E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #41
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
The results of straps, smith machines, and other stuff that's too sissy for all the hardcore guys here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354803107.324735.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	481141  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #42
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
The results of straps, smith machines, and other stuff that's too sissy for all the hardcore guys here.

did you start out with straps though? or bring them in when the weight got serious?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #43
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post

did you start out with straps though? or bring them in when the weight got serious?
Yep. Started using them about 1-2 years after I started lifting, and have been lifting for ten years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #44
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Yep. Started using them about 1-2 years after I started lifting, and have been lifting for ten years now.
How is your grip strength if you were to not use them? Do you feel it is underdeveloped compared with everything else? Always been curious about development with vs without
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #45
ATU2010

My Ride: Blacked 2004 ZHP
Usually 50/50 split of these before/after lifting... After figuring them doesnt look like near enough protein...
Protein: 183g
Carbs: 126g
Fat: 71g

Never really kept with calories in the past two years...
Started using the straps after I cut my hand pretty badly about five months ago. Been using them since then. Usually only on shrugs, dead lift, pulldowns, bent over lifts.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #46
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATU2010 View Post
Usually 50/50 split of these before/after lifting... After figuring them doesnt look like near enough protein...
Protein: 183g
Carbs: 126g
Fat: 71g

Never really kept with calories in the past two years...
Started using the straps after I cut my hand pretty badly about five months ago. Been using them since then. Usually only on shrugs, dead lift, pulldowns, bent over lifts.
That's 2000 calories... not nearly enough of everything! (Thats your entire day correct)

I would recommend adding roughly 50g more protein (200 calories), 125g more carbs (500 calories), and 15g more fat (135 calories) at minimum on training days, for a total of 3000 calories. Have to give your body something to grow with!

Given your height/weight and with a low activity level (mostly weights) your maintenance is around 2500 calories... even more if you are doing any form of cardio!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #47
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
How is your grip strength if you were to not use them? Do you feel it is underdeveloped compared with everything else? Always been curious about development with vs without
I stopped using straps last year, I didn't have a weak grip before, but my grip seemed to have gotten a lot stronger, and my forearms grew a lot more. That's just me though. I definitely overused straps prior at times I didn't need them. dwass is a beast and can lift with all the sissy stuff he wants and get away with it.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #48
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Where are you guys getting these rediculous protein numbers from. Protein is good, but your body can only intake so much of it. From what I hear its 30g every hour

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 12-06-2012 at 12:55 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #49
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Where are you guys getting these rediculous protein numbers from. Protein is good, but your body can only intake so much of it. From what I hear its 30g every hour
Oh god. You were so good before this comment!

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 12-06-2012 at 01:04 PM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
dabears

Quote:
from leangains:

Quote:
5. Myth: Maintain a steady supply of amino acids by eating protein every 2-3 hours. The body can only absorb 30 grams of protein in one sitting.

Truth

Whenever you hear something really crazy you need to ask yourself if it makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's a great way to quickly determine if something may be valid or if it's more likely a steaming pile of horseshit. This myth is a great example of the latter. Do you think we would be here today if our bodies could only make use of 30 grams of protein per meal?

The simple truth is that more protein just takes a longer time to digest and be utilized. For some concrete numbers, digestion of a standard meal is still incomplete after five hours. Amino acids are still being released into your bloodstream and absorbed into muscles. You are still "anabolic." This is a fairly standard "Average Joe"-meal: 600 kcal, 75 g carbs, 37 g protein and 17 g fat. Best of all? This was after eating pizza, a refined food that should be quickly absorbed relatively speaking.

Think about this for a second. How long do you think a big steak, with double the protein intake of the above example, and a big pile of veggies would last you? More than 10 hours, that's for sure. Meal composition plays an important role in absorption speed, especially when it comes to amino acids. Type of protein, fiber, carbohydrates and prior meals eaten all affect how long you'll have amino acids released and being taken up by tissues after meals.
full article

makes sense to me (evolutionary perspective etc)... love that website. debunks a whole bunch of bs based on flawed studies. great article to read
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #51
BreakMyWallet

I understand a lot is said online but with everything taken in with protein I don't see how much more can be productive. I don't diet or log what I eat so I can careless, but please educate me on how 200g of protein a day is feasible
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #52
BreakMyWallet

Okay that's understandable. But the intake depends on how the food breaks down right? Anyone can say that they take in 200g of protein but steak and rice would compensate differently, right? So wouldn't it matter on where you are getting the protein?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #53
dabears

Quote:
I understand a lot is said online but with everything taken in with protein I don't see how much more can be productive. I don't diet or log what I eat so I can careless, but please educate me on how 200g of protein a day is feasible
I think its more balancing the equation... I know with myself if I didn't eat 200-250g of protein a day, to get the calories I need it would have to come from carbs or fat, or a mix of both. Protein is also very filling.

Doesn't really matter if its used to build muscle or just for energy, I'd rather a higher protein intake than a higher carb/fat intake personally.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #54
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
There is no exact number limit on what the body can take...it will use what it needs, it's not gonna be like "oh there's 30g, we're done here!" haha
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #55
dabears

Quote:
Okay that's understandable. But the intake depends on how the food breaks down right? Anyone can say that they take in 200g of protein but steak and rice would compensate differently, right? So wouldn't it matter on where you are getting the protein?
the only proteins I count towards my daily totals are animal proteins, milk & whey. Things like soy proteins, gluten etc I don't count, as they are incomplete and inefficient.

I'm sure you can imagine my grocery bill
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #56
BreakMyWallet

gotcha! thanks fellas
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #57
dabears

Quote:
gotcha! thanks fellas
given your posts in the eating thread, I think you'd be surprised if you added up your protein numbers any given day! I get 175-190 from two-three meals effortlessly, adding in two scoops of whey and it goes to around 250.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #58
ATU2010

Quote:
That's 2000 calories... not nearly enough of everything! (Thats your entire day correct)

I would recommend adding roughly 50g more protein (200 calories), 125g more carbs (500 calories), and 15g more fat (135 calories) at minimum on training days, for a total of 3000 calories. Have to give your body something to grow with!

Given your height/weight and with a low activity level (mostly weights) your maintenance is around 2500 calories... even more if you are doing any form of cardio!
Realizing I definitely left out some stuff. Prolly closer to about 40-50 more carbs and maybe 20 protein

As far as cardio goes I've been doing about 3 miles each day or 20-30 minute jog. Also pretty labor intensive job... Plus practicing ball
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #59
ATU2010

What about a bloated feeling? Maybe eat small portions more often?