E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #181
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
Was told today the car still didn't run good. The guy told me they replaced the camshaft under warranty. I'm not sure if he meant sensor or the actual camshaft lol. If they replaced the whole camshaft that would be pretty crazy. Will find out later tonight or tomorrow when I get the car, and try to find out what the culprit was to the rough idle. It seems it might have not been the vanos.
That'd be rare for a camshaft to go bad. The sensor is a common problem across all e46s.

Have they checked your intake hoses for cracks?
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #182
gselsidi

My Ride: 2005 325i M56
They replaced the whole camshaft in the notes it said vanos was stuck and it caused camshaft to move From original position it also mentioned something about one of the pistons not being able to move properly. Who knows maybe the tech messed it up removing the vanos, but the idle issues are fixed.

Last edited by gselsidi; 12-05-2012 at 08:11 PM.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #183
briangl92

Quote:
They replaced the whole camshaft in the notes it said vanos was stuck and it caused camshaft to move From original position it also mentioned something about one of the pistons not being able to move properly. Who knows maybe the tech messed it up removing the vanos, but the idle issues are fixed.
Wow. Well it's a good thing you took it in. Keep us updated!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #184
gselsidi

Going to take it back as the shifter selector light doesn't work and the dsc button seems to not work either.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #185
gselsidi

Quick question, if a part under warranty say for example the vanos breaks and causes damage to another part of the engine like a piston would warranty cover that also?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #186
briangl92

Quote:
Going to take it back as the shifter selector light doesn't work and the dsc button seems to not work either.
Yikes, well if it wasn't like that before you brought it in they should be liable for sure.

Quote:
Quick question, if a part under warranty say for example the vanos breaks and causes damage to another part of the engine like a piston would warranty cover that also?
I guess it would probably depend on the circumstances but in general, I'd say yes. But it all depends. Half the time we can't even get the stuff that's covered to get covered.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #187
gselsidi

Hey do you have a picture of our ABS module? where is it located on our cars? I want to test it by unplugging it. Also, what do you think about changing transmission fluid at 99k if its never been done before? on our cars? i have an 05 btw my mechanic was warning me not to do it.

Last edited by gselsidi; 12-10-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #188
gselsidi

Also where is the abs module on this car is it under the intake? That's where I see those metal tube things going down too. I looked everywhere on top and I couldn't find it. Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #189
briangl92

Quote:
Hey do you have a picture of our ABS module? where is it located on our cars? I want to test it by unplugging it. Also, what do you think about changing transmission fluid at 99k if its never been done before? on our cars? i have an 05 btw my mechanic was warning me not to do it.
Quote:
Also where is the abs module on this car is it under the intake? That's where I see those metal tube things going down too. I looked everywhere on top and I couldn't find it. Thanks
Yes the thing with the metal tubes is the ABS pump. Its easier and better to test it through INPA.

Back when I was going to a mechanic (he was an ex-BMW and Mercedes tech with a PhD in mechanical engineering and used to rebuild transmissions - one of those old guru types), I was told that anything past 75k is a gamble. If you don't change it, the seals will harden and start letting fluid through. If you're past 75k and change it, it can kill your transmission too because the resoftening of seals can also let fluid through and wreck the transmission.

If it were me, I'd change it but do it gradually.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #190
chillinhardinanE46

My Ride: 2003 325i
will dealer charge for diagnosis of an M56? I have a P0430 code which related to post cat o2 sensor/ cats. Will they charge i i take it in? I have a slight rough idle.
chillinhardinanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #191
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinhardinanE46 View Post
will dealer charge for diagnosis of an M56? I have a P0430 code which related to post cat o2 sensor/ cats. Will they charge i i take it in? I have a slight rough idle.
Yes, they'll charge a diagnostic fee. But if they find a problem that is covered, they waive the fee.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #192
gselsidi

Mine charges $150 and if you do the work with them which I don't they waive it or if it's covered under warranty. Go to dealer ratings and read reviews for good dealers. These guys around me have a very good reputation. A replacement key is only $150 cheaper then online websites.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #193
bimmerbeamer

My Ride: 03 325iT
California has a fairly extensive minimum emissions parts list that must be covered:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...ad/proappb.pdf

I asked the dealer if the cylinder head was covered (as it's on the list). Their initial answer was no, but then they double checked and told me it was covered. I'm getting ignition coils, and the secondary air pump and hoses replaced under the warranty.

My car has about 110k and the fuel pump was working, but the dealer decided to replace the whole assembly since the tech found it was taking longer than normal for the car to start._nr_
bimmerbeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #194
gselsidi

What was wrong with your cylinder head?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #195
Bear77

My Ride: '04 325iT SULEV
I just found out about the warranty thanks to this thread. It turns out, I just replaced my mass air sensor, air intake boot, and post-cat O2 sensors. Do I have any recourse to recoup my costs since these items were covered under warranty? I've also got a leaky VANOS oil line that I'm trying to get covered. BTW, I got the attached SULEV parts list from the service dep't at the local dealership.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SULEV Parts List.pdf (489.2 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Bear77; 02-22-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Wrong Attachment
Bear77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #196
gselsidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear77 View Post
I just found out about the warranty thanks to this thread. It turns out, I just replaced my mass air sensor, air intake boot, and post-cat O2 sensors. Do I have any recourse to recoup my costs since these items were covered under warranty? I've also got a leaky VANOS oil line that I'm trying to get covered. BTW, I got the attached SULEV parts list from the service dep't at the local dealership.
What is this list? Things covered under warranty?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #197
Bear77

According to the service department at East Bay BMW, yes.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #198
gselsidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear77 View Post
According to the service department at East Bay BMW, yes.
Dude you are the man! !!!!! To bad I just replaced thermostat, they cover torque converter and so much other things I knew these things were covered as they all effect emissions.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #199
gselsidi

Hey also please see if you can get an 05 list if possible, but this is great.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #200
Bear77

Is there anyway to ge reimbursed from BMW NA for these repairs if we've already paid for them? Or are we S.O.L. for being ingorant?

Tags
m56, sulev