E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
yonmoor

My Ride: Handbasket
Mushrooming strut towers revisited: M3 strut mounts vs. "regular" E46 strut mounts

Could it be that the M3's strut towers are less prone to mushrooming not only because many of them come with a strut brace from the factory, but also because an M3 strut mount looks like this...

Versus a regular E46 one that looks like this?

The one on the M3 looks quite a bit beefier. This is a recent discovery for me. da. fuq.
yonmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I do believe they play a large role.

I don't think you can simply swap M3 strut mounts though. IIRC camber would be off, and they don't accept standard diameter springs (unlike non-M mounts)

I don't know if they're any stronger, but it looks like E30 mounts may fit.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-09-2012 at 01:35 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Ruthlessone3k

My Ride: 323i
This seems like a more likely culprit of mushrooming than the lack of a strut tower brace. I'm getting the rough road package soon and might look into reinforcing these while I'm at it
Ruthlessone3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthlessone3k View Post
This seems like a more likely culprit of mushrooming than the lack of a strut tower brace. I'm getting the rough road package soon and might look into reinforcing these while I'm at it
Wtf is the rough road package
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Ruthlessone3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Wtf is the rough road package
It' is basically just a metal plate that sandwiches between the top of the strut and the underside of the strut tower. From reading around it seems like these were standard equipment in eastern European countries where they are known for having rough roads.

you can get the here for $19.90 http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-32...ates-pair.aspx

since my car is lowered and has stiffer suspension, I'm going to git them a try. It certainly can't hurt.

Last edited by Ruthlessone3k; 12-09-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
mkodama

Probably would help, since the aluminum of the non-m mount is incredibly soft, but the M3 mounts are also four times the price. Just flatten your strut towers if they are already bent with a 2x4 and a 5 pound sledge hammer and install the rough road package plates; much cheaper and easier unless you want to mix and match parts.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
It' is basically just a metal plate that sandwiches between the top of the strut and the underside of the strut tower. From reading around it seems like these were standard equipment in eastern European countries where they are known for having rough roads.

you can get the here for $19.90 http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-32...ates-pair.aspx

since my car is lowered and has stiffer suspension, I'm going to git them a try. It certainly can't hurt.
I am very familiar with the plates and I've considered them myself. But I've NEVER heard them called the rough road package.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
mkodama

Quote:
I am very familiar with the plates and I've considered them myself. But I've NEVER heard them called the rough road package.
The correct term is "Poor Road Package" and for the front suspension it included a spacer between the strut bearing and strut tower, a reinforcement plate for the strut tower, and a blind rivet to hold the reinforcement plate in place.

Parts 12, 13, and 14

Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
Ruthlessone3k

Any idea where to get part #12 at? Cant seem to find it anywhere.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
mkodama

Quote:
Any idea where to get part #12 at? Cant seem to find it anywhere.
Do you really want to raise your suspension?

Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
Ruthlessone3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Do you really want to raise your suspension?
Yeah, it sits way too low. I'm currently rubbing in the rear with 16's and the front will with 17's

Last edited by Ruthlessone3k; 12-09-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
yes the plates are two components from the "Rough Road Package". but correct, the "re-inforcement plates" are not "thee" Rough Road Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
The correct term is "Poor Road Package" and for the front suspension it included a spacer between the strut bearing and strut tower, a reinforcement plate for the strut tower, and a blind rivet to hold the reinforcement plate in place.
It's more commonly listed as "Rough Road Package" but true it's also listed within BMW as "Poor Road" as well.
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/10/98/80