E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #41
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,483
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I am sure it is much tougher than you think just to "lateral transfer" into an EOD position. a lateral transfer imply that you can just swap position with minimal paperwork/training.

also...you claimed to be a naval aviator. any competent pilot would never give up flying for ANYONE or ANYTHING so this makes me wonder why you want to switch to an EOD spot.

EOD is one of the most technical job and their graduation rate is very low due to the high standards of exams/test requirements but good luck on your "lateral transfer" though
You do understand that an officer wouldn't be an EOD tech, right?
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
You do understand that an officer wouldn't be an EOD tech, right?
Altough officers might not be an EOD tech (ie..the guy/girl that deactivates the UXO) he needs to have an EOD background.

How can you "lead" and "Command" Soldiers underneath you when you lack the foundation or can't understand/comprehend what they are enduring and what they are experiencing.

I am sure every EOD officer has some officer type EOD training
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #43
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by broey v View Post
you are giving him way too much credit.

that pix doesn't proof anything. All that letter proof was that he has a letter from his congress woman. I am not even sure it is addressed to him. Heck, that letter can be for anything. It can be a rejection letter stating that the congresswoman regrets to inform him that she was unable to nominate him (or he wasnt her primary nomination). that letter can be anything that is why he blocks everything on there.

flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #44
B_Cyrus
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Yarmouk, Syria Valentine: Kushy
Posts: 9,438
My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
That's awesome man. I'm thinking about doing a lateral transfer to EOD.
Good luck. A friend of a friend tried doing that while he was at Pensacola, and he showed up at EOD and they didn't have a job for him. He then went back to Pensacola and lost his spot. The Navy is considering giving him the boot
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #45
pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: awesomeville
Posts: 86
My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
you are giving him way too much credit.

that pix doesn't proof anything. All that letter proof was that he has a letter from his congress woman. I am not even sure it is addressed to him. Heck, that letter can be for anything. It can be a rejection letter stating that the congresswoman regrets to inform him that she was unable to nominate him (or he wasnt her primary nomination). that letter can be anything that is why he blocks everything on there.

he posted as much info as I would if I were asked the same thing

good enough for me.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #46
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,744
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I am sure it is much tougher than you think just to "lateral transfer" into an EOD position. a lateral transfer imply that you can just swap position with minimal paperwork/training.

also...you claimed to be a naval aviator. any competent pilot would never give up flying for ANYONE or ANYTHING so this makes me wonder why you want to switch to an EOD spot.

EOD is one of the most technical job and their graduation rate is very low due to the high standards of exams/test requirements but good luck on your "lateral transfer" though
excuse me, but WTF do you know?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
excuse me, but WTF do you know?
why are you so defensive? I am not stating anything that is inaccurate.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #48
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,744
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
That's awesome man. I'm thinking about doing a lateral transfer to EOD.
Dunno how easy or difficult if possible it would be if you really are a fly boy... BUT, theyre instructors here that went from SEALs to EOD, and a few students with Ranger tabs and stuff like that.
From what i understand, to come into EOD from almost anywhere is doable, as its critically manned, but if your job is already a high demand critical job, you might actually have to EAS and then switch. Ive heard of a guy that did that a few years ago as the SEALs wouldnt let him transfer. So i dunno how the fly boy stuff works, BUT, expect to catch a lot of flack if you do, as it seems most techs dont like flyboys.... at least, thats the vibe i get.
We lost a tech last year too that was a RECON Marine then went EOD. so its doable, but with what it costs to become a pilot, i dont think they'd like your idea of abandoning them.

Id say a good 50%-60% of the students here are lat moves.
Marine corps you have to be a E4 about to be E5 or E5, so all of them are coming from somethign else. Some of the Navy guys are lat moves, the rest seem to be BUD/S washouts or pipe liners. AF and Army have boots as well as lat moves, but mostly boots. id guess 3-4 lat moves for every boot.


Also, as a zero, your EOD career is short, Corps doesnt have many, most were enlisted then warrants, then full zeros. AF, you have to an Engineering degree im told, because they fall under the Engineering side, and blah blah....
Army officers seem to come from wherever, and Navy, im not so sure how their officer side works, but what i see and hear from talking to them, is you do EOD from 01-like 03, and then when youre about to pin 04, if you dont get lucky and get a high position in a EOD type deal, they send you back to the engineering side of the house.

There are very few crab wearers that are 04 and higher from what i see. As its just a short path for EOD officers, and not a lot of need for Majors and higher it seems.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?

Last edited by Snik; 12-09-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #49
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,744
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
why are you so defensive? I am not stating anything that is inaccurate.
Defensive? Thats not defensive, thats being rude, and frank. WTF do you know about EOD or the military?
Youre always up in these Mil threads giving your 2 cents, yet youve never worn any of the uniforms, or served so all youre going off is 2nd and 3rd hand information, which 9/10 times isnt totally accurate.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?

Last edited by Snik; 12-09-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #50
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Defensive? Thats not defensive, thats being rude, and frank. WTF do you know about EOD or the military?
Youre always up in these threads giving your 2 cents, yet youve never wore any of the uniforms, so all youre going off is 2nd and 3rd hand information, which 9/10 times isnt totally accurate.
I am glad you admit that you are rude.

so since i am wrong....are you admitting to the following:

So you admitt that your job isn't technical? I said that EOD is extremely technical.

