E46 Fanatics Forum banner

*Street Edge Coilovers Review *

270K views 1K replies 159 participants last post by  Rob43 
#1 ·
So I've had the coils on for a week and have driven about 2 thousand miles with mixed highway and city driving. I am coming from Eibach pro Kit springs with stock sport shocks with 70 thousand miles on them(they were not blown when uninstalled)
Here is when i first got the coils

Close up of the welds

During install

After :thumbsup:

Now my opinion- In my experience the ride stiffness is comparable to St Coilovers, and yes I have ridden in cars with both. I was worried that the rear of the car would become bouncy as with racelands, but I have not experiences any bounciness. The car feels stiff and planted. I have experienced some Low speed knocking sound fro the front with the coils on the lowest setting due to the helper spring not being compressed enough. Overall I am very happy with my purchase and I will not be returning the coils :hi:

See less See more
#93 ·
Ok so recently I had some spare time and took the shocks off due to annoying chatter....
Here is the issue with them (i have my car at stock ride Height)
-the passenger shock, on the bottom, where a small tube goes inside the big tube under compression there is a plastick round black thingy, and below it is a nut with 4 holes on top of it... it got loose and the shock portion was moving up and down inside the frame of the shock itself... (video coming tomorrow)
-the passenger side the springs are the issue, at the end where the last coil is welded to the previous coil, the weld broke, and the sring actually started unwinding (both the small and the big spring) so if you grab the top spring (little one) and wiggle it side to side there is chatter as it contacts the top spring perch cide walls on the inside.. when welded it was a tight fit, now it wiggles side to side...
Also there is a thump in the back, but i am not going to blame the shocks just yet.
how should the top hat be assembled?
Because if you do the original setup like,
Big cone washer-top hat - small cone washer - then there isn't enough room for the bolt, so i am running without the bottom cone washer!

Over all, you get what you paid for... i am probably going to replace them soon.... lucky for me I do my own work so I didnt have to pay somebody to install them and remove them 3 times....

#95 ·
after reading this post, i'm almost convince in getting these. I am definitely in need of new shocks, my shocks are bilstein sport shocks, i believe they are factory. not really sure. My ride is very bouncy, i dont like it. So i'm in need for some new stuff. I was looking at BC, KW, MEGANS, KONI FSDS, and more. I can't make up my mind, i don't want to spend much but if these are on sale and under 500. i wouldn't mind giving it a try.

#115 · (Edited)
hey Kris
Looking to lower my car but not slam it. i DD it and never track it. so its mostly visual. i was turned off by the racelands due to people saying that the rear is bouncy...how is your compared to that? also was the knock issue in the front solved? i will have someone install it for me and cant afford to keep returning to a mechanic to keep fixing the knock. i saw you state that you should use the OEM bushing somewhere between springs? was that the issue? gotta read the thread over.

edit :"For the people with spring noise. Please use the factory washer. It goes between the upper spring seat and the top mount. This should fix the issue."

thats what i was talking about........was that the whole problem with the knocking?

#116 ·
Ivan,

Sorry for late response I came down with the stomach flu on Thursday morning. Just recovered! To answer your question on ride quality compared to Raceland we have very happy customers. The Raceland spring is much stiffer than ours. Hence why their coilovers ride bouncy. I believe Street Edge coilovers are great for a driver looking to get a little drop and freshen up their suspension. Unfortunately some of the noise complaints where installation related. There is a factory washer that installs near the top hat that you must reuse. Some were tossing this washer aside. Also you must open the hub wide enough to properly seat the housing. We also took steps by using a Loctite during assembly to help prevent any noises. Hope this helps.

#118 · (Edited)
Street Edge is NOT designed to extremely slam your car. It is designed to lower it and give it a little performance.

BMW
6/92-98 3series (E36) Sedan, Coupe, Convertible all SE801010 1.6"-3.1" 0.8"-2.0"
99-06 3series (E46) 2WD Sedan, Coupe, Convertible, Touring SE801012 1.2"-2.8" 1.2"-2.0"
00-06 M3 (E46) Coupe + Convertible all SE801013 0.8"-1.6" 0.8"-1.6"

#120 ·
I'm hoping Kris or anyone else may be able my question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on ordering these coilovers this week or next. I'll be installing them over Christmas break, my work gives us 11 days off. On the website it says that stock wheels may require wheel spacers. I'm going to be running the factory rimsand tires. Style 68 with 225/40/17 up front and 245/40/17. I know how to measure coil over to tire distance to determine spacer size. Does anyone know what spacer size might be required? I don't know if I'll have time to install and get the spacers before I return to work. Its my dd so I can't afford too much down time. I'm just looking for a round about figure to make it work until I can get an exact measurement. Thanks for any help guys.

#128 ·
Just found ur rims specs. Think ur ET34 and I'm ET47 so that's like you running 13mm as it is. with the 12mm it's 25 for me to get to the same place. Daym. Really wanted to avoid getting ANOTHER set of wheels. Lol I'll keep on digging.

Also does anyone know how much lower the oem sports suspension ride than the stock one?

#131 ·
I've been following this thread for awhile and I think I have just about decided to give these a shot. Normally I would have stuck my nose up at parts such as these, but so far these things sure do have a lot of "pros" and not many "cons". I have been amazed with the amount of customer service Kris has provided, along with several other factors. My only concern is that the lowest setting doesn't look all that low. I am not going for the slammed look, but it seems like there should be a little more adjust ability there. Does it seem to work out once the springs settle? I've got a touring model so I hope I won't run into a problem having a reverse rake. Speaking of... anyone know if this set works on wagons? Kris?

Thanks, Mark

#134 ·
Question!

I have H&R Race Springs (not on the car yet) and I'm saving up a little more to buy this shock kit to go with them - http://www.amazon.com/ST-Suspension-47033-Shock-Convertible/dp/B007BMKSE8

What would that setup be like compared to these Street Edge coils? Obviously the coils will provide more of a drop (right?), but how about the quality?

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the coils on 35/18 tires :)

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.