E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
chickenalfredo

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Strange idle vibrations

So I've already had my local indy shop look at my car to see if these vibrations were a big issue and they told me I shouldn't have any problems and that I should come back if it gets any worse. It only happens when I'm braking at a red light or a stop sign in drive or reverse. So it doesn't happen when I'm in neutral or park.

Basically there are two areas I will feel vibrations depending on what the idle speed is. My e46 will idle around 800-900 rpm @ cold start and the vibration can be felt from the steering wheel and center of the car.

When my engine warms up, the idle speed goes down to ~550-600 then I start feeling the vibrations along my drivers side door panel (Im assuming that the vibrations are propagating along the outer edge of my e46 at this point).

It's really strange, and my local indy couldn't tell me what it was. They looked at the exhaust, brakes area, felt the engine, looked under the engine, and couldn't give me an answer.

Any ideas?
chickenalfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Check vac lines and check your state of 'tune'--plugs, filters, oil...check pulleys/belts...lower intake boot. Read jfoj's sig file on 'misfires' and look around for other vac lines/hoses--especially the line from brake booster.

Maybe clean icv and tb...replace 0-rings/gaskets/grommet (for icv) while the getting is good.

Get under your cabin air filter housing in back of intake manifold to find some of the hoses that might be of issue. I'm feeling the brake booster, but it could be any number of things.

hth

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Also check your engine mounts.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
chickenalfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Check vac lines and check your state of 'tune'--plugs, filters, oil...check pulleys/belts...lower intake boot. Read jfoj's sig file on 'misfires' and look around for other vac lines/hoses--especially the line from brake booster.

Maybe clean icv and tb...replace 0-rings/gaskets/grommet (for icv) while the getting is good.

Get under your cabin air filter housing in back of intake manifold to find some of the hoses that might be of issue. I'm feeling the brake booster, but it could be any number of things.

hth
Thanks guys, I will check these things out. I really wish my BMW was smart enough to tell me what the cause was on its own, guess you can't have a sensor for everything.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Sounds like an engine mount is bad to me.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
chickenalfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Sounds like an engine mount is bad to me.
Actually I asked BMW of Anchorage if they've heard of common or similar issues to mine. He said that because "we" lived in Anchorage, Alaska the highest octane offered is 90 (I already knew this). Apparently, not all 90 octanes are the same quality. I fill up my e46 on Costco premium 90 octane and I guess that's the worst here. The BMW technician recommended that I fill up on Chevron 90 octane fuel. I will try that on my next fill up.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenalfredo View Post
Actually I asked BMW of Anchorage if they've heard of common or similar issues to mine. He said that because "we" lived in Anchorage, Alaska the highest octane offered is 90 (I already knew this). Apparently, not all 90 octanes are the same quality. I fill up my e46 on Costco premium 90 octane and I guess that's the worst here. The BMW technician recommended that I fill up on Chevron 90 octane fuel. I will try that on my next fill up.
I'm not sure if they are a gimmick or not, but you can buy octane booster. Add some of that and see if it smooths things out. I think they might be a legitimate product. 90 octane should be fine anyway though. The engine will just change the valve timing to compensate for lower/higher octanes.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Unfortunately you like in a VERY severe climate at times.

It sounds like your idle my be a bit low?

Rubber shrinks and gets very hard in the low temps you probably live in.

Also suggest if you can find someone with scan tool to check your fuel trims to see what is going on this my yield some clues?

Suggest you check the first link below in my signature for more info and since you live in a very cold location at times, I would be very careful with the "orange sludge" and the CCV system.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
chickenalfredo

So I know I asked about this awhile ago, and I tried looking for the cause by myself but I still am not sure. I should mention again that the vibrations vary either felt from the center front of the car (center console/steering wheel/dashboard) or the front drivers door and front passenger door.

The vibrations are mostly felt only when the car is in drive or reverse when braking. When i'm in neutral or park, the vibrations are 1/10 of whats mentioned above, very insignificant, where I can barely feel it.

