E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Oil Filter Housing Gasket still leaking.. Residual or not?

Hey so the first time I put my OFH back together there was a small wire that got in the way of the gasket so when I started my car there wasnt a seal and oil went everywhere. After finally doing it right, I believed that the leak was gone. So I monitored it for a week or so and the residual oil stopped showing up under the car. Now 1000 miles later, I pull off the undercarriage sheild and notice its pretty wet. Not dripping wet, but damp. Is it possible this is still residual oil from the massive oil leak before or do I have another leak. My oil dipstick looks like it hasnt moved, but Im not 100% sure on that because Im dont know exactly where it was before but its still in the same range.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
bmw-323-20000

My Ride: 997 and E46
very likely it is residual oil from the last leak, just clean up the oil on the undercarriage. In a week or so, inspect the undercarriage for any oil.
bmw-323-20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
I had an oil leak, all symptoms pointed to the OFHG, which I replaced. Checked maybe a week later and there was oil back in the vicinity. Not alot, but newly wet. Turned out I needed to replace my oil pan gasket. All has been dry since then. I posted an observation on the process and someone else posted a DIY. When I enquired what my local dealer would charge to replace it, it was just shy of $1,000, so I did it myself.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Do you have the linke for the DIY? I found one but no pics
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Get yourself a big piece of cardboard, an oil catch, and two or three cans of brake cleaner. Spray down the areas around the OHF and the oilpan. The brake cleaner will tear the oil away from the metal. Use the blue shop towels to clean where you can and you'll see the metal dry out without any oil.

Start the motor and let it idle without the underpan in place for about 20 minutes while you watch for any sign of a leak. If none, button it back up. Go for a 20 minute drive and take the underpan back of and see if it's still clean. If not you should be able to identify where the leak is coming from since everything will be pretty oil free before you took the drive. GL

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!
Watching too many Toody and Muldoons?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
YOnpds

My Ride: E46