E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #81
Tiago

My Ride: M3 e46
I think that the 2nd version looks better, but i don't see the point of the outer strip vents besides the look factor and water entering spot. The car doesn't have any heat parts beneath it. IMHO, the heat is higher on the rear of the hood.

I made some rough modifications but i think that is enough to get the idea. This vents style enhances the hood bump look by starting lining with the front of the bump and going more backwards where the heat is more severe. It frees the hot air from the most critical area with the help of the air flow that comes in from the bumper and front hood grills. The vents doesn´t look so good because it is deformed from the zooming tool.

Sorry for my very poor photoshop skills. I tried my best.

ESS VT2-575 / AEM WMI / Supersprint Race System / 3.91 Diff / Stoptech ST60 and ST40 / Bilstein PSS9 / UUC Sways
CLICK HERE FOR PICS OF MY CAR
Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #82
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
I think that the 2nd version looks better, but i don't see the point of the outer strip vents besides the look factor and water entering spot. The car doesn't have any heat parts beneath it. IMHO, the heat is higher on the rear of the hood.

I made some rough modifications but i think that is enough to get the idea. This vents style enhances the hood bump look by starting lining with the front of the bump and going more backwards where the heat is more severe. It frees the hot air from the most critical area with the help of the air flow that comes in from the bumper and front hood grills. The vents doesn´t look so good because it is deformed from the zooming tool.

Thanks for your feedback and your time w/photoshop. Those changes you made do look mean. I'm wondering if others will like it due to it's more domestic look though.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #83
supersickbimmer

My Ride: 617rwhp M3
Quote:

This gets my vote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #84
95silverM

My Ride: 05' IB M3
Quote:

looks great...i like how the edges of where the vents start & end are radiused rather than sharp.

also love this hood made by ridox for the supra. If we could get a photoshopped pics utilizing a stock M3 hood and "powerdome" and fitting these vents on bothsides of the "powerdome," we'd have a winner:

sold&missed

S54 Block & Crank in hand ::evilface::

Teddy
Eurotechniks

Last edited by 95silverM; 12-06-2012 at 07:28 PM.
95silverM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #85
m3yal8r

My Ride: 2002 e46 M3
More stock power dome with the single row of vents as above would get my vote

2002 BMW M3 [/B]Titanium Silver Metallic / Black / 6 Speed

Mods:
Performance: ESS VT2 575+ FS Tuning Tech,
Agency Power Headers /Borla Header Back/Walbro 255
Suspension: Ground Control Street / School Coil-over 440/545 / AKG Motorsport Bushings all around
Wheels: Apex ARC-8's 18X9.5 18X8.5
Magic Powers: Radar-Mirror PLX Gauge set-up/
V1 radar detector / Laser Interceptor
m3yal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #86
m3816

Hey Chris,

I think it is great that you are looking to add a new option to the market I like to point out a few things. You should have two main hoods.

1.aggressive ( the guys that have wide body, or alot of exterior works)

2.mild (the guys with light mods, "clean look"
(not everyone will run it for function)

**Both hoods should have vents that allow for the rain to be directed away with a detachable piece of plastic, I am pretty sure Motorsport24 makes something similar.
**Also you should offer both hood with a slightly more aggressive dome, no more aggressive than e92 m3. OR Dome delete (aka down force style which you already presented.)
**You can run Dome or dome-less based on popular demand on your 1st group buy. The track guys will go dome-less and the street guys will go dome.

Don't be afraid to make a GTR copy. It is what people like, focus your companies great resources toward a better engineering of quality; and a better angle for heat disposal, in terms of the GTR vents.

I hope you do not take this in the wrong way as I am only trying to help this product gain market demand and a product that I can buy in the future.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5463343986_57fed9732e_b.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	481871   Click image for larger version

Name:	gts.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	481872  

Last edited by m3816; 12-12-2012 at 08:28 PM.
m3816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #87
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
^^^Those hoods are
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #88
Tiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3816 View Post
Don't be afraid to make a GTR copy.
IMO, the GTR hood was designed to let the S62 breath better in the E46 engine bay. Having a S54 engine and a GTR hood would make me feel like driving a 325i with M3 badge...

Also i don't see any advantage to go from the stock aluminium hood to CF hood. The weight gains are minimal and the risk of getting a open hood at speed is much more higher. That is why you see so many CF hoods with race locks.

Maybe HPF should consider to deliver the CF hoods with race locks included.

Pay attention at 0:25min

ESS VT2-575 / AEM WMI / Supersprint Race System / 3.91 Diff / Stoptech ST60 and ST40 / Bilstein PSS9 / UUC Sways
CLICK HERE FOR PICS OF MY CAR
Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #89
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
That was not funny...

Glad no one was injured (hopefully)
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #90
m3816

Quote:
IMO, the GTR hood was designed to let the S62 breath better in the E46 engine bay. Having a S54 engine and a GTR hood would make me feel like driving a 325i with M3 badge...
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But don't forget a GTR hood vents sit on top of stock airbox the same way that a gtr hood sits on top of S62 airbox. and Off-course the passenger side vent is just as beneficial since that's the hotter side of the engine bay.
m3816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #91
M3_Aaron

My Ride: E46 M3
The vents on the GTR extracted hot air from the radiator via sealed carbon ducting, they weren't really intake related.

Last edited by M3_Aaron; 12-26-2012 at 07:14 AM.
M3_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #92
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Quote:

just paint a birds body on the buldge and wala...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans_Am_hood.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	483507  
Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #93
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
LOL epic
Old 12-27-2012, 05:06 AM   #94
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
this thing sits under the gtr hood not a s62
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #95
mkodama

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Aaron View Post
The vents on the GTR extracted hot air from the radiator via sealed carbon ducting, they weren't really intake related.
Correct, the vents connected to sealed ducts that took air from the oil and water heat exchangers; nothing to do with intake, which ran between the two ducts to two required inlet restrictors, right behind the kidney grills.

Also, the engine was a P60B40, not an S62B50.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #96
JiMMyM3

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
The shaker hood is epic. Plus its the actual intake for carbed 6.6 pontiac 400s and olds 403s.
PS: trans ams were doing vented hoods and fender vents in the 70s.
JiMMyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #97
///M3_Letty

Quote:

I like this design but with shorter vents maybe something similar to the ASUKA vents. And the aggressive bulge has my vote as well.
///M3_Letty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #98
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Can we see it mocked up on the car from the front and sides?
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #99
E85head

Last edited by E85head; 12-29-2012 at 09:37 PM.
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #100
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Just think of all the sunglare you're gonna get off that god forsaken bulge...have fun with that. ^ GTR hood looks far better