E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Nurse in Kate Middleton hoax dies

I so despise terrestrial radio DJs and their puerile, juvenile antics, perhaps this won't stop them, but then again...

London (CNN) -- An employee at the hospital that was duped by a prank call from two Australian radio DJs concerning Prince William's pregnant wife, Catherine, has apparently committed suicide, the hospital confirmed Friday.

The employee, a member of the nursing staff, "was recently the victim of a hoax call," King Edward VII Hospital said in a media statement.

The DJs impersonated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles in the prank call, in which some details of the Duchess of Cambridge's condition and care were given.

Audio of the call posted online suggested a receptionist spoke briefly to the DJs, who host a show for the 2Day FM radio station in Sydney, before the call was put through to a nurse.

The hospital said Wednesday that it deeply regretted the call had been put through early Tuesday morning.

The nurse found dead was the one who first received the prank call and transferred it to the duchess's ward. Her family has been contacted, the hospital said.

The radio show apologized for the call Wednesday, saying it "was done with light-hearted intentions."

The Duchess of Cambridge was discharged from the hospital Thursday after treatment for acute morning sickness.

Last edited by BoogetyBoogety; 12-07-2012 at 10:08 AM.
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Wow she must of felt like she let the country down or something. SO sad.

edit: and after reading it again ..kind of dumb at the same time.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 12-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
buy bye radio station. you are about to get sued into the stone age.

if the nurse had done her job and not put the call through this could have all been avoided.

rip
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
buy bye radio station. you are about to get sued into the stone age.

if the nurse had done her job and not put the call through this could have all been avoided.

rip
What's going to happen to the radio station, which is in another country? They most likely run a disclaimer that the personalities' actions and opinions don't reflect that of the radio station itself.

Very sad and I assume she was being laid off for the way she handled the call. BUT, we do not know the whole story. She have have had other things going on in her life.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
actually, i'm wondering if she even did anything wrong. whenever there is an accident in the paper they always release the condition of those involved, so i assume a newspaper or anyone can call a hospital and inquire about the condition of any patient.
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Notice that the article does not make a correlation between the call and the motive behind the suicide. For all we know she was a disturbed person to begin with.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
If that's what put her over the edge then she was unstable to begin with and probably was looking for another reason to follow through.
I really don't see the big deal anyway. I heard the call on a local morning show and it isn't like they revealed anything much anyway.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
suicide? sure...Wouldnt be surprised if she was assassinated. Conspiracy theory!!!
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Damn...that's a bit sad. But suicide is quite an extreme for this, the news would come out eventually...she very well might have had a per-existing condition.

And what will they be doing to as Australian radio station?! It's already on an island full of convicts as far as England is concerned.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Notice that the article does not make a correlation between the call and the motive behind the suicide. For all we know she was a disturbed person to begin with.
Exactly

Lets not jump to conclusions here.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
actually, i'm wondering if she even did anything wrong. whenever there is an accident in the paper they always release the condition of those involved, so i assume a newspaper or anyone can call a hospital and inquire about the condition of any patient.
No. Patient confidentiality requires details of their medical condition be kept private.

If you notice those articles, the patients are often not identified when their condition is stated, or its put in the most generic terms. "Three people were treated and released, one is in critical condition."

Your medical state is no one's business but your own. In the case of public figures, it's often a dance between how much info their spokespeople release (or authorize the hospital to release) vs how much they keep private.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
In a hospital long favored by the Royals and other luminaries as a result of their legendary discretion, the pressure on the Nurse to explain her actions must have been intense, and the shame palpable. Agreed that the reaction by the Nurse was extreme (a permanent solution to a temporary issue), but still, the worldwide derision she must have felt obviously weighed heavily on her. Now, maybe if the DJs went ahead and offed themselves, all would be right with the world...

Last edited by BoogetyBoogety; 12-07-2012 at 10:53 AM.
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Carskibum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
No. Patient confidentiality requires details of their medical condition be kept private.

If you notice those articles, the patients are often not identified when their condition is stated, or its put in the most generic terms. "Three people were treated and released, one is in critical condition."

Your medical state is no one's business but your own. In the case of public figures, it's often a dance between how much info their spokespeople release (or authorize the hospital to release) vs how much they keep private.
Bingo. In previous articles the administrators of the hospital were appalled at the way she handled the call. Here in states, unless the Dr or Rn is calling a number the patient provided for follow-up, they must ask for specifics before providing even simple information (DoB, Address, etc).
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Surely some crime was committed here that the DJs should be charged with.

It's should have never aired on the radio without the nurses consent either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
Carskibum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post

Maybe, but last I checked, Australia doesn't fly the British flag anymore so that would be pretty difficult.

I would say the gravest crime was ignoring patient confidentiality. BUT, from what I've read this was the receptionist type person who killed herself. The nurse, who the call was transferred to, ignored the rights of the patient and should face prosecution and expulsion.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Sucks, but was it forseeable by a reasonable person that the nurse would have committed suicide over this? I think not. Hell, she wasn't even the one who gave them the information; she merely transferred the call through.

I don't buy it...stupid prank, but not malicious and to impute liability for her death on them is pushing it way beyond reasonableness for me

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Last edited by david05111; 12-07-2012 at 11:33 AM.
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Quote:

Could be coincidental

What about personal responsibility?

Really killing one self over a celebrity ?

I've heard u misuse Darwin

Why isn't this one of those misuses?

Quote:
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Could be coincidental

What about personal responsibility?

Really killing one self over a celebrity ?

I've heard u misuse Darwin

Why isn't this one of those misuses?
I've seen you repeatedly misspell "You"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
The sexual tension between you two loverbirds is palpable.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Born Again

Quote:
I've seen you repeatedly misspell "You"
I'm on my iPhone

It's okay to abbreviate

Quote: