E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
goodtohave

My Ride: 325iT
Yet another flywheel question!

I have done a lot of searching but don't know what to do.

It's a 2002 325it and it is time to do the clutch.

It has always felt like crap. I don't want an agressive clutch, it is just a daily driver but I want to get rid of the SAC and dual mass flywheel.

I am thinking if the UUC but have no use for the lightweight drawbacks.

I saw the Fidanza flywheel that allows me to put a 330 clutch, and it is heavier then the UUC , which I would prefer.

I just want the stock feel of my old E36.

I just can't see changng the clutch and keeping the 11 yr old higher mileage dual mass flywheel and a new LUK is $700.

Anyone done anything that feels better then stock?

Or is stock good and mine just always sucked? (I bought it used 5 yrs ago with 50k miles) would I be happy with a new LUK flywheel and clutch?

And by the way I removed the CDV years ago and put UUC red tranny mounts...

Thanks!

Last edited by goodtohave; 10-18-2012 at 10:20 PM.
goodtohave is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
UUC's flywheel is TOO light for street driving (in my opinion, anyway). Think about it... their flywheel only weighs 8 lbs. EIGHT. POUNDS. I've dropped turds that weigh more than that (figuratively speaking). I think I'll be going with the F1 Stage 1 clutch and 16 lb. flywheel combo from Gripforce. At $412, it's a bargain. They're supposedly a reputable brand as well. We'll see...
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
t96_grh

My Ride: e39 530
You can use any flywheel/clutch/pp/tob from an e36 such as from a 323 or 325. There is even a single-mass kit from Valeo (OEM on many cars).

I'm using an E36 M3 S52 flywheel/clutch package on a 530.
t96_grh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
donoharm

My Ride: e46 323 ci 99'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
UUC's flywheel is TOO light for street driving (in my opinion, anyway). Think about it... their flywheel only weighs 8 lbs. EIGHT. POUNDS. I've dropped turds that weigh more than that (figuratively speaking). I think I'll be going with the F1 Stage 1 clutch and 16 lb. flywheel combo from Gripforce. At $412, it's a bargain. They're supposedly a reputable brand as well. We'll see...
I know it may be too late for the OP but I have the UUC kit with light fw and organic m5 clutch, it feels exactly like stock, there is a bit of rattle but only at idle and not all the time... you need to have your window down and radio off to hear anything.
donoharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
UUC's flywheel is TOO light for street driving (in my opinion, anyway). Think about it... their flywheel only weighs 8 lbs. EIGHT. POUNDS.
Complete understanding of the UUC Stage 2 / M5 clutch conversion package is extremely important here... directly from our website:
Tipping the scales at only 8.5lbs, this aluminum flywheel boasts the best features in its class (high-speed balanced, correct dowel hole, replaceable friction surface, Made In USA quality) , but is designed to use the clutch disk, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing from the 3.6 liter E34 M5. The total weight of the M5 clutch disk and pressure plate combo is greater than that of a stock E46 3-series clutch, so we have reduced the Stage2 flywheel weight to achieve an overall rotating mass that is essentially identical to a typical 11.5lb lightweight flywheel that utilizes a standard E46 clutch.
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/light...dels-p285.aspx

Driveability of this package is very easy, nothing tricky or special... just more performance! While a 16.9lb flywheel still gives a tiny boost in performance, you're leaving quite a bit on the table by not shaving that additional 5lbs. 5lbs of rotating mass, calculated as moment of inertia, is significant!

To have an understanding of the advantages of reducing rotating mass, please see:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/uuc/a...-HOW-WORKS.htm

Hope that helps!

