E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
gcipriani

My Ride: 2000 323i Sport-Prem
Coolant (over)fill?

Just followed this DIY to change my coolant... http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_coolant_change.shtml

Very good DIY, excelent pics, good write up. Highly recommended.

To finish the job I Refilled the system, as instructed, adding coolant until it begins to come out of the bleeder valve opening, free of bubbles. Drove around a while, checked the level, it appeared topped off (no need - yet - to add any additional coolant.) So here is my question...

Is it possible to overfill to coolant systemt? Searched the forum, but could not find a definitive answer. If I did add too much coolant, will this be a problem? Will too much pressure build up in the system or will it "overflow" to allow access coolant to escape, and hence, not over pressure the coolant system. I am guess I am concerned that if there were too much pressure in the system this could result in a blown head gasket or something.

Appreciate any insight on this...

gcipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:55 AM   #2
Solid

My Ride: `07 335i Sedan
Send a message via ICQ to Solid Send a message via AIM to Solid Send a message via MSN to Solid Send a message via Yahoo to Solid
The Bentley manual states nothing about damage if you overfill coolant, but it DOES for oil. So you should be ok if you overfill the coolant . As a note i nearly topped off my coolant before and have had 0 problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcipriani
Just followed this DIY to change my coolant... http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_coolant_change.shtml

Very good DIY, excelent pics, good write up. Highly recommended.

To finish the job I Refilled the system, as instructed, adding coolant until it begins to come out of the bleeder valve opening, free of bubbles. Drove around a while, checked the level, it appeared topped off (no need - yet - to add any additional coolant.) So here is my question...

Is it possible to overfill to coolant systemt? Searched the forum, but could not find a definitive answer. If I did add too much coolant, will this be a problem? Will too much pressure build up in the system or will it "overflow" to allow access coolant to escape, and hence, not over pressure the coolant system. I am guess I am concerned that if there were too much pressure in the system this could result in a blown head gasket or something.

Appreciate any insight on this...

Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
gcipriani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid
The Bentley manual states nothing about damage if you overfill coolant, but it DOES for oil. So you should be ok if you overfill the coolant . As a note i nearly topped off my coolant before and have had 0 problems.
Thanks for the reply. Clicked through to the link on your car - sweet ride! Tell me more about your ipod set up - links would be helpful... what did you use to hook into your head unit?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
JM8571

My Ride: 2002 325i
Would it boil or flow out of the radiator cap? The system pressurizes and expands at driving temperatures. It may make a mess, and steam up the engine compartment, but I don't think it'll hurt anything.

Exploring the space with my cowbell!
JM8571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
An over filled coolant system will push coolant out the cap and any overflow tube attached to the reservoir at the filler cap neck. It will do no harm to the car.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #6
gcipriani

Thanks for all your replies on this.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:05 PM   #7
///Mechanic

My Ride: None currently
It is basically impossible to overfill your coolant level.
///Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
kalakuta1

My Ride: 323i
Blue smoke coming from the engine compartment as a result of a leak in the coolant resevoir....what does that mean? This question goes to the gurus on this board. My car is at BMW right now and i am just awaiting a prognosis on it.
kalakuta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
Zamorskii

My Ride: 1991 M5
I don't know if that is related to coolant overfill, which I think it does, but yesterday my expansion tank cracked, and all the fluid ran away.
$75 flatbed + $86 for the tank + $22 for a galon of coolant = $183 in out of the blue expenses,
so watch your coolant level on hot days boys.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #10
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
I did a complete cooling system flush (plus change the theromstats + water pump).

I accidently overfilled my coolant to the very top of the expansion tank/reservoir in Northern California. I drove my car NON-STOP from N CA to Central Texas and nothing happened to my car. My engine compartment by the reservoir/intake area was a little messy with "white water stains." I guess the coolant couldn't expand so it just leaked out of the cap and was gushing everywhere.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
bassoutwest

My Ride: 2005 330Ci
you can do damage...

You can do damage to your car by overfilling the expansion tank. The cap has a pressure release valve on it but as pressure is released it causes a sudden drop in coolant pressure resulting in flash boiling of the coolant. This can cause so much air to rapidly build causing the water pump to be less ineficient and thus a sudden overheating of the engine.

For those of you who have had your engine overheat will know that it is already overheating before the temp dial begins to advance...It happens in seconds hardly any time for you to react. May lead to a waped engine head, scoring of the cylinder walls and its not a cheap fix.

It happened to me although my issue was due to a blown cap seal...fortunatly I had time to react before major damage was done. Not worth it dont tempt it.
bassoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoutwest View Post
You can do damage to your car by overfilling the expansion tank. The cap has a pressure release valve on it but as pressure is released it causes a sudden drop in coolant pressure resulting in flash boiling of the coolant. This can cause so much air to rapidly build causing the water pump to be less ineficient and thus a sudden overheating of the engine.

For those of you who have had your engine overheat will know that it is already overheating before the temp dial begins to advance...It happens in seconds hardly any time for you to react. May lead to a waped engine head, scoring of the cylinder walls and its not a cheap fix.

It happened to me although my issue was due to a blown cap seal...fortunatly I had time to react before major damage was done. Not worth it dont tempt it.
You're talking about a malfunctioning cap, apples and oranges compared to what was discussed here.
7xWDC-MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Ok, so nobody has mentioned that there is a float, and you check the level when the car is cold/kalt.
The tip of the float at Maximum should be flush with the rim of the filler, if it has gone beyond that, just use a turkey baster, and suck out I believe 6-7 full baster tubes, regardless check it as you're doing this and you will be sitting at the proper level, and this won't even be something you will need to worry about.

If you overfill your ET, you're risking blowing, or at the very least prematurely stressing the plastic seams of your ET.

BMW put the float there for a reason, and that is to determine the proper level.

Also if your ET is old, be careful not to put too much pressure on the float stick with the turkey baster, as the float does get brittle with age and could break.

Good Luck

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 12-05-2012 at 08:30 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
/ withdrawn.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 12-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote