E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 3.93 average.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #721
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Why does this sticky tell people to replace certain parts blindly or based on mileage instead of doing a proper diagnosis? Like belts, bearings, and thermostats for example? It's a pretty wasteful use of money and time prematurely replacing those parts...
So, how do you diagnose a water pump, wait until you hear it scream? What if it dies before it screams? Thermostats fail open, so you can run them to failure. However, you might as well replace it when replacing the water pump, since you're that deep into the engine.

Expansion tanks are notorious for cracking the length of the tank with no apparent warning. I suppose you have a strain gage attached to yours so that you will be warned of impending failure. How much did that cost?

Belts, you can see, so periodic visual inspection is okay. I just like to do it all at once and not worry about it until the next inspection interval, which is the subject of another debate.

It's a balance. Figure out the interval that you can live with, then replace the other components under the "while I'm at it, might as well...." category.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #722
Rattlsnak

My Ride: E46 328CI / e36 M3
Well, my radiator started leaking a few days ago. The typical hairline crack near the upper hose connection. I replaced it and the expansion tank only. I got @88k on it. When it gets to 100k, I'll probably splurge for a pump and t-stat as preventative.
Rattlsnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #723
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
So, how do you diagnose a water pump, wait until you hear it scream?If you have no engine cooling problems, check for leaks and bearing play. If there is a leak, determine if it can be repaired, and if not, or excessive bearing play, replace it. What if it dies before it screams? Thermostats fail open, so you can run them to failure.If you follow your car's service booklet, during inspection 1 you read engine diagnostics, and a faulty thermostat will give you a message about how the engine is taking too long to reach operating temperature. If you are getting this message, replace the thermostat. However, you might as well replace it when replacing the water pump, since you're that deep into the engine. That's not very deep into the engine. Fan shroud and fan off, takes about 15 minutes.

Expansion tanks are notorious for cracking the length of the tank with no apparent warning. I suppose you have a strain gage attached to yours so that you will be warned of impending failure. How much did that cost?

Belts, you can see, so periodic visual inspection is okay. I just like to do it all at once and not worry about it until the next inspection interval, which is the subject of another debate.

It's a balance. Figure out the interval that you can live with, then replace the other components under the "while I'm at it, might as well...." category.
Answers included above.

You just inspect everything to make sure it's operating as it should. If it's failing, showing signs of failure, or it's near or past BMW's recommended service interval, replace it. Some parts will randomly fail, and you just replace them when they do.

BMW doesn't list "replace the entire cooling system when you feel like it" in their service booklet for a reason; you don't need to.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #724
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
BMW doesn't list "replace the entire cooling system when you feel like it" in their service booklet for a reason; you don't need to.
Without disagreeing with any of your conclusions, let's get real. BMW does not list 'reinforce rear subchassis mounting points by dropping entire rear end out and welding in Turner Motorsports steel plate kit' either. Nor 'replace window regulators regularly' because we refuse to redesign a deficiently engineered part.
Certain design mistakes or weaknesses are not going to be incorporated into the official TSB catalog.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #725
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Without disagreeing with any of your conclusions, let's get real. BMW does not list 'reinforce rear subchassis mounting points by dropping entire rear end out and welding in Turner Motorsports steel plate kit' either. Nor 'replace window regulators regularly' because we refuse to redesign a deficiently engineered part.
Certain design mistakes or weaknesses are not going to be incorporated into the official TSB catalog.
But BMW does have a whole procedure for reinforcing the rear subframe mounting points. One procedure if damage is minimal, another if damage is extensive. This was incorporated like 10 years after the creation of the E46.

If you think window regulators fail only on E46s, you'd be mistaken. Also considering window regulators go probably 10 years between failures, I really wouldn't worry about them much. When it does fail, BMW has a procedure for replacing it, just like every other part.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #726
Stinger9

Quote:
But BMW does have a whole procedure for reinforcing the rear subframe mounting points. One procedure if damage is minimal, another if damage is extensive. This was incorporated like 10 years after the creation of the E46.
You said it all! They fought like the devil to avoid responsibility for this fail for years. Tried very hard to sidestep paying for these.

If you think window regulators fail only on E46s, you'd be mistaken. Also considering window regulators go probably 10 years between failures, I really wouldn't worry about them much. When it does fail, BMW has a procedure for replacing it, just like every other part. Many many others here have memorialized that they've owned lots of cars that never had a regulator fail. And many here have replaced regulators around their cars, and then had to repeat the process over and over. Shameful that BMW never revisited this with a better part. Admittedly they did stop supplying the WP with plastic impeller.

Other issues exist.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #727
mkodama

Quote:
Other issues exist.
Yes, many BMW parts do fail over time. It seems you are unhappy with BMW about this, but lets keep not get too far off track. I am debating when to replace these parts because I think the advice given is wasteful, not debating that parts never fail.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #728
Stinger9

Quote:
It seems you are unhappy with BMW about this, but lets keep not get too far off track. I am debating when to replace these parts because I think the advice given is wasteful, not debating that parts never fail.
Let's focus here, you wrote: BMW doesn't list "replace the entire cooling system when you feel like it" in their service booklet for a reason; you don't need to.
And I took issue with your conclusion, not with anything BMW ever did, said, or made. That BMW doesn't say something does not prove you don't need to do it. They don't say replace your VCG, but many do because they have a finite life whereupon they begin to leak. BMW does not say to replace your radiator hoses but many do because when they get up in age, they will burst. They don't say to replace your DISA valve, but it is advisable because in some instances they fall apart and the steel pin falls into the valves.
So need is a matter of individual choice, not for you to say it's never valid to interpret things that way. Tell the owner whose car warps a head that he didn't need to replace cooling system parts. If you don't want to do anything prophylactically, so be it, but no one knows which cars needs this care in advance.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #729
mkodama

Quote:
Let's focus here, you wrote: BMW doesn't list "replace the entire cooling system when you feel like it" in their service booklet for a reason; you don't need to.
And I took issue with your conclusion, not with anything BMW ever did, said, or made. That BMW doesn't say something does not prove you don't need to do it. They don't say replace your VCG, but many do because they have a finite life whereupon they begin to leak. BMW does not say to replace your radiator hoses but many do because when they get up in age, they will burst. They don't say to replace your DISA valve, but it is advisable because in some instances they fall apart and the steel pin falls into the valves.
So need is a matter of individual choice, not for you to say it's never valid to interpret things that way. Tell the owner whose car warps a head that he didn't need to replace cooling system parts. If you don't want to do anything prophylactically, so be it, but no one knows which cars needs this care in advance.
I think if BMW doesn't say to do anything, it's pretty good reason not to do anything. If you decide to go against a manufacturer of any product, you better have some pretty good evidence to prove otherwise, and not just theories and guesses.

I don't think it needs to be written down that a visibly failed part needs to be replaced, so your leaking valve cover gasket example is pretty poor. Unless you are talking about replacing it just because you feel like it, in which case that is just silly.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #730
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
If you think window regulators fail only on E46s, you'd be mistaken. Also considering window regulators go probably 10 years between failures, I really wouldn't worry about them much. When it does fail, BMW has a procedure for replacing it, just like every other part.
But why none of my japanese cars have failed window regulator? Some of them are 10-15 years old. My current 10 year old Nissan's window movement feels really solid, unlike this E46 which is developing clicking sound and feels much weaker.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #731
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
Any thoughts on the Cool Experts expansion tank? BMA does not have the OEM at this time.

Joe

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #732
Stinger9

Go somewhere else where they do have the oe.

Plenty of vendors to pick from:

www.furiousmethod.com
Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #733
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I'll be doing my cooling system overhaul soon and will be replacing many parts before they fail.....why?? Because it is called a PM...preventative maintenance! !! I do my own repairs, and would rather have a car that I feel comfortable going on a 9 hour trip from home. Cost of parts is nothing compared to overheating or having the cooling system fail while say 7hours into the drive...and not even considering a warped head.. makes sense to me.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #734
Stinger9

Risks replacing a part that will never fail in your lifetime, but it's called insurance. Some disagree with this approach, but I say to each his own.
Rather not break down in the middle of Utah 1800 miles from home!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #735
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJ View Post
But why none of my japanese cars have failed window regulator? Some of them are 10-15 years old. My current 10 year old Nissan's window movement feels really solid, unlike this E46 which is developing clicking sound and feels much weaker.
My Toyota's window regulator failed.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #736
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty vert View Post
I'll be doing my cooling system overhaul soon and will be replacing many parts before they fail.....why?? Because it is called a PM...preventative maintenance! !! I do my own repairs, and would rather have a car that I feel comfortable going on a 9 hour trip from home. Cost of parts is nothing compared to overheating or having the cooling system fail while say 7hours into the drive...and not even considering a warped head.. makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJ View Post
Even if a single part in your Corollas, Civics, and Sentras never failed, they're still Corollas, Civics, and Sentras. Do you want to drive those instead? Go right ahead!!

(BTW, some Japanese cars can and do fail... in major ways.) I can write bibles about personal experiences with Japanese car failures. My E46 had to rescue a brand new Inifnity G37 several times.

It can happen to any car but its good to not think in too simple of terms.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #737
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Pretty much just purchased everything except for two pulleys and a new radiator...

Mango I wrote you an essay..
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #738
CrazyOneToo

My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post

Even if a single part in your Corollas, Civics, and Sentras never failed, they're still Corollas, Civics, and Sentras. Do you want to drive those instead? Go right ahead!!

(BTW, some Japanese cars can and do fail... in major ways.) I can write bibles about personal experiences with Japanese car failures. My E46 had to rescue a brand new Inifnity G37 several times.

It can happen to any car but its good to not think in too simple of terms.
I sooooo agree. My coworkers 2 year old Jeep has had two window regulators fail already.
He looked at some online forums and it seems its a regular thing with his model.
All cars have issues.
If you cant work on it yourself or afford to have it worked on then sell it and buy another brand that makes you happier.

1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #739
velaphi

My Ride: 330 ci
thanks guys, I have a 330 ci that has a problem of overheating since 2010, been all over with our local mechanics/garage but to no avail. thus- am in Gaborone Botswana (southern Africa)
could anybody in southern Africa advice.

velaphi
velaphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #740
Stinger9

If you want us to give you an educated opinion, let us know what the history of what you have already tried is?
Give as much detail so we do not duplicate thinking and recommendations that has already taken place!

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump