E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Double walled. I blew in the ccv drain and it was clear. I'll get another gasket and put it back in. Just worried about the tiny bit of dirt.

Any real need to replace that throttle body seal or anything else?
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
We replace the throttle body seal whenever it is removed. Not necessary on the ICV gasket depending upon condition of the old one.

Was that a question regarding the double walled dipstick tube?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
Dreamliner330

Double walled dipstick, yes.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
Stinger9

If you've got it, they're known to clog and wreck the system. Many update to single wall, but if you're running clean, why?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Had this issue and it lead to miss fires in the engine. Dealership had to but a new valve cover in and clean the engine. $500

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
CoupeMagic323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Stinger9 dont some people drill a hole in the old style dipstick at a certain spot? cant find the link anywhere. A freind of mine that works at bmw was gonna do it. we pulled the dipstick and to our plesant surprise someone has already done it...but i didnt get to do the procedure so im not too sure how to determine where to put the hole.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
Stinger9

Interesting thought, but I've never heard of this. And drilling a hole in the dipstick would not have anything to do with the outer channel that has to flow the oil.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #28
Dreamliner330

I pulled the dipstick out, it was clean. Put the new seal on and put some oil on it. I took the plastic mounts of the bracket and the dipstick went on easier than it came out. I was pretty amazed, the mounting screw lined up and everything. I got the new valve cover on and found out it came with a gasket, so I can return the one I bought separately.

Tomorrow I'll finish up with the Oil Filter Housing Gasket and put the CCV back together.

Hopefully I'll connect everything right and wont end up with any extra screws or CELs.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #29
Dreamliner330

I got everything taken care of. The CCV went in without major issue, with the DISA and alternator out there is a lot of room to mess with it, I could actually see the mounting screws!

The line from the CCV that rotates up into position through the manifold had me nervous, it felt like it could twist more, but it was in position and I could not tug it off and everything connected in place.

I cleaned out the Throttle Body & Idle Control Valve with some Sea Foam Deep Creep.

Put everything back together and fired her up, no error codes or any issues at all.

Got the snow tires on just in time for the snowfall here in Minnesota...took it out for a quick spin

I'm a bit nervous about any dirt that may have fallen into the oil pan when I pulled the dipstick tube. Debating an oil change but I did it a couple thousand miles ago. I dunno.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 12-09-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #30
Stinger9

Put your fear to rest on this one.
A little dirt falling into the crankcase will hurt nothing. It will not get by the screen on the oil pickup for the oil pump. And if it went by there, it would next go into the oil filter before it goes to any critical parts that need to be lubricated. Relax.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #31
Dreamliner330

^good to know.

My car worked great last night. This morning it thew a code for a camshaft solenoid.

I forgot to plug in the intake Vanos solenoid electrical connector.

Sideways donuts in the parking lot this afternoon...

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 12-09-2012 at 03:09 PM.