I would describe the drive/reverse vibrations as the "low" setting on a back massager, maybe even less than that. I'm thinking its the motor mounts as Solidjake has mentioned. I'm thinking about paying BMW $120 to diagnose the vibrations. Do you guys think it would be better to just pay the $320 at my local indy to just have the motor mounts replaced without getting a diagnostics by BMW?

Again, thanks for all the advice and help guys! Appreciate it.

Last edited by chickenalfredo; 02-04-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
ClaytonL

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Also check your engine mounts.

I have experienced exactly what you are talking about, OP. Also, the same thing in 2 other e46s that I know. All of them were fixed with new OEM motor mounts. In fact, the worst e46 had his motor mounts completely broken in half! My idle went from back massager at stop lights to silk again. For around $80 and 2 hours of your day, you can't go wrong! Don't forget new nuts!

Last edited by ClaytonL; 02-04-2013 at 12:50 AM.
ClaytonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
heechkass

My Ride: 323i Touring, 2000
No codes?
heechkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #12
chickenalfredo

Don't you have to pull out the engine to replace the two mounts? By the way, because my BMW is an xi (automatic) just the parts alone are ~120-130 online.

@heechkass Nope! Car runs great in every other area. The vibrations are annoying at worst.

Last edited by chickenalfredo; 02-04-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
heechkass

You don't have to pull engine out to change mounts. There are plenty of how to on the web.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #14
ClaytonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenalfredo View Post
Don't you have to pull out the engine to replace the two mounts? By the way, because my BMW is an xi (automatic) just the parts alone are ~120-130 online.

@heechkass Nope! Car runs great in every other area. The vibrations are annoying at worst.
Sorry. I overlooked that. Yes, the parts are a little higher but will still be worth it. Just as heechkass said, there are many. Just look up RWD ones and follow those. Just the passenger side will be a bit different but you will see how it's done once you're in there. This will give you a chance to check your pulleys and water pump since you will have the fan off already. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
chickenalfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonL View Post
Sorry. I overlooked that. Yes, the parts are a little higher but will still be worth it. Just as heechkass said, there are many. Just look up RWD ones and follow those. Just the passenger side will be a bit different but you will see how it's done once you're in there. This will give you a chance to check your pulleys and water pump since you will have the fan off already. Good luck!
Will it require more steps if I decide to change out the transmission mount as well? Should I replace the transmission mount?

Thanks ClaytonL
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #16
ClaytonL

I believe the transmission mount will have to be cut out. Not a simple swap like the RWD. Not 100% sure on this one. Maybe someone with an xi can help out more.
If this were me, I would just replace the motor mounts with OEM and see where you are at from there.

A couple of tips I remembered, don't skimp on removing the radiator fan or cabin air filter. The engine WILL be lifted a couple of inches. Do passenger side first.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #17
chickenalfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonL View Post
I believe the transmission mount will have to be cut out. Not a simple swap like the RWD. Not 100% sure on this one. Maybe someone with an xi can help out more.
If this were me, I would just replace the motor mounts with OEM and see where you are at from there.

A couple of tips I remembered, don't skimp on removing the radiator fan or cabin air filter. The engine WILL be lifted a couple of inches. Do passenger side first.
Cool! Thanks. I guess when I first thought about this DIY, I thought about the chance of getting smushed by my engine and didn't want to do it. I'll look more into it.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
heechkass

I'm still stuck on your low idle...500rpm is low!! You may have other things going on as well.

So although. given the age of the car, you may need new bushings all around (Motor mounts, tranny, and differential)....your car may need other things. Just give it a good look when you're in there next time. This is the main reason I work on my own cars... To be able to check other parts and PM it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
chickenalfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heechkass View Post
I'm still stuck on your low idle...500rpm is low!! You may have other things going on as well.

So although. given the age of the car, you may need new bushings all around (Motor mounts, tranny, and differential)....your car may need other things. Just give it a good look when you're in there next time. This is the main reason I work on my own cars... To be able to check other parts and PM it.
Well it's sometimes at 500 rpm idle and sometimes around 800 rpm idle. Just whatever the car feels is most efficient? Remember my car is in Anchorage, Alaska.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
teleopti

My Ride: BMW 330i
coils