E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
dmax got kicked out of the house due to his obsession with garden hose and gummipflege. open wifi is spotty at best in NJ!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I should be so lucky to get CO poisoning... NO2 poisoning would be better though!

I've mostly been hit or miss because Fanatics is beginning to feel like Groundhog Day to me (the movie, not the day)!

Besides, I've done my time, I think...however many posts I've gotten, I've pretty much said all I know...the only thing I add is the occasional troll!

If there's a really stupid thread, I feel like I have to say something, otherwise, between Mango, jfoj, and replacing everything...I think all the bases are covered...'cept gummi pflege...which would also, actually, work good on bases.

Anyway, jfoj, we're fine here...I'll never be back to normalcy, but I'm trying to head back a bit from lunacy!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #23
greydart

My Ride: E90 330i
Reinstalled the battery last night and all the crazy interior quirks were gone. All systems back to normal.

Checked the OFHG. No leaks

Power steering resevior has fluid residue on it but nothing dripping.

No residue at all on the alternator.

Drive belts in great shape, dry and working fine....which is expected since they are new.

Looks like I'm back to the original problem somewhere between the alternator and the battery. Time to troubleshoot that.

DMAX, feel free to PM me if you want me to spend some time bringing you up to speed on that rustproofing process.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
greydart

Is there an inline fuse somewhere between the battery and alternator?

I remember having this problem on another vehicle where a blown inline fuse was causing an issue.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Search battery safe terminal (bst)

There are other monster fuses around, but they're rarely implicated in anything around here.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #26
greydart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Search battery safe terminal (bst)

There are other monster fuses around, but they're rarely implicated in anything around here.

Will do. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #27
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
you need to find out whether you have a bad battery or alternator. finding out is very easy. all you need is a voltmeter.

crank the car. with engine running....measure the battery. the battery should read anything about 13-14volts. if so then your alternator is good. turn off car....measure battery. if battery is below 12 volt then you have a bad battery.

hope this helps. good lucj
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
greydart

Battery is fine, been tested.

No way to really know if it's the voltage regulator or the alternator without pulling it.....and if I'm going to pull it I'm going to replace the whole thing as prev. maintenance. I was hoping I could get away with just replacing the VR but it doesn't make much sense. Murphy's Law says I'll be be replacing the alt. in 10K anyway if I just change the VR.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #29
greydart

Quick update:

Ordered a new alternator before removing the old one. Removed the old one and had it bench tested. It tested fine at Advance Auto.

I read in some other thread a member had his alt. tested by 3 places, all of them saying it was good, so he replaced it anyway and his issue was fixed.

I did the same thing and the car has been running fine for a week now. The problem might have been the VR but there's peace of mind in knowing I shouldn't have to worry about the alt. for quite some time.

Last edited by greydart; 12-05-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
greydart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
JDez

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by greydart View Post
Quick update:

Ordered a new alternator before removing the old one. Removed the old one and had it bench tested. It tested fine at Advance Auto.

I read in some other thread a member had his alt. tested by 3 places, all of them saying it was good, so he replaced it anyway and his issue was fixed.

I did the same thing and the car has been running fine for a week now. The problem might have been the VR but there's peace of mind in knowing I shouldn't have to worry about the alt. for quite some time.
I bought 2 alternators when I was having issues. Even after installing both of them I was still having the same problem. I had my uncle take it to a trusted indie (I was overseas at the time) who determined it was a short. He fixed it and it hasn't been a problem since. You might want to invest in that P.A Software. After I received mine, I checked to see what stored codes I had, and I saw "taillight short circuit"(or something like that) listed.

Best of luck OP, I hope the new alt fixes it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
JDez is offline   Reply With Quote