E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
New Exhaust... Borla Midpipe with either SS Race vs. Rogue El Diablo?

Hi,

I am having a tough time making a decision... it's hard with just youtube clips and user reviews to go by.

I am upgrading my exhaust, I am interested in catback system, and I have read nothing but good reviews on borla midpipe for eliminating rasp & drone, so I am pretty confident in going with it.

I am looking for a deep, throaty, aggressive tone, however one that is not too loud for a daily driver.

My dilemma is whether to spend the $$ to go for the supersprint SS race exhaust, or save about $1000 and go with the El Diablo.

I use my M3 as my daily driver, and I don't track it (yet anyways). Obviously being a daily driver I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud everywhere I go, however from what I've read/heard with stock headers and the borla midpipe the SS Race shouldn't be too loud for daily street use.

The El Diablo seems to be more practical for daily use, however I'm not sure based on youtube clips that I like the sound.

Any opinions from guys who have either setup?

Thanks!
dabears

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
E46_M3Power

My Ride: 01 M3
I'd say wait for someone to sell a used SS muffler and jump on it, you'd save a little more by doing that and there's nothing wrong with a used one

Oh and if you want a deeper tone then I recommend catless headers.

Last edited by E46_M3Power; 07-20-2012 at 04:04 PM.
E46_M3Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Hi,

I am having a tough time making a decision... it's hard with just youtube clips and user reviews to go by.

I am upgrading my exhaust, I am interested in catback system, and I have read nothing but good reviews on borla midpipe for eliminating rasp & drone, so I am pretty confident in going with it.

I am looking for a deep, throaty, aggressive tone, however one that is not too loud for a daily driver.

My dilemma is whether to spend the $$ to go for the supersprint SS race exhaust, or save about $1000 and go with the El Diablo.

I use my M3 as my daily driver, and I don't track it (yet anyways). Obviously being a daily driver I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud everywhere I go, however from what I've read/heard with stock headers and the borla midpipe the SS Race shouldn't be too loud for daily street use.

The El Diablo seems to be more practical for daily use, however I'm not sure based on youtube clips that I like the sound.

Any opinions from guys who have either setup?

Thanks!
dabears
I have owned BOTH the Sprint AND the RE El Diablo coupled with the Borla V2 mid pipe.
The answer is easy.
I ran the Borla Mid/ RE combo for years and one day on a whim decided to try the SS Race. It sounded TERRIBLE with the Borla. The two are simply NOT compatible. I had it removed immediately and sold it.

IMO, the Borla Mid coupled with the RE El Diablo is hands down the sexiest, most exotic sounding exhaust combo for the M3. I had an 8200RPM redline tuned in so it screamed like an F1 car. The sound starts off as a low burble, very bass like then builds to a wail. Very Italian sounding. It sounds AS GOOD as SOME stock Ferraris I have heard....well maybe one or two. Ferraris are hard to beat for exhaust tone. But the M3 sounds REAL sweet.

I got the best results from removing the stock headers and running cat free with simple Ebay headers...300rwhp. My tuner leaned the mix out a little and it sounded a LOT louder and better. Only problem was a bit of drone.
There is no real drone issue with the stock headers intact. The exhaust will not annoy anyone with or with out cats. Hard acceleration brings out the best notes.
You will not find the combo too loud if you keep the cats. Its CAN be loud with out cats but ONLY when you jump on it.
There are only one or two sound bytes on youtube with the Borla mid/RE muffler combo. It sounds even better in real life.

Avoid the SS race at all costs unless you get rid of the Borla mid. The SS race is a totally different sound anyways...much more aggressive to the point of being annoying. Not refined in any way.`

The RE EL Diablo sounds MUCH better with the Borla mid than it does with the RE rasp pipe. The Borla V2 Mid is King IMO for eliminating rasp.

Last edited by Bdave; 07-21-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
^^^ that was probably the best answer.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
dabears

Well Bdave, I was hoping to get opinions from people who had either and then compare... and then you come in and just sell me completely on the borla/RE combo! Thanks a lot, I would take fanatics word over any youtube video since it's so hard to capture exhaust notes on video.