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoharm View Post
I know it may be too late for the OP but I have the UUC kit with light fw and organic m5 clutch, it feels exactly like stock, there is a bit of rattle but only at idle and not all the time... you need to have your window down and radio off to hear anything.
Cause and remedy:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/uuc/a...ear_rattle.htm

-[ CLICK HERE ]
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks View Post
Complete understanding of the UUC Stage 2 / M5 clutch conversion package is extremely important here... directly from our website:
Tipping the scales at only 8.5lbs, this aluminum flywheel boasts the best features in its class (high-speed balanced, correct dowel hole, replaceable friction surface, Made In USA quality) , but is designed to use the clutch disk, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing from the 3.6 liter E34 M5. The total weight of the M5 clutch disk and pressure plate combo is greater than that of a stock E46 3-series clutch, so we have reduced the Stage2 flywheel weight to achieve an overall rotating mass that is essentially identical to a typical 11.5lb lightweight flywheel that utilizes a standard E46 clutch.
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/light...dels-p285.aspx

Driveability of this package is very easy, nothing tricky or special... just more performance! While a 16.9lb flywheel still gives a tiny boost in performance, you're leaving quite a bit on the table by not shaving that additional 5lbs. 5lbs of rotating mass, calculated as moment of inertia, is significant!

To have an understanding of the advantages of reducing rotating mass, please see:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/uuc/a...-HOW-WORKS.htm

Hope that helps!
My biggest concern is ease of drivability. I'm considering the Gripforce package due to the value over OEM. The only thing that scares me, though, is the issue with engine harmonics being upset and rattling the oil pump nut loose (accessing it to wire it up is a ridiculous job from what I've heard), so I may just go OEM and keep it safe.

On another note, UUC, your SSK (paired with the DSSR) is still as fantastic as the day I installed it.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
My biggest concern is ease of drivability.
Not a concern with the UUC setup. Some say (and I agree) that it is easier to drive than dealing with the heavy OEM dual mass flywheel.

Quote:
The only thing that scares me, though, is the issue with engine harmonics being upset and rattling the oil pump nut loose (accessing it to wire it up is a ridiculous job from what I've heard), so I may just go OEM and keep it safe.
In all reality, that's an issue regardless of what flywheel you're using. As long as you have not removed the front-mounted harmonic damper, there isn't a change in engine harmonics that affects that problem.

Quote:
On another note, UUC, your SSK (paired with the DSSR) is still as fantastic as the day I installed it.
Thank you!

-[ CLICK HERE ]
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
alexxander.foster

My Ride: 2000 323i
+1 for the Valeo kit. I also wasn't "in the mood" for the drawbacks of a lightweight flywheel (much less the increased pedal resistance from a stronger pressure plate). Plus I've always hated the dual mass flywheel.

I normally keep my opinions to myself on these types of threads but I'm really impressed with the feel and performance of the Valeo kit.
alexxander.foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Knock it off. If you cannot post without insulting, insinuating or jabbing at another member, then don't post.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
alexxander.foster

My Ride: 2000 323i
Sorry tim330i. You're right, it wasn't cool.
alexxander.foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtohave View Post

I just want the stock feel of my old E36.
E36s IIRC have dual mass flywheels but non-self adjusting clutches... so if you want it to feel like an E36, wouldn't it stand to reason that using parts similar to the E36 would accomplish that?

I would think perhaps keeping the stock flywheel and using an E36 clutch kit might do the trick.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
SPDSKTR

Quote:
In all reality, that's an issue regardless of what flywheel you're using. As long as you have not removed the front-mounted harmonic damper, there isn't a change in engine harmonics that affects that problem.
I know it could be an issue with an OEM flywheel, but only if the driver is consistently taking (and sustaining) higher RPM (which is something I don't do). Am I just being TOO paranoid about it? I really DON'T want to tear everything apart for the oil pump nut (hell of a job, especially on my car).

Quote:
Thank you!
You're quite welcome. Some people say it was a bit too notchy for their tastes, but I love it.

On another note: Are there any videos of E46 performance clutch and lightweight flywheel setups out there? I've seen them for Porsche and Mazda RX-8's, but that's about it...