E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Ice scraper and winter washer fluid

If snow accumulates AT ALL then you shouldn't even THINK about driving on the highway with summer tires. It will be literally like driving on an ice rink... incredibly dangerous.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymoon View Post
I've driven in snow, in front wheel drive cars, that I didn't care about.... it's the ice that I should be worrying about.
RWD and FWD are very different beasts in the snow. I actually prefer RWD.

Ice is much more "interesting" than snow. Freezing rain is the worst. If you must drive, then have your traction cables handy (standard chains won't work on those 18" wheels).

And get used to putting them on before you leave. It isn't terribly hard once you figure it out. But you don't want to have to do this for the first time on the side of the road, when it is freezing cold, and probably dark.

Chances are, though, that, as long as the road is plowed, everything will be uneventful.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #23
CoupeMagic323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Does this guy work for ISO?

It gets to below 0F every winter here in Upstate NY never had to put that stuff in my fuel and my car is ALWAYS outside. The only case i could see it being a problem if you left the tank really low and let it sit over night or 24hrs. my 2c. but like he said its only 3 bucks guess why not........just wondering why dog loves it sooo much.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #24
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
My car had no problem making it through winter in central Missouri with no fuel additives. Our high temp from January to march was somewhere around 15 degrees.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #25
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
My car had no problem making it through winter in central Missouri with no fuel additives. Our high temp from January to march was somewhere around 15 degrees.
Columbia?
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Columbia?
Fort Leonard Wood.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #27
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
Well then, for the Fellahs who think buying a $3 dollar bottle of Iso is a bad idea to avert and curb the risk of getting standed, let's run through a few talking points here. In a debate, there are winners and losers; let's face it; it's great to win. There are a few Fellahs here who want to win this discussion for whatever their intention is, and what it boils down to is that it is based on the fact that they believe spending $3 dollars is flawed, wrongheaded and downright unreasonable to avert some possible bad outcome, risk avoidance in other words, that will affect your well being. If these fellahs win, you save a very measely grand sum of $3 dollars, but then, if your fuel line and exposed fuel filter becomes affected by the cold climes, OP, you lose and lose big. I'm sure, the Fellahs will be very happy if they win over $3 dollars, and if you are sure these Fellahs are 100% right and that they can predict the weather with 100% accuracy and certainty, by all means, save your $3 dollars. I'm sure, they have your best interest in mind over $3 dollars.

On the other hand, if you are unsure of others ability to be "trusted weather oracles" thereby ensuring your well being due to the weather, you being up at 6000+ foot elevation in the thick of winter, to hold so that the gas line and exposed fuel filter won't be affected, then I think you might find it reasonable to spend the grand and princely sum of $3.00 to ensure your well being is secured. In the end, what does it tell you about someone's character and intention when spending $3 dollars is a bad idea to secure your well being? OP, think about that good and hard and consider those underlying intentions and who gains and loses.
Dude, shut the **** up. Get off your high horse. I oughtta smack the **** out of you. I bet you have a lot of friends...not.

All I said is that it's not necessary, and it's not. You're just trying to scare the OP. Where is he going it is not a concern. Holy f*****. I have literally never heard of anybody having a problem with freezing gasoline. Like I said, OP is not on a mission to the North Pole.

By the way, most gas nowadays is 10% ethanol which is molecularly very similar to isoproyl alcohol. There is no need for it. You simply don't use logic.

Last edited by WDE46; 12-06-2012 at 07:19 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #28
sunsetcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
most gas nowadays is 10% ethanol which is molecularly very similar to isoproyl alcohol. There is no need for it.
Indeed. One of the reasons argued against E10 (or "gasohol", for those old enough to remember) when it was introduced was that the alcohol attracted water. Same thing is being said today about E15.

Bottom line, it's just the price of a cup of coffee. If it makes a driver feel better, adding a cup of isopropyl (ISO) or methanol (HEET) won't hurt anything. Objectively, though, it seems like overkill when the temps aren't likely to fall even to 0F.

Our winter car lives outside and temps in the 0F range aren't uncommon. That vehicle has never had a fuel-related problem. I did work in Alberta, CA, during one winter. Temps fell to the -40 range. Never added "dry gas" to any of the rental cars. Again, no problems.

