E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #101
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Found the info again. You need to modify the vold.fstab file in the /etc/ directory. To do this, you need to have root access and explicitly request read/write access. Even with /etc/ mounted as read/write, the file was still locked read only for me. So once you've saved, verify that your changes actually took before rebooting. One of the best things about the dynavin...if you screw it up, reflash android

My config:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/ehci-omap.0/usb2/2-3/2-1.1/

The last bits are determined by which usb port you are accessing from. By plugging and unplugging your USB device, you should be able to figure out which is which. Mine happens to be in the "3" spot on my USB hub.

Also, another major thing to note. The dynavin does not supply adequate power through the USB to power the SSD. So if you are trying to do this, you will need a hard drive enclosure that allows for a 2nd USB port that will ONLY supply supplemental power. This wasn't easy to find, but is critical.

If anyone is attempting this and has any questions, let me know

Edit: sorry for jacking your thread Jeff

Last edited by morningisbad; 12-04-2012 at 11:07 PM.
morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #102
snewton1992

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Hi, I was wondering if its possible to hook up subwoofers and aftermarket speakers and amps to this head unit?
snewton1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #103
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Yes, it has RCA outputs for aftermarket equipment.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #104
jknutter

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Dont know what is going on there but every phone is different....just to confirm you are doing it right....go to the bluetooth screen, press the phonebook icon on the bottom of the screen, a keyboard will come up, start to type your contact and the screen should populate with matches.

its bluetooth audio streaming, its not going to display art or track info.
Jeff- I figured out my phonebook issue. Can't explain why but I did a battery pull on the phone when it came back up the D99+ auto connected (which it wasn't doing before) and now my phonebook has appeared. Obviously a phone issue not the Dynavin.

I do have another question. Last night while driving after sundown the screen was extremely bright. I had the Dim setting turned on but the D99 didn't dim when I turned on my headlights. The only way I could dim it was to hold the mute button for a few seconds. Is there no auto dim when the dash lights come on, or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Also as a FYI. My wife drives a 2012 Passat and her OEM radio does display track/ album info from Pandora via Bluetooth.

Last edited by jknutter; 12-05-2012 at 11:43 AM.
jknutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #105
jknutter

I followed the Instructional video and installed the GPS antenna below the HVAC Ducts right above the head unit on the metal tube support. In my case the reception was horrible. It took at least 5-10 minutes before the system would lock on a satelite signal. I really did not want to mount the antenna on top of the dash in plain sight (That OCD thing again). So I searched for another location and found the perfect spot!

Remove the instrument cluster (two T15 Torx screws) and set it off to the side (you don't even have to disconnect any wires). Behind it you will find a flat tab that is part of the HVAC duct work mounting. I used the left over two sided foam tape from the back up camera gasket to stick the GPS antenna to this tab. Now the system locks on the satelites almost instantly and even gets a strong signal in my garage. Enjoy....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-05_12-05-44_860.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	481025   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-05_12-08-13_517.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	481026  

Last edited by jknutter; 12-05-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #106
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknutter View Post

I do have another question. Last night while driving after sundown the screen was extremely bright. I had the Dim setting turned on but the D99 didn't dim when I turned on my headlights. The only way I could dim it was to hold the mute button for a few seconds. Is there no auto dim when the dash lights come on, or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Also as a FYI. My wife drives a 2012 Passat and her OEM radio does display track/ album info from Pandora via Bluetooth.
you hold down the MUTE button to dim the screen, the DIM setting controls if the screen turns off or just dims.

I didnt mean that bluetooth as a technology couldnt do track info....I meant the dynaivn was just bluetooth audio streaming and basic track control.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-05-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #107
jknutter

Quote:
I didnt mean that bluetooth as a technology couldnt do track info....I meant the dynaivn was just bluetooth audio streaming and basic track control.
Understood, thanks.

I discovered the speed warning today - Set it for 110% and I'm loving it! After driving a lifted Jeep Wrangler for several years I find it hard to judge my speed in this car. There has been a few times that I glanced at the speedo and found myself going 15MPH over. This option will keep me from loosing my license, I'm sure.

Last edited by jknutter; 12-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #108
seti1337

My Ride: Mercedes W203
Quote:
You guys are killing me! We just went over this at length further up this page.... The DVD drive is different, the PCB board is different, the bluetooth module is different, the main board is different, the touchscreen is different, AND the firmware is different.

Please dont post things like this if you dont know about them, it perpetuates misinformation, remember your posts will still be here months and years from now when you have long forgotten about it.....and ill still be getting emails with questions about the "firmware update that turns a D99 in to a D99+" (that doesnt exist)
Thats not the truth, the mainboard, bluetooth, dvd and gps IS NOT different...the only thing is the Display with the Circuit-Board for dvd and mp3/sd.

In Germany Dynavin changes the Display with Board for about 100Euro is much but its worth! and everything works perfect.

Last edited by seti1337; 12-06-2012 at 09:25 AM.
seti1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #109
J&T Distributing

I have parts on my workbench, some are interchangeable, some are not. I mentioned the ones that are not.....you are technically correct that certain parts can be broken down, boards unsoldered etc...for instance, the mechanical part of the DVD drive is the same but the board its soldered to is different....so you could dissasemble the drive, unsolder the board, solder in a new board....you can take things apart, change parts, solder/unsolder others, and create a D99+ out of a D99 and D99+ parts....but this is not realistic for 99% of people. What you are describing sounds more like creating a hybrid unit, changing the PCB board will give you something that looks like a D99 on the CD/SD/USB part...changing the touchscreen will make it more responsive....but there are other subtleties, software flashing via USB instead of the update port, the extra bluetooth info, the way audio interacts between bluetooth and nav, that are different as well. Saying Dynavin can take a unit apart and convert it is a lot different than a customer being able to flash the software.