I also agree with the borla v2 mid comment, not having personal experience but it seems like that is the #1 consensus midpipe for eliminating drone/rasp.

I'm very excited that I can get the sound I want for a lot cheaper.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
You could always weld in an a AR20 for a lot less. It's does a great job with rasp.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
AlpinTXiX

My Ride: 03 M3
I've got the Borla/El Diablo set up on mine....absolutely love it! The Borla is great at killing rasp while sounding refined to, adding a slight throatiness which is amplified when combined with the El Diablo. I got my Borla used as being a midpipe, why care if it is all brand new and shiny or not? I did buy the El Diablo new for it is visible on the car and I'd rather have a good looking exhaust and pay some more than have one that is all scratched up (perfectionist here). Wish I had a clip I could post for you as most youtube videos do NOT do it justice.

As for DDability, it's great. Not too aggressive when you're not getting on it but it SCREAMS at WOT It compliments the M3 very well in character as it is not always in your face flashy and subtle but when you get on it, it turns into a monster. It has a nice deep sound to it around 3k in 2nd or 3rd and will open a bit if you take off a little quick in 1st. Overall, I'd highly recommend the Borla/El Diablo. Also drops 52 (IIRC) lbs off stock

Disclaimer: No experience with the SS
Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
steve bettencourt

My Ride: 2003 m3
the best thing to do is get into a e46 m3 club and listen to the different combos and desided for your self I have a 03 m and that what I am going to do I spoke to the tech at borla and he said their exhaust will fit with no adjustments next to the sound that just as important
steve bettencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #9
808elise

My Ride: OG E46 M3/AW E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
You could always weld in an a AR20 for a lot less. It's does a great job with rasp.
Dido. Stop wasting your money and time.
808elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
steve bettencourt

My Ride: 2003 m3
I was at bimmer cruse last sunday and heard the borla first hand and the sound is what I am looking for on the idle and low speed not loud but when you stand on it has a heavy growl
steve bettencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Visor328i

My Ride: rolls on VS-XX
I have just the El Diablo and you guys are making me want the Borla midpipe!!

I also have a non-resonnated Supersprint section 1 lying around, I wonder how those 3 would sound together.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
docuwize

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3 ZCP
Thanks guys

well Borla Midpipe on order after reading the thread. Rogue has a drone in 6th that is bothering me and everyone says Borla midpipe will fix it. I will let everyone know. Thanks
docuwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
dabears

I bought this setup finally!!! Being installed today! So excited! Lots of mods going on, will have a thread up
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
dabears

didn't realize have to re-use gasket & flange from stock muffler... good things its got about 10 years of degradation & rust. Boo
Old 04-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
empower82

My Ride: e46 M3
Agree with Bdave overall. You may want to check out Magnaflow mufflers as well; I have those and personally think it's one of the best sounding Ms...
empower82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
dabears

got the el diablo + borla going on my car right now. Had to wait for a flange & gasket to come in... and I'm not stoked on the midpipe fitment whatsoever, it is now the lowest (and first to make contact) with anything I would happen to drive over / hit a pothole etc. Haven't heard it yet, but definitely not impressed with the build quality / engineering... especially for something marketed as a "bolt-on".
Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
El diablo is a great sound for the dollar...so are Scorza and Borla..

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
dabears

such a huge fan of this sound, just got it back. my good god it sounds sexy. forget the clearance issues, this is an amazing exhaust besides that
Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
xsxpxhx

My Ride: 2002 M3
The PROBLEM HERE (if any) is if there is a problem checking for the smog check. Especially in California. Anyone have problems with that? Because Im thinking of getting it as well, but Californai is crazy with smog checks
xsxpxhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
gary442

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
I live in California. You are ok with smog checks as long as you don't screw with the cats......even using aftermarket cats in a different location will trigger a problem with the smog dudes. Bottom line is as long as you are south of the cats , you are good to go.
gary442 is offline   Reply With Quote