E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #41
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,536
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choleaoum View Post
That's an old setup, don't be quick to judge. I went threw 4 different sets of Rims already. My customers can vouch for my car and creditability. Just cus I don't waste my day posting doesn't mean I'm not aware.

And yes, I get customers all the time saying "some crazy guy on the forums told me to replace my entire cooling system"

Last night ironically I got a fortune cookie that said "don't fix what's not broken".
Oh. I wasn't talking about your wheels. I also get people coming up to me saying "I wish I had seen your thread earlier--my car overheated and engine warped."

People against thorough preventive maintenance simply can't afford to drive these cars. Period. Yet they try to mask it as them being more experienced or intelligent than you. I can see right through your smokescreen.

You'll spend $8,000 on a car, $2,500 on modz (wheelz, tirez, racelandz, more racelandz) blacked out gwills, innercoolerz, yet you so vehemently are against a proper refresh of the cooling system for $500-720.

Nothing further.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #42
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!
 
choleaoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,715
My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
Oh I agree completely and people should have priorities. I disagree how you jump to conclusions and the way you are suggesting your advice without getting all the details. It doesn't hurt to have nice things and treat yourself every now and then.

While im already off topic, im going to say calstatelb has a ton of hot girls today oh my god.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #43
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,536
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choleaoum View Post
Oh I agree completely and people should have priorities. I disagree how you jump to conclusions and the way you are suggesting your advice without getting all the details. It doesn't hurt to have nice things and treat yourself every now and then.

While im already off topic, im going to say calstatelb has a ton of hot girls today oh my god.
If you read my threads and the advice I give in them, you'll see that they are only guides and recommendations. Maybe you are the one jumping to conclusions.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #44
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!
 
choleaoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,715
My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
obviously there are more people who agree that you go overboard with the cooling system preaching or else these threads would not exist. so i think it's safe to assume i'm not jumping to any conclusions here. and i was under the impression having wide rims, stretched tires and poke was "stanced". my car has full H&R's coilovers, racing dynamics sways front&rear, rogue engineering short shifter, and a full overhaul from bushings to coolant to even motor mounts and screws. I don't like to gloat about it like you do.

I actually use my bike rack to get some cardio in, just incase your curious.

maybe its my mtech or leatherette interior that makes me stanced, who knows.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #45
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,536
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choleaoum View Post
obviously there are more people who agree that you go overboard with the cooling system preaching or else these threads would not exist. so i think it's safe to assume i'm not jumping to any conclusions here. and i was under the impression having wide rims, stretched tires and poke was "stanced". my car has full H&R's coilovers, racing dynamics sways front&rear, rogue engineering short shifter, and a full overhaul from bushings to coolant to even motor mounts and screws. I don't like to gloat about it like you do.

I actually use my bike rack to get some cardio in, just incase your curious.

maybe its my mtech or leatherette interior that makes me stanced, who knows.
Shrug
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #46
Wolrab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 485
My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Can you buy a new tank without the cap? Bought one in Feb. Came with a cap.
Just as well. You need it anyway. They come without cap in the USA, which invites people not to replace the cap. It would be better if we didn't have the choice.
__________________
Engineers do it with a torque wrench
Wolrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #47
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,536
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Just as well. You need it anyway. They come without cap in the USA, which invites people not to replace the cap. It would be better if we didn't have the choice.
I like this answer. Although many are on board with preventive maint., you, sir, stand out from the crowd. Your way of doing things and your spreadsheets have officially made you qualified to join my cooling army as an elite cooling officer. Remember the scene from inglorious basterds where brad pitt recruits a small elite army of 6?

DMAX has already volunteered to be the bear jew... instead of a bat, he'll use two old crusty radiators to bust heads with.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #48
veli510
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 90
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
my expansion tank cap went bad. the o-rings got toast, so i decided to go to OSH and get new orings for them. The brand is DANCO #27 #10382. they seem to fit perfectly like the original.
veli510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #49
vandyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 363
My Ride: 2001 325i
No doubt there is sound logic in Mango's stance of pre-emptive cooling replacement, but none of the BMW mechanics I know agree with that approach. One guy (Will) has been involved in racing, repairing and rebuilding BMWs since the early 70's, and my best friend Alex is ASE certified and has been working on euro cars since the early 80's. Those two guys say you replace things as you need to, because they've seen factory E46 cooling system parts go to 200k miles and still be fine. But that also entails being a responsible car owner who takes care of their car and is alert for signs of problems.

Mango, I believe your advice is excellent for most of us who tend to ignore problems. I have replaced a leaking ET and admit to recently doing a pre-emptive thermotat replacement while I did a tensioner pulley because thermostats have crapped out on every euro car I've owned over 100k miles. My hoses are in good condition. The other key parts give off warning signs when they die and I will respond appropriately. I had over 200k on my E30 with the original radiator, lower hose, temp switch and fan clutch.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #50
MercForHire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Waterloo,Ontario
Posts: 4,406
My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
No doubt there is sound logic in Mango's stance of pre-emptive cooling replacement, but none of the BMW mechanics I know agree with that approach. One guy (Will) has been involved in racing, repairing and rebuilding BMWs since the early 70's, and my best friend Alex is ASE certified and has been working on euro cars since the early 80's. Those two guys say you replace things as you need to, because they've seen factory E46 cooling system parts go to 200k miles and still be fine. But that also entails being a responsible car owner who takes care of their car and is alert for signs of problems.

Mango, I believe your advice is excellent for most of us who tend to ignore problems. I have replaced a leaking ET and admit to recently doing a pre-emptive thermotat replacement while I did a tensioner pulley because thermostats have crapped out on every euro car I've owned over 100k miles. My hoses are in good condition. The other key parts give off warning signs when they die and I will respond appropriately. I had over 200k on my E30 with the original radiator, lower hose, temp switch and fan clutch.

Give the man a hand !
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #51
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,409
My Ride: '00 328i
Nevermind.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)

Last edited by peytonracer4; 12-09-2012 at 07:47 AM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #52
RayPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,435
My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by veli510 View Post
my expansion tank cap went bad. the o-rings got toast, so i decided to go to OSH and get new orings for them. The brand is DANCO #27 #10382. they seem to fit perfectly like the original.
I know this is an old thread but when you say your cap O rings got toasted what do you mean? What were the symptoms? Reason for asking is that I had a new rad and tank(with cap) fitted in Feb this year (2012) and I have had the cap off several times since for routine fluid checks. Last week trying to get the cap off it seems to not want to come off for some reason. I am reluctant to force it until I garnish some opinion. Feels like it sticky. I should say its not leaking. The car has never overheated neither before or after the rad/tank replacement. Anyone else had this? Any thoughts?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #53
jayb328i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 810
My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Had problem with the ET cap and replaced just that. That was 4 years ago, and it solved the problem.
NOW--I am getting ready to do a complete cooling system.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bumper gap, expansion tank cap alloy, stance, teddy bear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use