E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
farukh

My Ride: BMW 325i 2002
Camshaft Position Sensor? Need Help!

Hey guys! Thanks for stopping by.
Recently I got a new code and several new symptoms that my car never had before.

I start with the codes:
P0313 - Misfire... I had that before... Still can't rid of it, but I am not really concerned about it much.
P0365 - Camshaft Position Sensor B Bank-1... Now this one is new! I never had it before.
P0430 - Catalyst Eff... I had this one for a while... Couldn't figure out the reason... Some say, O2 sensors, others say exhaust leak... Couldn't find exhaust leak... so probably just need to change the O2s.

Anyway, P0365 is a new code and here are the symptoms that I started having:
1. Between 55 and 65 mph, car starts shaking very noticeably.
2. Acceleration! Sometimes it is awesome... just like any Bimmer should be, but sometimes is it horrible! You press on the gas and press... and nothing... and then suddenly the rpm just flies through the roof.
3. When I break, the car gets shaky sometimes.
4. Sometimes, rarely, I have a bad start, kind of hesitated.

Now, I had a bad oil leak from my VC. And on the camshaft seonsor, was a little oil... I cleaned it out thoroughly with the electrical cleaner though... but it didn't solve the problem.

My Vanos seals are new, fuel filter is new, fuel pump new, spark plugs new, coil boots new, VCG, oil separator, NO vacuum leaks, oil is fresh... Just in case for you guys to know lol

If anyone has ever had this P0365, please chime in. If anyone knows of symptoms of bad cam sensor B bank 1, whatever that is... chime in!

Thanks in advance!
farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
I'd be chasing the P0313. That's a misfire in cylinder #3 and that can cause your rough running symptoms.
P0430 is probably a bad catalytic converter. Big money.
P0365 is probably cheapest of all. Cam sensor or wiring.
I'm not an expert with BMW but that's my .02
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
If you replace the cam sensor make sure is oem, the eBay or aftermarket don't work right...

"May GOD grant you DOUBLE the amount you wish upon me!"
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelit View Post
I'd be chasing the P0313. That's a misfire in cylinder #3 and that can cause your rough running symptoms.
P0430 is probably a bad catalytic converter. Big money.
P0365 is probably cheapest of all. Cam sensor or wiring.
I'm not an expert with BMW but that's my .02
Thanks! I replaced the spark plugs and coil boots... so then the coil number 3... hmmm, gotta try that!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliott's-BMW View Post
If you replace the cam sensor make sure is oem, the eBay or aftermarket don't work right...
Thanks! Will do! Already had a bad experience with a sensor from eBay once lol
Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Mr.farukh,
I am dealing with exhaust CPS error as well.
Same thing as you had, VCG leak poured into the sensor and connector.

I ordered the sensor, o-ring and the bolt from fcpeuro.
Went to replace it, but for the life of mine couldnt take the stupid bolt out. Frustrated I just cleaned at connectors and the sensor harness with MAF cleaner.

The light has been off for me for almost a week, hopefully it will stay off. Else I do have the sensor, o-ring and the screw handy. But that 5mm hex is driving me crazy. I already dropped one 5mm allen key into the underbelly, I have one more but it just doesnt budge. **** scared to strip that bolt as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Mr.farukh,

Went to replace it, but for the life of mine couldnt take the stupid bolt out. Frustrated I just cleaned at connectors and the sensor harness with MAF cleaner.

The light has been off for me for almost a week, hopefully it will stay off. Else I do have the sensor, o-ring and the screw handy. But that 5mm hex is driving me crazy. I already dropped one 5mm allen key into the underbelly, I have one more but it just doesnt budge. **** scared to strip that bolt as well.
Damn! Well, at least the cleaning worked for you! I must admit, it kind of worked for me for the first 15 minutes of test drive right after, but the hash driving around 60 came again... I will try to do another cleaning again tomorrow!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by farukh View Post
Hey guys! Thanks for stopping by.
Recently I got a new code and several new symptoms that my car never had before.