My point is simple, The D99+ is MORE than software. Period. If someone wants to take a unit apart and document exactly what it takes to turn a D99 into a D99+ thats fine with me but I dont have time for that. I get countless emails from people wanting to know where "to download the D99+ software" for their D90-D99 units. It doesnt work that way.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-06-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #110
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
I have parts on my workbench, some are interchangeable, some are not. I mentioned the ones that are not.....you are technically correct that certain parts can be broken down, boards unsoldered etc...for instance, the mechanical part of the DVD drive is the same but the board its soldered to is different....so you could dissasemble the drive, unsolder the board, solder in a new board....you can take things apart, change parts, solder/unsolder others, and create a D99+ out of a D99 and D99+ parts....but this is not realistic for 99% of people. What you are describing sounds more like creating a hybrid unit, changing the PCB board will give you something that looks like a D99 on the CD/SD/USB part...changing the touchscreen will make it more responsive....but there are other subtleties, software flashing via USB instead of the update port, the extra bluetooth info, the way audio interacts between bluetooth and nav, that are different as well. Saying Dynavin can take a unit apart and convert it is a lot different than a customer being able to flash the software.

My point is simple, The D99+ is MORE than software. Period. If someone wants to take a unit apart and document exactly what it takes to turn a D99 into a D99+ thats fine with me but I dont have time for that. I get countless emails from people wanting to know where "to download the D99+ software" for their D90-D99 units. It doesnt work that way.
I think this was a confusion point for us. It sounded like they released the D99 with a slightly better screen and a firmware update and called it the D99+. But it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #111
Kukanuka81

My Ride: 02 E46 M3 conv.
Send a message via ICQ to Kukanuka81
How can we install apps like pandora and Facebook, etc.. I have created a gmail account already and it starts downloading but says unsuccessful every time. Can anyone help me..?
Kukanuka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #112
seti1337

My Ride: Mercedes W203
you dont have to solder anything is just plugandplay and the Mainboard is exactly the same with bluetooth and GPS.

You are right with thats not just an Software update, but you are not right with bluetooth, gps, mainboard and dvd.

Last edited by seti1337; 12-07-2012 at 03:47 AM.
seti1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #113
latlon

My Ride: BMW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknutter View Post
I followed the Instructional video and installed the GPS antenna below the HVAC Ducts right above the head unit on the metal tube support. In my case the reception was horrible. It took at least 5-10 minutes before the system would lock on a satelite signal. I really did not want to mount the antenna on top of the dash in plain sight (That OCD thing again). So I searched for another location and found the perfect spot!

Remove the instrument cluster (two T15 Torx screws) and set it off to the side (you don't even have to disconnect any wires). Behind it you will find a flat tab that is part of the HVAC duct work mounting. I used the left over two sided foam tape from the back up camera gasket to stick the GPS antenna to this tab. Now the system locks on the satelites almost instantly and even gets a strong signal in my garage. Enjoy....
If you have a comfort windscreen/heat-absorbing glazing the place for the GPS antenna underneath the dashboard will result in zero satellite reception. Even placing it on the dashboard is not good enough, obviously.

I'm in the situation right now, looking for alternatives...
BTW, does the GPS antenna really have a SIRF III chip set?

Does anybody already have a solution where to place the antenna in case of comfort glazing?
latlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #114
al-djazair

My Ride: E46 E34 E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by latlon View Post
Does anybody already have a solution where to place the antenna in case of comfort glazing?
Hi all,

I had the BMW GPS system in my E46, the OEM GPS antenna is located under the rear window shelf.
I'm using it with my Dynavin without problem.

I tested the Dynavin GPS antenna fitted directly on the top of the Dynavin main unit without problem.
2 x '86 E30 323i sold for parts

Last edited by al-djazair; 12-07-2012 at 08:43 AM.
al-djazair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #115
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by latlon View Post
If you have a comfort windscreen/heat-absorbing glazing the place for the GPS antenna underneath the dashboard will result in zero satellite reception. Even placing it on the dashboard is not good enough, obviously.

I'm in the situation right now, looking for alternatives...
BTW, does the GPS antenna really have a SIRF III chip set?

Run the cable through the filewall into the ABS compartment. Mount the GPS on top of your cabin filter right before the black plastic grill on your hood. I have my SiriusXM antenna here with zero issues.
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #116
x13atma17x

My Ride: E46 323i & MK6 Jetta
Hey Jeff, my wife surprised me with an Android D99+ yesterday. Just wanted to thank you for helping her with the order

All I need now is a Relocation Bracket & Backup Camera

Last edited by x13atma17x; 12-26-2012 at 01:34 PM.
x13atma17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #117
J&T Distributing

Nice!

I got a sweater.....

Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #118
jknutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by x13atma17x View Post
Hey Jeff, my wife surprise me with an Android D99+ yesterday. Just wanted to thank you for helping her with the order

All I need now is a Relocation Bracket & Backup Camera
Congrats! You are going to love it!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #119
x13atma17x

My Ride: E46 323i & MK6 Jetta
Jeff, just purchased the Relocation Bracket, please ship them to my work address asap so I can get the installation done this weekend

Purchase No.: 2038

x13atma17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #120
J&T Distributing

No problem, the order is on my desk, ill ship it out this afternoon.

Tags
d99, d99+, dynavin, gps, navigation