E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
JTripper
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325ci
The quest ... Mpg

Need a bit of help/advice. MY MPG sucks compared to the many other E46's I'm Currently @ 16.3. The highest I've gotten was 16.8 and that was before changing my O2 sensors. I installed 2 new 02 sensors last week, though i haven't taken her on the hwy as yet. I'M WONDERING WHAT CAN I DO TO FURTHER INCREASE MY MPG?

I have no lights on: SES CEL. My plugs are new (NGK's), Belt's new, Fuel Filter- new, Oil is fresh (Luiqi-Moly 5-30LL) Air Filter is new (within past month and a 1/2) I seafoamed her twice and Deep Creeped it once. I use prem/ultra 93 however I was forced to mix 2 weeks ago with the Hurricane situation here in NYC, but I used octane booster within 24 hrs of mixing 1/4 tank with half a tank of reg 87. I've inspected around the VANOS and don't see any leaks or issues. I also took off my TB, DISA and ICV all for cleaning and inspection, all seals are good and all parts are clean. WTF else to do? Do I have to drive to DC and back?

Last week i was at 16.3 and took a drive out to montauk and back to Brooklyn and only went up ONE STINKING point to 16.4 i was there till yesterday. I didn't use this car sat or sunday (yest) and when I started her up to move for alternate side parking I noticed the 16.3 MPG

Ride or DIE! #BavarianBeast #Gertrude is her name.
Fav car quote: "Maintenance before Mods"!

Trying to do this MOD asaphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-_o...rT_5bRlRc6GfPA

My lil Beast http://youtu.be/DT6FzACDskM
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
MonkeyMouse

My Ride: 2002 330i ZSP Mtech1
Dont trust the computers instant mpg reading. Mine usually hovers around 21 but I actually get around 24 if you calculate it yourself. Im asuming you know how to do that? Fill tank, reset trip, when empty refill and devide amount to refill by trip milage. Be aware that I tend to drive "normal" and hardly ever see over 3500rpm on daily driving.
1955 Chevy 1st series pickup

Last edited by MonkeyMouse; 11-19-2012 at 08:52 AM.
MonkeyMouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
san_siro

My Ride: 323i
Have you changed the CCV yet? I got about a 2mpg improvement after CCV was done.
san_siro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Hovs13

My Ride: E46 325ci
Try the following: disconnect the battery then re-connect. Doing this will reset the mpg display on the on board computer and you can then get a better idea of what is actually being consumed. since the computer will keep track of fuel usage per mile i suggest jumping on a free way immediately to see usage. if you're in stop and go traffic, it will show poor milage but over time will average.
Hovs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
zabalzae

My Ride: 01 330ci
Why disconnect the batter when you can do this :
"On the end of the left hand stalk there is a button to scroll through the OBC features. Set it so the mpg is displayed and then hold the button in until the display flashes a row of dashes."
zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
zabalzae

My Ride: 01 330ci
If you travel short distances your mpg will go down the drain bc it's always on open loop and never warms up... And it also depends on how you drive..
zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
If you haven't done VANOS seals yet I would go there next. If the seals are bad you could be driving with retarded timing. Are you consuming any oil?
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Hovs13

My Ride: E46 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabalzae View Post
"On the end of the left hand stalk there is a button to scroll through the OBC features. Set it so the mpg is displayed and then hold the button in until the display flashes a row of dashes."
Cool I didn't realize there was a feature to reset the mpg usage via the button on the left stalk. Thanks for the tip.
Hovs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
mkodama

Normal gas mileage for the city with probably a 15-20 mph speed average. All your gas just gets turned into heat in your cooling system at idle, and to heat in your rotors when you slow down. Additional gas will be wasted warming up your engine and catalytic converters every time you start your car from cold, which will hurt your mileage a lot of you only do short drives.

Last edited by mkodama; 12-13-2012 at 02:39 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
JTripper
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Oh wow cool didn't know that was possible either!! Much thanks!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
JTripper
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by san_siro View Post
Have you changed the CCV yet? I got about a 2mpg improvement after CCV was done.
Noooo, the ccv, vanos, tranny fluid & differential fluid are the areas I haven't touched yet. The vanos seems too in depth for me to DIY so I'll wait till I do my first major overhaul this spring (God's willing.... the world doesn't end next week! Lmfao). I figured over this winter I'll gather part up parts and stuff lil bit by lil bit so by mid-late march the vanos will be done. The tranny and diff are within 2-3 weeks from being changed.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
JTripper
OEM ///Member

Quote:
If you travel short distances your mpg will go down the drain bc it's always on open loop and never warms up... And it also depends on how you drive..
What so you mean by "open loop"?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
JTripper
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniel1 View Post
If you haven't done VANOS seals yet I would go there next. If the seals are bad you could be driving with retarded timing. Are you consuming any oil?
No I checked my oil for the first time in 5 weeks and to my surprise no consumption, just a lil browning of the oil, naturally, 3k since I changed the oil. Timing doesn't seem off, no hesitation or other noticeable symptoms.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
your thermostat might be stuck open

EDIT: Experienced this without CEL. found out once I ran codes on Autologic computer and GT1

Last edited by Rotha; 12-13-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #15
JTripper
OEM ///Member

Well hopefully I'll notice that soon. Plan to scan and code her in the near future (next 2-3 days hopefully)

Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
Your mpg is actually normal for town driving/short journeys/stop start. A quarter tank gives 45miles realistically around town. long distance 90 miles? Ive tried to drive like a granny in mine around town and the best i can see is upto 22-24mpg. And even that is difficult to maintain the moment you stop moving.