E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
ATU2010

My Ride: Blacked 2004 ZHP
Any pro/minor league baseball players

Like title says looking for any members that are playing or have played pro ball in the past. Had a few questions about scouts and agents
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
I played college ball, was ranked in the top 400 in the nation, and scouted by many.

Shoot.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
I played until 3rd grade and then started lacrosse in 5th grade.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
ATU2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I played college ball, was ranked in the top 400 in the nation, and scouted by many.

Shoot.
See thats the problem didn't play college and turned down a D1 school offer (not any significant offer) due to some family issues. Now my question is how can you contact scouts? I plan on attending many, if not all the MILB/MLB tryouts this summer but from what I hear chance there are 1/1000. Looking to maybe get an opportunity to speak with scouts before tryouts... Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
CollinsE90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATU2010 View Post
See thats the problem didn't play college and turned down a D1 school offer (not any significant offer) due to some family issues. Now my question is how can you contact scouts? I plan on attending many, if not all the MILB/MLB tryouts this summer but from what I hear chance there are 1/1000. Looking to maybe get an opportunity to speak with scouts before tryouts... Any ideas?
You don't really have too many options, but there are some. You can do the tryouts, but there is a very little chance from what I understand. There is also the choice of playing in the Independent Leagues and hope to be picked up there. That's probably your best shot since they'll be able to watch you play multiple times rather than just one single tryout. Depending on how long ago you turned down the D1 offer, and if you ever started your time of college baseball, you could walk on to a local Juco and hope to get picked up after a year.

Independent League

http://americanassociationbaseball.com/

Last edited by CollinsE90; 12-06-2012 at 12:51 AM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
I didn't play basketball, but I did stay at a holiday in last night.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
ATU2010

Quote:
You don't really have too many options, but there are some. You can do the tryouts, but there is a very little chance from what I understand. There is also the choice of playing in the Independent Leagues and hope to be picked up there. That's probably your best shot since they'll be able to watch you play multiple times rather than just one single tryout. Depending on how long ago you turned down the D1 offer, and if you ever started your time of college baseball, you could walk on to a local Juco and hope to get picked up after a year.

Independent League

http://americanassociationbaseball.com/

Had a friend do the Independent League route until he had shoulder surgery. So you think odds would be better there vs getting signed to a minor team from the tryouts. From what I have read every organization attends the MILB/MLB tryouts and usually there are 15-20 tryouts... Maybe not instead but also attend independent try outs as well?
Am trying to avoid the juco route...
Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
ATU2010

Getting signed out of a juco kinda a common thing?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
CollinsE90

Quote:
Had a friend do the Independent League route until he had shoulder surgery. So you think odds would be better there vs getting signed to a minor team from the tryouts. From what I have read every organization attends the MILB/MLB tryouts and usually there are 15-20 tryouts... Maybe not instead but also attend independent try outs as well?
Am trying to avoid the juco route...
Quote:
Getting signed out of a juco kinda a common thing?
I've been told from a close friend of my dads that has two sons in the MLB, and one in the MiLB that they have kids touching 90 at the tryouts that played 4 years of SEC baseball that don't get picked up. I've always heard of it being tough. If you want my honest opinion, unless you're just a phenomena, if you don't play college ball or get drafted high in high school, the chances are so low it's not even worth it. To make it in the minors you need to be drafted high enough that they have money invested in you to ever get playing time. First rounders always get playing time, and they won't let you go even if you're not producing. If they don't have anything invested in you, they don't play you nor care to keep you.

If I were you, I'd play at least Juco and see your chances, and reevaluate.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #10
ATU2010

Quote:
I've been told from a close friend of my dads that has two sons in the MLB, and one in the MiLB that they have kids touching 90 at the tryouts that played 4 years of SEC baseball that don't get picked up. I've always heard of it being tough. If you want my honest opinion, unless you're just a phenomena, if you don't play college ball or get drafted high in high school, the chances are so low it's not even worth it. To make it in the minors you need to be drafted high enough that they have money invested in you to ever get playing time. First rounders always get playing time, and they won't let you go even if you're not producing. If they don't have anything invested in you, they don't play you nor care to keep you.

If I were you, I'd play at least Juco and see your chances, and reevaluate.
Well that you sir
Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #11
tylermaslanik

My Ride: 3 Pedal 323Ci
Quote:
You don't talk to scouts unless they want to talk to you. Haha. Don't go to the tryouts. Unless your a projected 4 or 5 tool player it's pretty much a joke and waste of time. Look at the list of jucos and try to go to the better ones. Scouts go there. They need to see you play. I have a bunch of friends that play in the MLB and a couple were drafted this same exact way. Orioles and pirates were looking at me in 2008 but I ended up hurting my shoulder at my juco and stopped playing. Send tape to the coaches and tell them your interested in playing. Oh and work your ass off anythings possible!
tylermaslanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
ATU2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermaslanik View Post
You don't talk to scouts unless they want to talk to you. Haha. Don't go to the tryouts. Unless your a projected 4 or 5 tool player it's pretty much a joke and waste of time. Look at the list of jucos and try to go to the better ones. Scouts go there. They need to see you play. I have a bunch of friends that play in the MLB and a couple were drafted this same exact way. Orioles and pirates were looking at me in 2008 but I ended up hurting my shoulder at my juco and stopped playing. Send tape to the coaches and tell them your interested in playing. Oh and work your ass off anythings possible!
So being signed from a juco isn't really that uncommon. I was under the impression scouts didn't look there much..
Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #13
tylermaslanik

Happens all the time. Look at the previous draft trackers online. Tons of guys come out of juco.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
ATU2010

Another question. Do shortstops get looked at over a second baseman since he could be considered more versatile and play both positions most likely or are your odds about the same at either middle infield position?

Last edited by ATU2010; 12-06-2012 at 02:18 AM.
ATU2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #15
tylermaslanik

They won't look at you as a shortstop or second baseman. Lol just as an infielder.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #16
ATU2010

Ahhh...gotchya
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #17
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
i bought my motorcycle from jeff Samardzija 's brother.
pitcher of the cubs.
sorry. this post is useless
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #18
ATU2010

Juco or independent league? Best chances of being seen I mean

Last edited by ATU2010; 12-06-2012 at 02:42 AM.
ATU2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #19
tylermaslanik

Good juco. Work your butt off. Try to play in the cape cod league or something like that during the summer too.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
CollinsE90

Quote:
Another question. Do shortstops get looked at over a second baseman since he could be considered more versatile and play both positions most likely or are your odds about the same at either middle infield position?
They don't care about position. They care about height, weight, velocity, 60 time, and hitting abilities. If you don't throw 90 across the diamond, run a sub 6.6, don't waste your time.