E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
I think BreakMyWallet is still going down that path?

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Let me ask a stupid question. What's your back up plan?
Even if you defy the odds, get signed to a minor league deal based on a tryout, and manage to muscle your way past all those first rounders and get to the majors.
You play some and kinda bounce back and forth between the majors and AAA, like RA Dickey without the Cinderella story.
In this absolute best case scenario, you're a 33-year old retired baseball player. You can't buy an M3 on your memories.
A more probable scenario is that this happens at age 24.

Here's my question. Is there any way you can leverage your baseball ability into a scholarship at a four-year college where you might end up getting drafted, but if you don't, you've got a chance at a career?
If that's not an immediate option, you might think about JuCo with as much of an eye towards a scholarship as a baseball career.
Just my $.02, but I've covered major league baseball for a very long time--I watched Derek Jeter as a rookie--and I know that even long careers are frighteningly short.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Good luck man I grew up with some very talented baseball players and its tough... You REALLY have to stand out.
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Duh, move to the Dominican Republic.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #25
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Talk to BreakMyWallet.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
ATU2010

My Ride: Blacked 2004 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
Let me ask a stupid question. What's your back up plan?
Even if you defy the odds, get signed to a minor league deal based on a tryout, and manage to muscle your way past all those first rounders and get to the majors.
You play some and kinda bounce back and forth between the majors and AAA, like RA Dickey without the Cinderella story.
In this absolute best case scenario, you're a 33-year old retired baseball player. You can't buy an M3 on your memories.
A more probable scenario is that this happens at age 24.

Here's my question. Is there any way you can leverage your baseball ability into a scholarship at a four-year college where you might end up getting drafted, but if you don't, you've got a chance at a career?
If that's not an immediate option, you might think about JuCo with as much of an eye towards a scholarship as a baseball career.
Just my $.02, but I've covered major league baseball for a very long time--I watched Derek Jeter as a rookie--and I know that even long careers are frighteningly short.
Well since I didn't play when I was attending college I strictly went to class. I only lack about two semesters for a Poultry Science BA ($50-$70k starting). Tho not going to lie. I hate school. If it was acceptable to not go in my family I wouldn't have. If baseball does fall through I will either go back and finish my degree in a few short years or look into some different automotive schools (Wyotech and Nashville). I won't be some drunk who tried and failed then went no where in life. But I have the opportunity and the time to persue this for a while and figure if its worth doing then I'm not going to do it half ass

And it's not about the money at all. If it were I would get my phd in poultry science or petroleum engineer. Even of its $800 a month with a minor league team I will make it work... I've been real broke before. Won't be the first time

Last edited by ATU2010; 12-06-2012 at 03:44 PM.
ATU2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #27
ATU2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Talk to BreakMyWallet.
Will send him a pm as soon as I'm at my computer. Thank man. Prolly going to send you one as well tho, have a few lifting questions
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #28
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
A buddy of mine coached Mike Trout in HS, and has coached a lot of pay for play teams in some elite leagues, just going off of what he has told me, a major league talent is 1 in millions, a talent like Trout is one in infinity. Like many have said here, if you aren't already on your way to some type of pro contract by now, start looking into something else.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #29
ATU2010

Feel like everyone thinks I'm referring to MLB which isn't the case at all. Can be A, AA, AAA. Even an independent league tho am trying to avoid that as of now. Mainly just looking for anyone with experience in any of these...

Figured would be a few minor league guys on here at least...
Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #30
andrewrossnagel

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
Duh, move to the Dominican Republic.
came here to say this, plus a forged bitch certificate
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
andrewrossnagel

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATU2010 View Post

why would you think a car website featuring a car model that is 13 years old would have all star athletes like a baseball player browsing forums?
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #32
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
one of my best friends uncles in a scout for the cardinals.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #33
ATU2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrossnagel View Post
why would you think a car website featuring a car model that is 13 years old would have all star athletes like a baseball player browsing forums?
Wasn't expecting Bonds or Jeter...

Because I make more than some minor league players. Independent league salary ranges from $800-2000 a month..... Anyways was just curious of some questions I had

Last edited by ATU2010; 12-06-2012 at 04:31 PM.
ATU2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #34
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Ummmm, because minor leaguer's are still just regular Joe Schmoes. Big name MotoGP riders browse bullsh|t sites like Crash.net (..and occasionally talk sh|t about Crash on their Twitter accounts), so why is it unfathomable for a minor or major leaguer to browse a car forum???

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-06-2012 at 04:34 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #35
ATU2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Ummmm, because minor leaguer's are still just regular Joe Schmoes. Big name MotoGP riders browse bullsh|t sites like Crash.net, so why is it unfathomable for a minor or major leaguer to browse a car forum???
Thank you! He got what I meant!!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
Quote:
If you've hung around here long enough, you'll know that you can ask any type of question and find someone who knows something valuable. Sure you may have to weed through some stupid posts, but there is someone.

In this case, he's gotten good responses from a couple of people and the name of someone doing what he's looking into.

This may be about an ancient car, but the forum is still really active with a super wide collection of folks.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #37
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Feel like everyone thinks I'm referring to MLB which isn't the case at all. Can be A, AA, AAA. Even an independent league tho am trying to avoid that as of now. Mainly just looking for anyone with experience in any of these...

Bud Selig himself won't have any more info for you than I just gave. I was offered 3 small scholarships to D1, and heavily ranked, and I now have zero chance of making it. There's no harm in trying, but the truth is there's pretty much zero shot. Not to mention living with 4 guys in a hotel room, getting paid nothing, and never playing.

They hold public tryouts just to please the public, they have zero intent to pick someone up unless they're just a phenomena.

I've been exactly where you are, trust me.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 12-06-2012 at 04:40 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #38
eee4666

My Ride: '02 325i / '07 600RR
Quote:

Tony Kanaan posts on m3forum. Kerry Getz posts here once in a blue moon.

Last edited by eee4666; 12-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.
eee4666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #39
ATU2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Bud Selig himself won't have any more info for you than I just gave. I was offered 3 small scholarships to D1, and heavily ranked, and I now have zero chance of making it. There's no harm in trying, but the truth is there's pretty much zero shot. Not to mention living with 4 guys in a hotel room, getting paid nothing, and never playing.

They hold public tryouts just to please the public, they have zero intent to pick someone up unless they're just a phenomena.

I've been exactly where you are, trust me.
Not meaning to question you experience at all man. Just looking for knowledgable people. You play independent or know anyone that did? Sounds about the same as playing on a men's league locally just with traveling...?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #40
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Not meaning to question you experience at all man. Just looking for knowledgable people. You play independent or know anyone that did? Sounds about the same as playing on a men's league locally just with traveling...?
My old shortstop plays independent, have at least a dozen old teammates in the minors. Some first rounders, some 40 rounders. I've talked with all of them when I was going to go back. That was 6 months after I quit playing for the #1 Juco in my state. Long story short, I wanted D1 and a pro team wanted me to play one year and gain weight, and they would pick me up. I quit at the end of the season, had enough.