I start with the codes:
P0313 - Misfire... I had that before... Still can't rid of it, but I am not really concerned about it much.
P0365 - Camshaft Position Sensor B Bank-1... Now this one is new! I never had it before.
P0430 - Catalyst Eff... I had this one for a while... Couldn't figure out the reason... Some say, O2 sensors, others say exhaust leak... Couldn't find exhaust leak... so probably just need to change the O2s.

Anyway, P0365 is a new code and here are the symptoms that I started having:
1. Between 55 and 65 mph, car starts shaking very noticeably.
2. Acceleration! Sometimes it is awesome... just like any Bimmer should be, but sometimes is it horrible! You press on the gas and press... and nothing... and then suddenly the rpm just flies through the roof.
3. When I break, the car gets shaky sometimes.
4. Sometimes, rarely, I have a bad start, kind of hesitated.

Now, I had a bad oil leak from my VC. And on the camshaft seonsor, was a little oil... I cleaned it out thoroughly with the electrical cleaner though... but it didn't solve the problem.

My Vanos seals are new, fuel filter is new, fuel pump new, spark plugs new, coil boots new, VCG, oil separator, NO vacuum leaks, oil is fresh... Just in case for you guys to know lol

If anyone has ever had this P0365, please chime in. If anyone knows of symptoms of bad cam sensor B bank 1, whatever that is... chime in!

Thanks in advance!
First off get your o2 sensors replaced, atleast the precat ones(though you are advised to change the post ones aswell).
Failing o2 sensors will fool the EMS that your car is running lean and will dump alot more fuel into the engine , giving sluggish performance and lots of other cons aswell.

The cat's in these cars last a lifetime , no need to go spend money on a new manifold before you've replaced the o2's.

As for your symptoms:

1. Tires,driveshaft or any driveline part can do this, most often it's unbalanced tires or a bad wheel bearing (but that would be audible and constant)
Anything you feel or hear at a certain speed is not related to the engine, if it's at a certain RPM then yes it's engine.
2. Camshaft sensor, stock EMS defaults to 360 degree engine cycle instead of 720 degree cycle, meanig alot less performance.
3. FCAB's or your front rotors are bad.
Do this to see if it's the FCAB's (or jack the car up and shake the wheel with your hands at 9 and 3 'o clock, if you can the fcab is bad)

4. Camshaft sensors again.

The B sensor is the exhaust side sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Mr.farukh,

Get yourself one of these :

You'll thank me if you ever do some maintnance on your car

Last edited by SweTurbo; 12-08-2012 at 10:33 PM.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
SWEturbo: What is that set called if I wanna do a search on amazon?
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweTurbo View Post
First off get your o2 sensors replaced, atleast the precat ones(though you are advised to change the post ones aswell).
Failing o2 sensors will fool the EMS that your car is running lean and will dump alot more fuel into the engine , giving sluggish performance and lots of other cons aswell.

The cat's in these cars last a lifetime , no need to go spend money on a new manifold before you've replaced the o2's.

As for your symptoms:

1. Tires,driveshaft or any driveline part can do this, most often it's unbalanced tires or a bad wheel bearing (but that would be audible and constant)
Anything you feel or hear at a certain speed is not related to the engine, if it's at a certain RPM then yes it's engine.
2. Camshaft sensor, stock EMS defaults to 360 degree engine cycle instead of 720 degree cycle, meanig alot less performance.
3. FCAB's or your front rotors are bad.
Do this to see if it's the FCAB's (or jack the car up and shake the wheel with your hands at 9 and 3 'o clock, if you can the fcab is bad)

4. Camshaft sensors again.

The B sensor is the exhaust side sensor.

Nice! My tires in fact are messed up! Gotta check the pressure! I don't have the stock rims anymore (325i 2002), instead I have 18" m3 oem rims, all fronts. And I have different tires on all 4 Also, should the psi be the same as it was on old wheel around 38?
And I will definitely check everything you advised!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweTurbo View Post

Yah, I am planning to get those. I tried with similar ratcheting torx(advised on the DIYs) as well but the screw didnt budge and tried to strip. So I stopped. Will buy those and try it again.

Thanks