The most likely cause for problems is buying gas that is contaminated with water. With tighter regulations, most modern (as in, since the late '80s), busy stations shouldn't have that problem. If this means buying from a busy station near a highway in an unfamiliar location, it might cost another 5 cents a gallon. Even if your tank was bone dry (not recommended in the winter, of course), the difference is less than a bottle of "dry gas".
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #29
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Buy good snow tires. That will be fine. If you're in a situation where you find you need chains, you simply brought the wrong car.
You need nothing else other than ice scraper and maybe a car bra if you so desire. Not really needed

Last edited by peytonracer4; 12-06-2012 at 10:42 AM.
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #30
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
op, lucky_doggg7 is correct.

carry tire chains when going to norcal. you probably wont need it but if there is a snow dump, authorities wont let you pass thru unless the chains are on the tires. there are tire chain install areas at both ends of mountain passes.

and put gas antifreeze in your gas tank.

you probably wont need those if the weather cooperates so check the weather forecast and act responsibly. but mother nature is cruel sometimes when you least expect it, and we know how them weather forecasts are damn accurate

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure !

Last edited by Hoebama; 12-06-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: sp
Hoebama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
TT330i

My Ride: 2003 330i
holy **** people like to beat things to death on here don't they? OP is probably back from his trip already...
TT330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #32
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT330i View Post
holy **** people like to beat things to death on here don't they? OP is probably back from his trip already...
Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #33
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
Just throwing this out there, so the guy from Southern California, who probably only sees temperatures below 50 degrees a couple times a year, says we need to buy some gasoline additive for 2 day trip in 20 degree weather.. I live in Ohio and two winters ago there was a couple weeks that barely got above 0F. I park outside. I never had a problem.

Only thing to keep in mind is that, possibly due to all the SoCal people who have no idea how to drive in snow, California from what I hear has mandatory chain laws on many mountain roads with checkpoints.

As far as washer fluid, etc etc dont worry about it unless you have your car serviced by a hobo you won't have anything in your car freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
Well then, for the Fellahs who think buying a $3 dollar bottle of Iso is a bad idea to avert and curb the risk of getting standed, let's run through a few talking points here. In a debate, there are winners and losers; let's face it; it's great to win. There are a few Fellahs here who want to win this discussion for whatever their intention is, and what it boils down to is that it is based on the fact that they believe spending $3 dollars is flawed, wrongheaded and downright unreasonable to avert some possible bad outcome, risk avoidance in other words, that will affect your well being. If these fellahs win, you save a very measely grand sum of $3 dollars, but then, if your fuel line and exposed fuel filter becomes affected by the cold climes, OP, you lose and lose big. I'm sure, the Fellahs will be very happy if they win over $3 dollars, and if you are sure these Fellahs are 100% right and that they can predict the weather with 100% accuracy and certainty, by all means, save your $3 dollars. I'm sure, they have your best interest in mind over $3 dollars.

On the other hand, if you are unsure of others ability to be "trusted weather oracles" thereby ensuring your well being due to the weather, you being up at 6000+ foot elevation in the thick of winter, to hold so that the gas line and exposed fuel filter won't be affected, then I think you might find it reasonable to spend the grand and princely sum of $3.00 to ensure your well being is secured. In the end, what does it tell you about someone's character and intention when spending $3 dollars is a bad idea to secure your well being? OP, think about that good and hard and consider those underlying intentions and who gains and loses.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #34
aikmanson

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Dude, shut the **** up. Get off your high horse. I oughtta smack the **** out of you. I bet you have a lot of friends...not.

All I said is that it's not necessary, and it's not. You're just trying to scare the OP. Where is he going it is not a concern. Holy f*****. I have literally never heard of anybody having a problem with freezing gasoline. Like I said, OP is not on a mission to the North Pole.

By the way, most gas nowadays is 10% ethanol which is molecularly very similar to isoproyl alcohol. There is no need for it. You simply don't use logic.
Lmao, this is exactly how I felt after reading this ****, I mean seriously, freezing gas... This isn't a diesel, this isn't the North Pole.
aikmanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog1394 View Post
Just throwing this out there, so the guy from Southern California, who probably only sees temperatures below 50 degrees a couple times a year, says we need to buy some gasoline additive for 2 day trip in 20 degree weather.. I live in Ohio and two winters ago there was a couple weeks that barely got above 0F. I park outside. I never had a problem.

Only thing to keep in mind is that, possibly due to all the SoCal people who have no idea how to drive in snow, California from what I hear has mandatory chain laws on many mountain roads with checkpoints.

As far as washer fluid, etc etc dont worry about it unless you have your car serviced by a hobo you won't have anything in your car freezing.
Have you ever drive through the Rockies? When it storms its not like around here. The chain laws are justified.
It ca get seriously bad seriously quick up there.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #36
sunsetcoast

Quote:
Where you and I live, just about all the windshield washer fluid that is sold, even in the summer, is rated to at least -20F. The OP lives in the Bay Area where the average winter low is mid 40s. There are months where our average "highs" are below that. I suspect that a lot of the windshield fluid sold there is the inexpensive stuff that is little more than water with blue dye that I call "summer" fluid. While this is unlikely to freeze in the tank at 20F, it might at the jets or upon contact with the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Have you ever drive through the Rockies? When it storms its not like around here. The chain laws are justified.
x2. On my first cross-country drive, we were treated to sleet and snow in Wyoming. This was in late June and it had been 90+ the day before in South Dakota! Ever since, I've carried traction cables whenever I drive in the Rockies or the Pacific Coast mountains. It's a no-brainer to have them in the winter.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
Where you and I live, just about all the windshield washer fluid that is sold, even in the summer, is rated to at least -20F. The OP lives in the Bay Area where the average winter low is mid 40s. There are months where our average "highs" are below that. I suspect that a lot of the windshield fluid sold there is the inexpensive stuff that is little more than water with blue dye that I call "summer" fluid. While this is unlikely to freeze in the tank at 20F, it might at the jets or upon contact with the windshield.
I've never seen washer fluid that doesn't have some sort of antifreeze in it.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #38
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
Quote:
I've never seen washer fluid that doesn't have some sort of antifreeze in it.
I would highly recommend replacing the washer fluid just to be safe. My E46 was a California car and the first winter that I had it, the washer promptly froze up. My E92 is a California car as well, and the local dealer here in Michigan filled the washer tank after the warning lamp came on. This was towards the end of summer, and guess, what - these guys are the most competent dealer I've had and they put summer grade washer in the car, Michigan and everything. A couple months later, when temperatures dropped, the washer froze and took the tank, seal and solenoid out. Everything was covered under warranty, and I had them fill the OE washer concentrate mixed per the OE dilution chart. Lesson is, using the wrong washer is a mistake even a competent person can make, and the resulting hassle is not worth it..

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #39
CoupeMagic323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
I would highly recommend replacing the washer fluid just to be safe. My E46 was a California car and the first winter that I had it, the washer promptly froze up. My E92 is a California car as well, and the local dealer here in Michigan filled the washer tank after the warning lamp came on. This was towards the end of summer, and guess, what - these guys are the most competent dealer I've had and they put summer grade washer in the car, Michigan and everything. A couple months later, when temperatures dropped, the washer froze and took the tank, seal and solenoid out. Everything was covered under warranty, and I had them fill the OE washer concentrate mixed per the OE dilution chart. Lesson is, using the wrong washer is a mistake even a competent person can make, and the resulting hassle is not worth it..

obviously not the most competent.

Last edited by CoupeMagic323ci; 12-06-2012 at 03:12 PM.
CoupeMagic323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
+1
I dont carry snow chains but they do a pretty good job on clearing the highways when it snows or they close it completely.
I made it from Aspen to Denver last february in blizzard like condition through the i70 stretch. Very tricky but was uneventful.
As long as you dont do anything stupid you will be fine. Be careful of the other drivers and keep distance. A teenager texting in her acura RDX is more dangerous than a RWD car. Heavier the car, more difficult to stop. Higher the car sits, more difficult it gets to control. Basic rules of physics.
Having good tires is a must, snow tires are the best bet.

Our cars and fluids available these days are very much capable of handling sub freezing temperatures. Winter blend gas, proper coolant, proper oil, windshield fluid topped up is all you need to worry about as far as fluids are concerned. These cars are designed to be driven in norway, why would you worry about driving it in california.

Now I am going to tell again, if the snow is touching your side skirts, be worried. Our cars have very low ground clearance. You get stuck easily once the snow is packed under the belly and the car just pivots on that compact snow. Nothing you can do about it.

While driving, a bit of common sense and a good distance from other cars is all you have to worry about.