my body full of air on the hardest part of the lift I'm ok. On pull ups and chins I find it helps to exhale as I pull up.
Definitely helps... I randomly discovered my "core" on wide grip pullups yesterday, I focused on keeping it rigid and holy fk did that help, I got an easy 2-3 more reps doing that. Funny how focusing on things like "pulling the bar towards yourself" and keeping a tight core make worlds of difference.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Definitely helps... I randomly discovered my "core" on wide grip pullups yesterday, I focused on keeping it rigid and holy fk did that help, I got an easy 2-3 more reps doing that. Funny how focusing on things like "pulling the bar towards yourself" and keeping a tight core make worlds of difference.
Told ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Told ya!
That was my suggestion! You said the thing about flexing your buttox!
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #35
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
i remember Steve saying it too haha
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #36
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post