E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #21
NC_Roots

My Ride: 02 330ci
Bringing it back to the top, great thread! had to do the 30 sec on/off with the key a couple of times, but the light is off for now! Thanks for the writeup.

NC_Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #22
Joeysauce

My Ride: E46 330ci
OK, question, and I can't find the answer. I've done the worst, I stripped the inside of the bolt and I have no clue how to get it out now. My sensor has been bad for 4 yrs now and I need to replace it. Anyone have an idea of how I can get the screw out now?? I was afraid I would had to remove a ton of stuff and actually have to drill it and use an easy out, but that's a ton of work. Any help would be nice!!

2001 330CI
MODS: H&R sport springs, 19" staggard M6 wheels, halo's, Cosmo CAI, Rouge IKON exhaust, M3 rep front bumper, Hamann side skirts, ACS rear add-on, M3 rear deck spoiler, clear signals, 6000k xenon and matching fogs, Meyle HD FCA/FCB, 20% window tint, LED rear tail lights.

-Un-decided possible Mods-

Matt-black kidney grills.
Joeysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #23
matfel

My Ride: bmw 323 ci
where to hook up obd scanner to check for engine problems

I have been told the place to hook up obd scanner on a 323 bmw 323ci is to the left of the steering column on the kick panel which needs to be removed to access the port by which to connect the obd scanner. Where is the kick panel?
does anyone have a pic as to where I hook it up.

thanks
Matfel
matfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #24
Syfon

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Thanks mate just followed your write-up and replaced the part in 10mins.

Cheers
Syfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #25
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Another thanks for the DIY here
Replaced mine on the weekend and was fairly straight forward, took less than 1/2 hour although it turned out that my problem was the intake sensor which I then replaced as well and to put it mildly was an absolute pr!ck in comaparison and took about 2.5 hours
Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
El Polo

My Ride: 99 black 328i
Gonna have to do it soon

Hi, thanks a lot for the DIY. Seems easy enough for me to give it a try.

One question though:
A search on ECS Tuning brought 3 results back. $33, $50 or $110 (OEM). I always try do go the OEM route but how do those two other parts compare? I mean... the price difference is huge!
Not that I want to be cheap but I am also planning a level 2 cooling system overhaul so it would be nice to save a bit... but in the end will saving today be worth it tomorrow?
El Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #27
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Polo View Post
Hi, thanks a lot for the DIY. Seems easy enough for me to give it a try.

One question though:
A search on ECS Tuning brought 3 results back. $33, $50 or $110 (OEM). I always try do go the OEM route but how do those two other parts compare? I mean... the price difference is huge!
Not that I want to be cheap but I am also planning a level 2 cooling system overhaul so it would be nice to save a bit... but in the end will saving today be worth it tomorrow?
I'd stick with OEM especially these sensors, it's certainly not something you'd want to have to do again any time soon and ceratinly not worth the risk just to save 60 or so dollars
Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #28
anhtu402

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325XI
I totally agree with Darkoz, I recently bought one from Advanced Auto Parts, supposedly I was told by a BMW mechanic from a BMW Dealership that the Beck/Arnley from Advanced Auto Parts should be the same one. I bought it for only $40 and replaced it. My first problem with this was that the o-ring was too small, which caused a leak right after I installed it. So I took it out again and used the old o-ring. Now the problem is that the CEL is still on with the same code for the CPS.

Lesson here for me (even though everyone tells you to do it - OEM) : Don't cheap out on OEM parts, especially electrical parts... I'm $40 under and still back at square one...

Sigh
anhtu402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
lulubboy

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
is there a part number for the 5mm bolt? I wanted to replace it. Prob will goto the hardware store and check it out too.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubboy View Post
is there a part number for the 5mm bolt? I wanted to replace it. Prob will goto the hardware store and check it out too.
Fillister-head screw, M6X16. BMW part # 13-62-7-545-338, less than $1.00.
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #31
lulubboy

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Cool your right - no need to remove fan and easy removal finally after breaking the seal.
I think I found my oil leak, coming from the ECS spot. Bought this off ebay about 6 months ago.. its works but guess its been leaking this whole time and I didn't check on it since my engine light went out.
-I' going to try a bigger o ring, if that doesnt work then I guess I have to go buy an OEM one.

Anybody know the cheapest site to order this unit with OEM o ring?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #32
Nike11

My Ride: 2000 328i
To install the bottom end of the CPS(Side without o-ring) i couldnt see the end of the chord from the engine bay. Do you have to connect it from the bottom of the car?
Nike11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #33
effay

My Ride: 323Ci
did this on the weekend took about 30min cause of the allen bolt position + locktite

thanks for writeup
effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #34
jskeets

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Thank you for the DIY, helped me out today while replacing my sensor in my 02' 330ci!

Cheers
jskeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #35
AJCheetah

My Ride: 2001 325i
HEY GUYS.....haha...So, I uh broke the bolt of when I was doing the exhaust side and the top of the bolt was on the wrenc and the rest of the bolt was in the hole where it was to be screwed in. What should I do? DO I need to get someone to drill out the bolt and then put in a new screw altogether? Will it leak if I drrive it around? If I put sealant around the edges to prevent leaking will that help? ts pretty snug in there so how much should I worry. Either way, I'd still be kinda skeptical to drive it around knowing that one bolt is missing somewhere in my engine.... Do I buy a new Engine lmao??!!??

PLEASE HELP!?!!?? :-/
AJCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cps, exhaust