So you admitt that the graduation rate is very high for EOD? I said that graduation rate for EOD is very low due to its high standards and strict testing standards

you Sir is very defensive and lack social graces

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-09-2012 at 03:08 PM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #51
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I am sure it is much tougher than you think just to "lateral transfer" into an EOD position. a lateral transfer imply that you can just swap position with minimal paperwork/training.

also...you claimed to be a naval aviator. any competent pilot would never give up flying for ANYONE or ANYTHING so this makes me wonder why you want to switch to an EOD spot.

EOD is one of the most technical job and their graduation rate is very low due to the high standards of exams/test requirements but good luck on your "lateral transfer" though
For one, do you speak for all pilots? While I agree with you that most pilots don't want to give up flying, you can't make a broad generalization as to what motivates people. Who knows, perhaps some want a career change and do something else. Also, what does being competent have anything to do with wanting to make a career change? Nothing.

And two, yes, being EOD is technical, but being a pilot isn't very technical? I bet they just let anyone fly fighter jets...


Last edited by MDydinanM; 12-09-2012 at 03:12 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
Pierce1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LaConner WA.
Posts: 283
My Ride: 03 330xi
[QUOTE=NOVAbimmer;14962958]

12B/O3, Engineer Captain, West Virginia National Guard.

Me too. Only I have resigned now.
But was in the Reserves in a Bailey bridge company.
I got my commission at OCS at Ft. Benning.
Very glad I did it!!
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #53
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
For one, do you speak for all pilots? While I agree with you that most pilots don't want to give up flying, you can't make a broad generalization as to what motivates people. Who knows, perhaps some want a career change and do something else. Also, what does being competent have anything to do with wanting to make a career change? Nothing.

And two, so being a pilot isn't very technical huh? I bet they just let anyone fly fighter jets...

wow...putting words in my mouth. major fail

when did I say a Pilot job isn't technical?

I will say this much though...back in the old days being a fighter pilot means much more. you basically have to "have the right stuff." now they make exceptions and gives waivers to people. for example, back in the old days you must have 20/20 vision but now they give our waivers to people with LASIK/PRK surgery.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #54
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,744
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I am glad you admit that you are rude.

so since i am wrong....are you admitting to the following:

So you admitt that your job isn't technical? I said that EOD is extremely technical.

So you admitt that the graduation rate is very high for EOD? I said that graduation rate for EOD is very low due to its high standards and strict testing standards

you Sir is very defensive and lack social graces
oh wow, did you googled that sh1t?
So being a pilot is cake compared to being an EOD tech right?
Youre reasons for discouraging dude are all based on the wrong things.

youre trying to talk like you know whats up, but you really dont and youre just posting general sh1t that everyone knows.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #55
B_Cyrus
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Yarmouk, Syria Valentine: Kushy
Posts: 9,438
My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
wow...putting words in my mouth. major fail

when did I say a Pilot job isn't technical?

I will say this much though...back in the old days being a fighter pilot means much more. you basically have to "have the right stuff." now they make exceptions and gives waivers to people. for example, back in the old days you must have 20/20 vision but now they give our waivers to people with LASIK/PRK surgery.
So I guess all women should have stayed in the kitchen and blacks shouldn't be able to have civil rights, yeah?

It's called progression, and it included technological advances.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #56
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
oh wow, did you googled that sh1t?
So being a pilot is cake compared to being an EOD tech right?
Youre reasons for discouraging dude are all based on the wrong things.

youre trying to talk like you know whats up, but you really dont and youre just posting general sh1t that everyone knows.

oh at first my stuff was "inacurrate" and now you suddenly it is just "general knowledge that everyone knows."

insecurities much?
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #57
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
So I guess all women should have stayed in the kitchen and blacks shouldn't be able to have civil rights, yeah?

It's called progression, and it included technological advances.
oh Bee Cyrus...didn't know it was you cuz of the sig. can you change your sig though. that black dude is creeping me out. who is he by the wya?

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-09-2012 at 03:18 PM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #58
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
wow...putting words in my mouth. major fail

when did I say a Pilot job isn't technical?

I will say this much though...back in the old days being a fighter pilot means much more. you basically have to "have the right stuff." now they make exceptions and gives waivers to people. for example, back in the old days you must have 20/20 vision but now they give our waivers to people with LASIK/PRK surgery.
You made an implication that because EOD jobs are technical, that being a pilot is less, including that a pilot couldn't handle the technicals of EOD school. I can feel safe saying that if a pilot can handle the technicals of being a pilot, i'm sure they can handle the technicals of going to EOD.

So I didn't have to put words in your mouth for that - we all can read between the lines. So you did it yourself.

Secondly, if the standard is 20/20 vision, and laser corrective surgery makes a person 20/20, whats your point? They meet the standard. So who cares. Back in the "old days" they didn't have laser corrective surgery. Now they do.

Where it really matters, once a person get past the flight medical requirements, is the academics and challenges at flight school. That's where the "right stuff" is really proven.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 12-09-2012 at 03:40 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #59
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,744
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
oh at first my stuff was "inacurrate" and now you suddenly it is just "general knowledge that everyone knows."

insecurities much?

if its general knowledge that you found on the interwebz yeah, that stuff may be true, but as for it being a reason for him not to try, no, thats very inaccurate.

again, the real problems he may face is the ones i mentioned, not because the school is tough, and hard, and blah blah and all this BS youre posting.

Youre talking out your ass, and its obvious. be quiet.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #60
pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: awesomeville
Posts: 86
My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
*cough* that time of the month *cough*
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use